This thread is privately moderated by edge_pilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 19, 2015, 06:07 PM
From a Different Planet!
Thread OP
Cool

Giving a great airplane a facelift!

Had the chance recently to get another Hangar 9 Beast 100cc so I jumped at the chance. After I got it home and was staring at it thinking that it's such a great flying airframe but everyone has one like it. As I kept looking my EFlite Viking came into view, it was clear where I was headed.

Spent time finding all the graphics and artwork to make all the decals and graphics from. The Viking heads and radial engine are decals I made, the rest is vinyl graphics.

Disassembled the whole airframe and started to remove the covering. Anybody going to attempt this here is the easiest way. Cut the covering at a spot in the airframe that is open, this is where you will start. Heat the covering with a heatgun while you pull the covering to remove. Work slow and steady working out from where you started. Some residue will remain behind but usually very little. I used Gorilla Duct tape to remove the residue. Drag the tape over the residue and it sticks to the tape and comes right off.

While the airframe was in bare bones I went through the entire thing and fixed anything I thought needed it and reinforced any joints that were loose. Once this was done I jumped right in with Ultracote and started cutting and applying. All the painting was done with GlassKote epoxy paints.

Now the airplane is a Viking and sporting a DA100L with canisters. Falcon CF prop and Pete Model CF (painted) spinner. Spektrum guidance with Hitec and Futaba brushless digital servos. Can't wait to get it in the air!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2015, 09:05 PM
Gorgeous!
Oct 22, 2015, 11:50 AM
Grate job edge_pilot !

Make sure to get us a vid.
Jan 10, 2016, 07:39 AM
Beautiful!

How did you do the graphics?
Jan 10, 2016, 08:28 AM
From a Different Planet!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigdave View Post
Beautiful!

How did you do the graphics?
Most of the graphics are cut on my vinyl cutter. The Viking heads I printed out on self stick decal paper and the have a clear laminate over top of them. Making all the graphics is another story. A lot of time in front of a computer with Corel Draw and other similar programs.
Jan 10, 2016, 07:42 PM
Bugle6
Man, you did a great job on this! I improved on my Wing struts for this E-flite Pitts M12.

Name: IMG_2626.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 640.4 KB
Description:
Jan 10, 2016, 07:52 PM
The time was worth it. It looks great!
Jan 10, 2016, 07:57 PM
Fly safe, fly often!
Quote:
Giving a great airplane a facelift!

Awesomeness!

Mar 22, 2016, 06:45 PM
Mike Mc
Very nice suit it's got on.
Apr 04, 2016, 08:58 AM
Fly Every Day
Fantastic job!! Looks incredible but too much work! I would love to see it in real life.
Oct 21, 2016, 05:54 PM
Great job!

I'm sure you've seen, Horizon will be shipping the Model 12 Viking 120cc shortly!!!

Jay.
Oct 21, 2016, 07:59 PM
From a Different Planet!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrat View Post
Great job!

I'm sure you've seen, Horizon will be shipping the Model 12 Viking 120cc shortly!!!

Jay.
I sure did. I find it kinda flattering. LOL Atleast I had it all to myself for a year before everybody and there brother will have one.
Oct 21, 2016, 11:22 PM
Yours will always be a bit unique. And definitely one of a kind.

Again, great job, she looks amazing.

Jay.
Oct 22, 2016, 05:14 AM
From a Different Planet!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrat View Post
Yours will always be a bit unique. And definitely one of a kind.

Again, great job, she looks amazing.

Jay.
Thanks man!
Oct 26, 2016, 08:16 AM
Bugle6
I like your size Viking more than the 100cc!

Quick Reply