I need some background info on this engine please. - RC Groups
Oct 25, 2015, 08:54 AM
Question

I need some background info on this engine please.

Apear to be a helicopter engine but its confusing to think how confortable is to use with the cone starter in the back.
Ist an OS 61 RF HS.
What the HS stands for?
Any info will be appreciated and its new in box, its also listed for sale.
Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2015, 02:08 PM
Helicopter Pilot
It may not be a helicopter engine. It could be a ducted fan engine. I have one with a similar head and rear exhaust.

I could only find a match on this page:
http://www.osengines.com/parts/engin...continued.html

Rafael
Oct 26, 2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks.
Probably you are correct, f its a heli engine,there is no need for the rear cone so it must be a ducted fan engine.
Thanks.
Oct 26, 2015, 03:31 PM
Helicopter Pilot
The rear cone is not the only thing that would make it a ducted fan. Back in the 80s helicopter engines had the rear cone, but did not have rear exhaust. the combination of rear exhaust, rear cone, and big head is what steers me in the direction of ducted fan. Also when I looked at the OS Engines website, similar engines were grouped in the "airplanes" and "ducted fan" category.

Rafael
Oct 26, 2015, 04:14 PM
Thank you
Oct 26, 2015, 10:20 PM
Closed Account
It is a heli engine. The HS refers to the cone start. Its intended for a scale helicopter such as the Hirobo scale models that were popular in the mid to late 80's
Oct 27, 2015, 06:09 AM

Thanks

Thank you.
How much can this engine be worth? Im sellong it.
Thanks.
Oct 27, 2015, 07:56 AM
the great Gassif´er
Although the rear starting cone is a bit rare (at least, I have never seen one IRL), apart from that it is a pretty standard Heli engine, and an older type at that.

I have had several SF engines (same engine but side exhaust) and they were absolutely good engines, at least the ringed versions were. The ABN versions were just as good, but could suffer from peeling.

So I guess, they are worth what any NIB discontinued engine is worth.... not much, unless you find a collector that is willing to pay because of the starting cone....

Brgds, Bert