Avro Vulcan in foam board from Model Aviation - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 18, 2016, 05:06 PM
Maiden flight was a success!
The 7x4 prop is a bit under powered for the motor.
I put my watt meter on it and it is only pulling 6.5 amps peak at 70 watts.
Going to try a 7x6 or a 7x8 prop.
It won't even do a loop from level flight right now.

sent from my Note 4
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2016, 07:15 PM
Borgador
Great looking Vulcan. Nice tape job. Don't think there are any surplus full scale ones for races, though. The motor I used looks a bit longer than yours. My tests in post 11 gave me 120 watts with a Master Airscrew 7X4 ( 3S battery, about 1400 kV, for 12000 rpm). If you go up in prop make sure you aren't overloading the motor. I've seen the full scale Vulcan do a roll, but I think any loops would be classified.

PCAffeldt
The link to the plans in post 1 is still good. Model Aviation lets you print them for free.

Joe
Last edited by DuPageJoe; Jun 18, 2016 at 07:32 PM.
Sep 10, 2016, 09:15 PM
MK
MK
Putting mine together and installing the electronics. Around what position are you guys locating the battery? (3S, 1300)
Sep 13, 2016, 06:54 PM
MK
The pictures in Post #15 show the battery attachment strip on the lower front fuselage.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=15

There is a lot of room up there for shifting the battery back and forth to make sure you hit the CG. I'm sure its on Larry Kruse' plans. CG is marked at 16 inches back of the nose. With my power and radio set up, the battery CG (about half way back on the battery) is 8 or 9 inches from the nose, for 1000 to 1500 mAh 3S batteries.
Last edited by DuPageJoe; Sep 13, 2016 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Add CG data
Sep 13, 2016, 07:25 PM
MK
MK
Thanks Joe! I saw those pics but didn't notice the Velcro for the battery. I didn't think it would be that far forward! I like forward as I was trying to figure out how I would get the battery in and out of the "intake" formed by the triangular piece.

I do know where the CG is as per the plan. If I had to locate the Velcro inside the intakes, I wanted to do that before I close the underside up with the triangular piece. Now I don't have to worry.

(Using similar motor (2830-8 1300KV), 30A ESC, Lemon Rx and Rhino 1350 3S 30C.)
May 19, 2017, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKruse
Thanks for the very informative and precise build thread. However, the most salient point is did the darn thing fly? If your final weight was under 14 oz., you should be pleased with the way it performs. I've had e-mails and videos sent to me with planes in excess of 20 oz. that required a larger battery than I specified, but still flew to the builder's satisfaction. I look forward to seeing a report of your rendition in the air.

Best regards,

Larry Kruse
Are the weights you mention just the airframe or ready to fly weight with battery?
May 24, 2017, 07:16 PM
Mike
My Vulcan weighs nearly 14 0unces without battery, and 17 or 18 ounces with the battery installed. See post 16.