Pro Boat/Horizon Hobby Stealthwake Deep Vee - RCGroups Review - RC Groups

Pro Boat/Horizon Hobby Stealthwake Deep Vee - RCGroups Review

Editor Matt Gunn tests out the entry-level priced Pro Boat Stealthwake in the choppy waters of Lake Erie.

Pro Boat Stealthwake Deep Vee - RCGroups Review

Affordable Offshore Action!

Product:Pro Boat Stealthwake
Current Pricing:$159.99
Length:23 in (584.2mm)
Beam:7.12 in (180.8mm)
Motor:550 size 15-Turn Brushed
Prop:1.6Î2.5" Plastic
Recommended Battery:6ľ7C (7.2ľ8.4V) NiMH or 2S (7.4V) LiPo
Included Battery:Dynamite« 7.2V 2400mAh NiMH
ESC:WP 60A FWD/REV Brushed ESC
Product Link:Pro Boat Stealthwake

In a world dominated by brushless motors and fiberglass hulls, it can be a daunting task to bring a brushed ABS hull to market without hobbyists crying for an upgrade... that is, of course, unless it's the Pro Boat Stealthwake. As a long time gas and electric boat racer and reviewer, I've driven plenty of budget-priced, overpowered brushless hulls with sketchy handling characteristics. They're good for a quick burst of straight-line speed, but quickly become unmanageable when a turn is initiated; introduce a little chop on the water and you can barely hold a straight line! The Stealthwake is the opposite of the aforementioned setup; its deep vee design and solid electronics package compliments its superb handling in even the roughest "offshore" chop.

In this review, I'll go over what's included, the fit and finish of the Stealthwake, and take her out for some low-level flying across the waves on Lake Erie. This hull is truly exciting in rough conditions, so tighten your life vests, we're in for a wild ride!

What's Included - Fit and Finish

The Pro Boat Stealthwake showed up packaged safe and secure in its box, with foam holding it tightly in place. The hull is made of ABS plastic, and is thick enough to provide exceptional rigidity to the hull, with no flimsy feeling to note. I really like the graphics setup on this model; the hull is all black with orange decals applied. The cockpit hatch has a windshield graphic with faux bolts to simulate a real offshore racer; this hull definitely looks the part! An ABS stand is included to cradle the Stealthwake when sitting in dry dock.

Hanging off the transom are a pair of aluminum turn fins and trim tabs, a plastic rudder standoff and breakaway plastic rudder, and a non-adjustable stinger drive. The turn fins are not breakaway and the trim tabs are fixed and not adjustable without bending them. Based on it's performance, I can honestly say that no adjustments are needed to any of the components; they're set just right from the factory.

Let's discuss that rudder: the standoff is 2" long and bolts to the transom with a pair of machine screws and lock nuts on the inside. The rudder is known as a breakaway design that will pivot back and sheer the breakaway pin if it strikes a hard object in the water. This is by design, and saves the transom in case of a hard hit.

The propeller is made of plastic and is 1.6"x2.5". It works well for this size hull and power combo, and has held up to a few accidental beachings as we piloted the Stealthwake very close to the sandy shore on Lake Erie. The prop shaft is solid steel and exits the hull via a brass stuffing tube with brass bushings on each end. The prop shaft attaches to the motor through a brass coupler with a pair of grub screws. There was plenty of marine grease inside the stuffing tube, but make sure to buy some extra grease to keep the shaft and bushings lubricated after every session.

Inside the hull, you'll see a brushed 15-turn 550-sized motor, a 60a esc, and a Spektrum steering servo. The motor is mounted securely to the plastic support structure that runs back to the transom and provides a secure mounting location for the esc, receiver, and steering servo as well. The plastic support structure is glued to the inside of the hull and shows no signs of pulling off. The esc is a 60a design that's switchable between LiPo and NiMH cutoff, and has a reverse lockout in case you want to race it in IMPBA or NAMBA sanctioned events. The steering servo is a waterproof Spektrum analog S603.

On the bottom of the hull is the water cooling pickup; it utilizes the boats forward momentum to force water through the cooling tubes, around the motor's watercooling coil, and out the side of the hull. Brushed motors generate quite a lot of heat compared to brushless motors, so cooling is essential; the cooling system works well and I could always see a steady stream of water exiting the left side of the hull.

A 7.2v NiMH or 7.4v LiPo will fit nicely in the battery cradle on the left side of the hull. It comes with a hook-and-loop strap and rubber base to prevent the battery from moving around inside. The Stealthwake comes with Dynamite EC3 connectors installed, but I changed it over to the XT60 connector only because I use that connector on all my batteries as personal preference.

The Pro Boat Stealthwake includes an ECX 2.4GHz transmitter and a Dynamite 7.2V 2400mAh NiMH battery and wall charger. The transmitter is a no-frills unit; it works well, has plenty of range, and features the standard steering and throttle dual-rate and trim knobs, as well as steering and throttle reverse switches. Pro Boat includes 4 AA batteries to help get you in the water faster.

Performance Report

Shortly after RCGroups editor Jason Cole posted a news story about the Stealthwake, people instinctively began questioning the brushed motor and wondered about upgrades. I can say with all honesty that the Stealthwake doesn't need any more power than what's on tap with the included 550 brushed motor; it's not designed for ballistic top-end speed, there's plenty of other low-profile hulls that excel at that. What the Stealthwake is designed for is blasting through choppy water with predictable handling and modest speed for those conditions. It holds its lines well, turns well, and even catches air and lands well. Allow me explain...

With the deep-vee design of the Stealthwake's hull the most obvious giveaway to it's offshore prowess, I decided to shoot the photo and video review at Lake Erie, where the waves would definitely put this boat to the test. With a charged 2s 5000mAh LiPo strapped in tightly, I had my friend Adam Schaeffer pilot the Stealthwake in the rolling surf of the bay at Edgewater Park in Cleveland Ohio. The winds were light out of the east, making for a nice little chop on the water. Right from first launch, I knew we had a winner on our hands; the Stealthwake blasted through the waves like a true offshore racer. At full throttle, it skipped across the water, jumping from one wave to the next, all the while holding it's line without much deviation. On some of the larger waves, the Stealthwake ramped up the face of them, blasting through the crest and launched cleanly into the air without flipping; it's a very well balanced hull and maintains composure well in the air. On two instances, we hit a rogue monster-wave that was just too much for the Stealthwake to maintain attitude in the air. In those situations, the front of the hull airs out and flips back. Only once did it land upside-down, requiring us to wait as the wind blew it quickly to shore.

Top speed is an estimated 18-20mph and run times are a respectable 10-12 minutes with mostly wide open running on a 2s 5000mAh 25c LiPo. The included 7.2v 2400mAh showed run times of around 10 minutes, with a slight reduction in top speed. After a session in the surf, there was maybe a tablespoon of water in the hull, which is common for any boat as water is forced up the stuffing tube and is nothing to be worried about.

Video

Pro Boat Stealthwake RTR Deep Vee - RCGroups.com Review Video (2 min 34 sec)

Action Photos

Conclusion

The Pro Boat Stealthwake excels in rough water conditions. It's a true deep vee hull that's at home cutting through choppy waters and catching air just like a real offshore race boat. In it's ready-to-run configuration, the Stealthwake includes a brushed motor and 60a esc, a 7.2v 2400 NiMH and wall charger, and a 2.4GHz transmitter; just what you need to hit the water quickly without dropping more money on upgrades. As an entry into boating or a great play boat for the seasoned boater, I would highly recommend the Pro Boat Stealthwake.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Nov 03, 2015 at 04:04 PM..
Oct 27, 2015, 04:28 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
First RTR boat I've taken a second look at. Wish it came receiver ready. I need another transmitter like I need a hole in my head..
Oct 27, 2015, 04:30 PM
The crazy Swede.....
i would like it to be at least 850mm long
Oct 27, 2015, 07:25 PM
The pictures and video are way too cool. That little boat seems like the perfect boat to bash around with and have fun with vs the faster high end boats which can be a total pain if you happen to flip. I think horizon has a winner on their hands with this one
Oct 27, 2015, 11:02 PM
big ignore list
Cool little boat
Oct 28, 2015, 04:49 AM
question :
in the "performance report" : ...."with a charged 2s 5000mah lipo"....
a little further : one can read a 3s 5000 mah lipo....12min run time is this correct?

what was used? 2s or 3s lipo?
Oct 28, 2015, 08:21 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by restart
question :
in the "performance report" : ...."with a charged 2s 5000mah lipo"....
a little further : one can read a 3s 5000 mah lipo....12min run time is this correct?

what was used? 2s or 3s lipo?
Yikes! Thanks for catching my typo. It was a 2s used the entire time. Fixed!
Oct 28, 2015, 11:49 PM
AA6JB
Great job with the media on this one Matt!
Latest blog entry: 2017 Reno Air Races
Nov 09, 2015, 12:49 PM
Question.

Did you get a lot of water in the hull after running it in those conditions? Looks like this boat will be a lot of fun on the beach
Nov 09, 2015, 12:53 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT
Question.

Did you get a lot of water in the hull after running it in those conditions? Looks like this boat will be a lot of fun on the beach
Not at all, just about a table-spoon full coming up the stuffing tube. The hatch is fully sealed with a foam gasket.
Nov 09, 2015, 12:58 PM
I saw this boat at the lhs and it looks so good in person. The pictures you took were amazing but some how in person it looks even better. I'm highly considering this one to fill the "just for fun" category
Nov 09, 2015, 05:01 PM
I am really intrigued by this boat, I started off in this hobby after a 20 year break with a kyosho twinstorm it was totally unreliable but was fantastic fun jumping the chop at 20mph all winter long at my local lake. Over the years I've got into the rut of building super fast 6/12s SAW machines and somehow lost the "fun" element of the hobby.

I think this will be tons of fun and hope it's as good as it looks in the vid!
Nov 09, 2015, 05:02 PM
Product Developer-Pro Boat
Great review Matt, thank you. I wasn't the developer on this project but it sure was fun testing it. It really shines in rough water.
Nov 09, 2015, 05:08 PM
Just need to find someone in the UK who sells them!
Nov 09, 2015, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwarner
Just need to find someone in the UK who sells them!
Does this work for you?

http://www.hurricanemodels.co.uk/eng...-V+Brushed+RTR