Oct 25, 2015, 02:43 AM
flying monkey
Thread OP
Contest

FAI F3K World Cup Series 2016

Dear pilots and organizers,

with only one contest out of 15 remaining (Bruno Pavani's event in Brazil on 21./22. November 2015), the FAI F3K World Cup season is almost over. Now it's time to summarize and look ahead to 2016.

Summary:
There are currently 318 pilots from 33 different nations in the ranking - already about 8% more than last year. So it's fair to say, that the World Cup Series is popular and growing. There is a good mix of bigger and smaller contests and while there obviously is a concentration in central Europe there are also events in Asia and Southern America and I am always striving to make the World Cup even more international.
Unfortunately two contests could not meet the rule to have at least two nations competing and where thus not included in the overall ranking. I hope the organizers don't despair and still offer their event next year in hope for more international interest.
The current top 3 are Mattias Hammarskiöld (SWE), Martin Herrig (GER) and Vincent Merlijn (NED). While the first spot seems to be secured, it's still possible to see shifts on the other podium spots. You can see the full ranking at http://www.fai.org/world-cups/f3k-hand-launch-gliders

Outlook:
The crucial deadline for registering international contests for the FAI calendar is November 15th. This has to be done via your national airsports authority with the form you can download from http://www.fai.org/downloads/ciam/CI...gistration_WEF .
I already got some replies from organizers who will host a World Cup event next year, but there is still room for more, especially from the Americas, Asia and the Pacific region.
If you are planning to host World Cup event next year or have already registered, please let me know, so I can better coordinate the dates. You can contact me via PM here or send an email to [email protected]

I'm looking forward to an exciting season 2016!

Friedmar
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2015, 03:22 AM
launch low, fly high
Friedmar,

Thanks for the update! Some interesting scores and placements. I am a bit curious about Martin Herrings score as shown for the German open event in the fai score sheet. If he received a 47 pt score in the German open, why wasn't it used in his total score?

I was a bit surprised to see my name in 4th position as I had only flown in two world cup events in total.
Oct 25, 2015, 12:50 PM
Jens Hoffmann
JW !!!
Might be because of the exception from 01.01. 2014 as stated in the rules.

"For the World Cup-ranking the best three competitions of the year are counted for
each pilot. Only one competition result per country will count towards the overall
ranking.
Exception (effective from 01.01.2014*): In the case of more than three (3)
competitions in one country the results (the better results) of maximal two (2)
competitions in that country will count and the overall ranking will be determined from
the results of four (4) events. "
Zerbst, Uetze, Herten are German comps.
Oct 25, 2015, 01:08 PM
flying monkey
Thread OP
Exactly. It's a WORLD Cup after all, so pilots are meant to compete internationally.
The exception for countries with more than three contests was introduced with F3B in mind, where there is a large concentration of events in central Europe (especially Germany), as to not penalize organizers too much for stepping up to host a large event.

Friedmar
Oct 25, 2015, 01:50 PM
Rick Rogahn
I'm probably going to get flamed pretty hard for saying this, but calling it a World Cup is like calling the winner of the Superbowl in American Football or the 'World Series' in Baseball the 'World Champion'. Geographically, 87% of the contests are held within ~1000 miles (~1600km) from the geographical center of Europe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...oint_of_Europe. I'm excluding Israel and Brazil of course. If you chose more of a population center of Europe, say Prague; you can cut that distance in half or more. Looking at the location of the contests, this is just another European championship.

If there were the same number of contests in Europe, North America, South America, Aussie-land and Asia; I'd be more inclined to call this a World Cup.

Flame on .
Oct 25, 2015, 01:53 PM
launch low, fly high
Thanks for the responses! I am less ignorant now.

Congrats to Mattias, Martin, and... Tantalus Forever!
Oct 25, 2015, 03:46 PM
M Seid
If everyone planning to come to the ihlgf 2016 is willing to get their FAI license, I'm sure we would consider making the contest a stop on the tour.

-2016 ihlgf cd.
Oct 25, 2015, 09:01 PM
Oleg Golovidov
That's exactly why a World Cup event is not likely to ever happen in the USA. FAI licences...

How about a separate event on Friday? or maybe an event within another event, where all FAI licensed pilots are scored in two events simultaneously? Not really great since there may be groups with few or none FAI licensed pilots.

Here is another idea. Include FAI stamp price into the entry fee.
Oct 25, 2015, 09:04 PM
We'd love to have a world cup event in China, the issue is since it must be submitted through the Chinese NAC, to meet their requirements/etc we need to spend an extra 60,000 - 120,000 CNY based on latest dialogue. We'd much rather spend that on beer.

----

Why is it hard or met with such resistance for US pilots to get a FAI license? High cost? Difficult registration?
Oct 25, 2015, 09:11 PM
Rick Rogahn
No benefit? Sorry about the snarky response, just have no idea what getting the FAI license will do for an RC pilot. I'm not jumping in a Yak and flying precision aerobatics .
Oct 25, 2015, 09:22 PM
The benefit is you can enter FAI event(s), such as World Cups. If there is no FAI World Cup event in the US because pilots are not willing to meet the requirement (license) to enter, then it doesn't make sense to complain about that there is no World Cup in the US.

In 2015, 3 of the 15 events held quite far from the Euro hot-spot: Brazil, Israel, and Russia (Altay, which is right between Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and China).

In 2014 3 of the 12 events are held far from the Euro hot-spot: Brazil, South Africa, Russia (Altay).

I really do wish we can host one in China but the $$ investment required to satisfy our NAC requirements is hard for us to cover. Hopefully another APAC country will be able to take the lead on this in the coming years, or that we are able to waive some of the requirements from our NAC.

Just my 0.02 CNY
Oct 25, 2015, 09:32 PM
Rick,

You need to grind your teeth. Last year I made a similar comment and got nothing but snarls.

Of course it's Euro centric. As is the FAI rules process.

What the US needs to do is have two contests, help Canada have one or two, perhaps Mexico?

That would satisfy the requirements, if read the rules correctly.

Or perhaps lobby for changes that would count only WCup contest results that are more than 1500 KM apart.
Oct 25, 2015, 09:37 PM
Rick Rogahn
, I was just noting that the majority of the comps were in Europe (13/15 or 87%, yes the comp in Russia was a long ways away, but so is New York or Kentucky from Seattle), I'm not complaining that there aren't any in the US. We have some great events and contest series' here already.
Oct 25, 2015, 09:39 PM
Hi Gary,

That's what I am confused about. There are several US contests that *easily* satisfies the FAI requirements *if* the pilots get licenses. 2 in the US alone will effectively put nearly 1/3rd of WCup events outside of the Euro hotspot (assuming the same schedule as this year).

Thomas
Oct 25, 2015, 10:02 PM
M Seid
Anyone know what the 2016 stamp costs?

Quick Reply