Very early (1976) RC Hovercraft Model - RC Groups
Oct 20, 2015, 11:43 PM
Discussion

Very early (1976) RC Hovercraft Model

Back in the mid-70's, I ran a company that produced a line of hovercraft models. The top of the line was our XR-1 Cyclone Hovercraft. It had a thrust bucket that provide braking/reverse thrust. Here is the video:

Historic Hovercraft #3: First R/C Hovercraft Kit (3 min 21 sec)

Enjoy!

Capt'n Pauley
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2016, 10:35 PM
I have a different version of this,3 rudders and no thrust reverser. I have the dry rotting remains for patterns. Just dont have a pattern for the skirt. Anyone out there have the original?
Thanks.....
Aug 21, 2016, 08:02 AM
That's actually pretty cool! What size engine did it use?
Aug 21, 2016, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetset
That's actually pretty cool! What size engine did it use?
I used a Veco19,with no muffler and a throttle with exhaust baffle. Im sure this contributed to the deterioration when it sat for 40 years.

This is my next project to restore, will use a brushless motor but I will not change anything else. Will keep the aftermarket thrust baffle,since it worked well.

The original designer contacted me and is going to assist me in finding some plans for the skirt and thought the exhaust baffle was a pretty good idea for a bunch of kids back in the seventies to come up with for that model.

His larger model has it stock. We didn't know it existed.
Sep 11, 2016, 04:31 PM
I am in the painstaking process of taking apart my 1970s hovercraft which is crumbling every time I touch it. Trying to make wood patterns from the remains, which are fuel soaked. As a kid back then,we didnt think of fuel proofing. .....just wanted to run it.

The deck will be one piece, the original was 2 probably for ease of shipping. I may have to do some mods to get it to run on electric,but want to keep it as original as possible .

Will post pics when I get around to it
Sep 11, 2016, 05:02 PM
Intermediate Multi
Any idea what's happening at the back end? He talks about the "thrust bucket", but he never shows us what it looks like. It must be a closely guarded secret.
Sep 11, 2016, 05:10 PM
I am hoping he will give me some information when I get the skirt plans from him.

I imagine it's a lot like the way the jet ski works.
Sep 12, 2016, 11:02 PM

old file photo

I think this might explain...
Sep 13, 2016, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardhover42
I think this might explain...
I guess I was pretty close .......that's what the reverser looks like on a jet ski except this one designed to move air.

Do you have any more pictures?. And is this their larger model,or another design?
Sep 13, 2016, 08:39 AM
Here is my project....bought and built in 1976,ran the next year or so,then sat in a hot Florida garage for 4 decades. I will try to use some of the hardware,just because..........

I have to remake the kit,mod it a little for electric. I tried to take apart the skirt,it just falls apart. Capt. Pauley is providing templates and going through a lot of trouble for me to get them.

If anyone has suggestions, post them here. I know I need a 3-4 blade prop to move more air.......maybe some ducting?
Sep 27, 2016, 07:51 PM

Hovercraft

I have this kit new in the box . Just started putting it together. I have all the patterns instructions etc. Let me know if you need something
Oct 06, 2016, 05:25 PM
No secrets, just got to ask!
Oct 07, 2016, 12:23 AM
We tried an electric version back in the day. Didn't work very well because electric power hadn't developed sufficiently. Today. I would only go with electric!
Oct 21, 2016, 01:04 PM
Here is a diagram of what the thrust bucket looks like. Depending on the rudder configuration, you may have to trim the bottoms of the rudder. That being said, you will not get the control authority in reverse as you would in forward. That is because the thrust bucket limits the direction of the air flow over the rudders.
Aug 04, 2017, 10:14 PM
OK....I finished a few quad projects,so this was next.....

Funny thing,me and my friend Rob put the original together in the summer of 1977.....exactly 40yrs ago Once I realized this,I have to make the electric version and run it before winter moves in.....it can get rough in Florida.....

For this build,Coroplast was the best option to keep it light. After making a few parts, the weight is less than half. This will make a big difference in run time,and the size motor it will need to propel it.