Thread OP
Discussion

ZMR250 drifts badly when hovering

My equip:

ZMR250
1806 motors
20A eMax ESCs
3S battery
Full Naze32 (has barometer and magnetometer)
Cleanflight

When get to hover, it drifts (all different ways) rather than a stable hover. Trims are set OK as far as I know. Flying on high rates. Low seems too mushy.

I've seen YT videos where folks can get roughly the same setup to hover hands off.

I have a Spectrum DX5E so I only have 4 channels and one two way switch. I have one position on the switch set for disarm and the other set for arm and Horiz mode.

It seems as though the barometer and mag are not doing anything to stabilize.

I've run calibration on the accel and mag however I'm not convinced I'm doing the mag calibration right. It says to rotate on all axis. I've looked for YT videos to see how this was done but I found only a very few and nobody seems to do it the same. If someone knows of a definitive video on Naze/CF mag calibration, I'd appreciate it.

I've been flying a DM007 and I do OK with it.

Any ideas or pointers?
Last edited by logbuilder69; Oct 24, 2015 at 08:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2015, 04:52 AM
Sounds like you have a good setup although what size is your battery?

However if you just enable horizon. Then it will not use the barometer or magnetometer to help stabilise the quad.

Is the quad balanced across the middle?
Have you balanced the props?
Are your sticks properly centered? Do you get a reading of 1500 in the receiver tab on c.f.?
Oct 25, 2015, 01:08 PM
Safe distance from Seattle, WA
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2100
Sounds like you have a good setup although what size is your battery?

However if you just enable horizon. Then it will not use the barometer or magnetometer to help stabilise the quad.

Is the quad balanced across the middle?
Have you balanced the props?
Are your sticks properly centered? Do you get a reading of 1500 in the receiver tab on c.f.?
Battery is a 1350mAh mounted on the top above the CG.

In the modes tab of CF, for the on position of the switch I have, I checked Horizon, BARO and MAG. At the very top of the screen the Baro and Mag indicators are green so I assume that means the Naze sees them and so does CF. I just don't know how to tell if they are actually working during flight.

As far as balancing, I think I'm in good shape. I'm an old plane RC guy so CG is something I'm conscious of. However, I've not observed a lot of concern among the quad guys so I kind of figured the FC would compensate. But again, I think mine is fine.

On the props, I'm running Gemfan 5030s. I got out my old Dubro prop balancer and ran a few of the 5030s thru it and they were all find out of the box. Back in the days, we used to have to balance the wood props much more often than the plastic ones. I mostly used APC props and they never needed any changes.

In CF, the stick values are centered.

I've done nothing to the PID values.

Thanks for your consideration and help.
Oct 25, 2015, 04:28 PM
FPV Noob
You will need to PID tune it before worrying about stability modes.

After you get some decent PID tuning going then you will want to put it in angle mode and work on pids for level.

once level is tuned, then move on to altitude hold (baro)

I'm not entirely convinced magnetometers actually work on these with 4 magnetic fields surrounding the flight controller (motors)

let me know if you need help with the PID tuning. I can possibly give you a hand with that.
Oct 25, 2015, 05:14 PM
Safe distance from Seattle, WA
Thread OP
Thanks jigabop.

Let me do some reading about PID settings so I have a good fundamental understanding before I ask for your help.

I just got back from a flight and I can hold it in the hover but it takes constant attention.

It definitely flies different than my DM007. I think the most difference is that on the DM007, when I let go of forward/back/left/right, it pretty much stops in place where the ZMR keeps going and requires opposite input to stop.

Here is a question. Am I better to be learning in HORZ or ANGL mode?
Oct 26, 2015, 11:03 AM
FPV Noob
angle mode will be easier to learn to fly on.

difference is angle mode does not allow flips where horizon mode does allow flips.

in angle mode you can push the sticks all the way and the quad will not flip or go upside down.

quads will naturally drift a little bit unless they have gps on board for position hold.

Getting the quad tuned in will minimize the drift. Also making sure the frame is nice and square, motors are centered, all plays into it.

Quick Reply