VTOL Aircraft. - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 25, 2015, 12:42 AM
Help!

VTOL Aircraft.

Ok, since multirotors cant cover enough distance with their hover flight, a plane would be better, but a plane needs a runway so combine the two and you get a VTOL aircraft. the VTOL needs to carry 10 pounds of cargo and carry it for at least 8 miles. Can I have a recommendation for parts?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2015, 12:48 AM
Closed Account
What are you trying to acopmpish!
Sorry if I'm going to hard, but you have asked this same question like 5 times.
Last edited by Thatgearheadgirl; Oct 25, 2015 at 12:59 AM.
Oct 25, 2015, 02:58 AM
You're on the wrong forum, there is a forum dedicated to VTOL aircraft, this is the scale electric forum.
Oct 25, 2015, 09:53 AM
Please link me.
Oct 25, 2015, 10:14 PM
RC VTOL aircraft are not quite that mature as a product category yet. What you are asking for is on the edge of what is possible with current technology.

If you are asking for parts recommendations, then it probably means you don't know enough to ask the right questions yet.

If you are seriously into climbing the learning curve, then there are folks here willing to help, but if you are more interested in completing the mission rather than in learning about VTOL design and construction then we are not unpaid consultants.

So what are you trying to accomplish?
Oct 26, 2015, 12:41 AM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...19&postcount=1

"Hello everyone who is reading this.
My name is Talon and this is what I need to do. I need to build a quadcopter that can carry a 9 pound load (4.08kg) but have double the lifting power. Example 9 pounds + weight of quad times 2. The quadcopter must have a battery life long enough for the quad to go 4 miles (6.43km) take a break. Then return the 4 miles.
These are the parts I think will get the job done.

4 Turnigy G60 500kv brushless motor
4 HobbyKing SS Series 90-100A ESC
2 Turigy Nanotech 5000mAh 6S 45~90C Lipo Packs
4 16 x 10 Propellers

Please make any changes you wish to this list or even scrap it and write me a new one. I need all the help I can get from people who know more than I do.

Thank you. "

This mission is the standard package delivery mission that a jillion start-up companies are focused on because Amazon and Google decided it was a good idea. The recommendation you received from zatorax looked like a closed solution to your problem:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...71&postcount=2

Your range/duration is modest but the payload weight is high. A multi rotor should be able to do it without much reserve energy margin. Multi-rotors are proven designs and cheap to build. You should build one and start testing it to see if the theory matches the experiment. You can probably get by with a thrust to weight ratio much less than 2:1. I've flown VTOLs with thrust/weight as low as 1.15:1 and prefer a minimum of 1.25:1

Steve
Oct 26, 2015, 12:50 AM
Closed Account
More like "Operation Talon."
Activated by the government you loved and trusted to investigate the feasibility of high performance VTOL aircraft in the hands of mere civilians.
lol Im joking by the way .
Last edited by Thatgearheadgirl; Oct 26, 2015 at 01:09 AM.
Oct 26, 2015, 10:07 AM
A very well designed package delivery VTOL with the performance you seek has already been designed built and tested by professionals working for one of the major players in this area. I won't get into details, but I understand the design is to be made public very shortly. I am talking about a large team of people working out issues that go far beyond the design of the aircraft itself. That is almost the easy part.

My point is that dreams of putting together a pile of parts from Hobbyking and out competing the professionals are misplaced.

I suggest you focus on having your own kind of fun, and if that involves setting yourself a mission, that is great, but don't expect to out design and build the professionals.
Oct 27, 2015, 12:42 AM
www.foxtechfpv.com
Delivery mission:
Technically, VTOL is more expensive than multirotors, and also is much harder to operate and control.
If multirotor can handle ur mission, that is the ideal choice.
As far as i know, D130 12S, to a extant, could cover ur mission.
more detail, pls click here

Foxtech Hobby
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/
Oct 27, 2015, 09:58 AM
No one ever takes this idea seriously, because it is not sexy enough, but there is a much simpler and cheaper way to meet the mission requirement by 2X.

You build a relatively conventional airplane and hand launch it, no runway required. There are also numerous ways to drop a conventional design into a small space without damage. They can drop vertically, the way free flight models have done to dethermalize for years, or they can flat spin down. With EPP foam and tape construction techniques the plane itself can be nearly indestructable.

You might think that 10 pounds of payload, and another 10 pounds of model might be too much to hand launch, and it would be a bit hard on the sholder for an overhand throw, but tip lauch gliders have taught us that there are better ways of getting the job done, and something like this does not need to be thrown that hard.

One motor, or possily 2, with folding props, one EPP flying wing, and the mission is complete, cheap and easy.
Oct 27, 2015, 02:54 PM
Shipborne drones are routinely launched with a catapult and caught in a net for landing.
Oct 27, 2015, 03:17 PM
Closed Account
The OP specifically stated vtol, but since you guys love fixed wings so much ...
http://www.fpvmodel.com/mjolnir-shar...tform_g45.html
Nov 03, 2015, 08:18 PM
Traxxas.... !!!CONFORM!!!
And no one else thinks this is suspicious? More like ten pounds of product. With no explanation required by members, the person keeps getting suggestions. And with no means for the author of these multiple threads being able to produce a creditable source, other members still give answers.

I don't recall any build threads by this person...... this person is looking for something to do a specific task, and not here to learn. You don't jump in the cockpit of a 747 after only playing with a foam glider!
Last edited by kcolraw; Nov 03, 2015 at 08:26 PM.
Nov 03, 2015, 09:11 PM
Closed Account
I'm still waiting for Talon Browns ''special machine"to appear on national headlines...
Nov 03, 2015, 09:19 PM
No joke, I once saw a story on a drug mule RC airplane that some traffickers threw together. It was large but crude. Couldn't help but chuckle at the batteries that were obviously from HobbyKing. They were Turnigy or Zippy. Just relaying the story and not suggesting that is TalonBrown's intentions

Quick Reply