Official Drone Registration Discussion Thread **Discussion Here** - RC Groups
Oct 19, 2015, 01:11 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Discussion

Official Drone Registration Discussion Thread **Discussion Here**

So the DOT, FAA, and AMA just announced this proposed regulation for UAV operators commercial and hobbyist. What are your thoughts so far. I can say they have A LOT of work to do
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2015, 01:17 PM
J'ai remis la purée

Official Drone Registration Discussion Thread **Discussion Here**

And it is only registration, no transponders, no geofencing etc. just registration for traceability IF a UAV is found after a violation or incident.
I must say that there where a couple of good questions but the answers all fall back to 'it is suppose....' and a register to trace the user.
I can't say what I find of it, as non USA citizen but it seems that a lot is left in the open or yet to decided..
Oct 19, 2015, 01:20 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebarteam
And it is only registration, no transponders, no geofencing etc. just registration for traceability IF a UAV is found after a violation or incident.
I must say that there where a couple of good questions but the answers all fall back to.. Suppose and registration.
I can't say what I find of it, as non USA citizen but it seems that a lot is left in the open or yet to decided..
Agree. Also they said there is a threshold of what will be required to be registered. I'm sure there will be a size and weight limit. Also this registration proposal is about tracing the drone back to the operator. What if the owner never registered their drone? How would it help the DOT or FAA to impose fines? How will they trace drone owners who haven't registered their drone? Anybody who has malicious intent with their drone will not register it.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:32 PM
That's the problem. Do you think some terrorist is going to register his drone?
Oct 19, 2015, 01:39 PM
The Ground is the Limit
Registration just means you legally signed up to accept the penalities that are going to be proposed and pay the fees to support the task force that will be thinking of ways to also catch the bad guys.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:45 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom604
Registration just means you legally signed up to accept the penalities that are going to be proposed and pay the fees to support the task force that will be thinking of ways to also catch the bad guys.
Yes we know. The question is what's the incentive for a current owner or somebody with malicious intent to register? The only way I see to accomplish new owners to register their drones is at the time of purchase. That means they would have to get manufactures, hobby shops, and distributors to get onboard and require customers to register before they allow you to receive your new drone.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:46 PM
If this is supposed to be the end-all discussion thread for this, you should include some links in the OP. I literally cannot find anything on Google.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:47 PM
2is
2is
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheerider
Agree. Also they said there is a threshold of what will be required to be registered. I'm sure there will be a size and weight limit. Also this registration proposal is about tracing the drone back to the operator. What if the owner never registered their drone? How would it help the DOT or FAA to impose fines? How will they trace drone owners who haven't registered their drone? Anybody who has malicious intent with their drone will not register it.
There were no details given at all. It was just basically confirmation that "yes, registration is coming" and not a whole lot more than that. In fact, they seem to go out of their way to avoid giving an y sort of detail. Could be a couple reasons for that, 1) they know we won't like it or 2) they still have no idea how they're actually going to implement this. Or perhaps even both 1 and 2.

They say their intent is to have registration be retro active to existing drone owners, it'll be very interesting to see how they enforce that. New purchases is one thing, but a retro active registration is a big can of worms and I imagine, quite difficult to impose. Especially considering their timeframe of getting all this finalized (mid December)
Oct 19, 2015, 01:48 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebarteam
I must say that there where a couple of good questions but the answers all fall back to 'it is suppose....' and a register to trace the user.

Just the first step down a slippery slope.

The whole thing is a knee jerk reaction. There are already state and local laws that cover interfering with public safety/first responders, peeping, reckless endangerment, and every other idiotic thing one can do with an RC aircraft.

This new "registration" scheam is nothing more than an end run around section 336 of PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012, which states,

" the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration
may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model
aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational
use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds
unless otherwise certified through a design, construction,
inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered
by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not
interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of
an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic
control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)). "

What the FAA can't do, DOT can, and unless we as a community pitch a fit, they no doubt will...
Oct 19, 2015, 01:50 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene
That's the problem. Do you think some terrorist is going to register his drone?
Also they still didn't state what a "drone" is!!! That should've been the first announcement when the press conference started. They said there would be a "threshold", but what is the threshold? How can they figure all this out before Christmas? I think maybe this is a scare tactic to prevent people from buying drones this holiday season. Last year during the holidays they saw the largest sales of drones in the history of consumer drones.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:51 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2is
There were no details given at all. It was just basically confirmation that "yes, registration is coming" and not a whole lot more than that. In fact, they seem to go out of their way to avoid giving an y sort of detail. Could be a couple reasons for that, 1) they know we won't like it or 2) they still have no idea how they're actually going to implement this. Or perhaps even both 1 and 2
One thing that I see is a huge constitutional law suit in that requiring recreational multirotor aircraft registration is discriminatory unless ALL recreational model aircraft must be registered...
Oct 19, 2015, 01:51 PM
The secretary could not answer the most important question asked of him (though it was not the most important question that could be formed on this subject); how do you connect the dots between registration data, a NAS incident, and the operator?

Here is a quick and dirty scenario:

There is a near miss between a manned airliner and a UAS.
The pilot of the airliner provides the report to include a description, location, etc, to the FAA.
The FAA searches it's registration database for.... What?

The UAS was not recovered. It was described as a "drone", "white", with "four rotors" by the pilot. Run that, get the phone book.

Next we can consider how they proceed if it was a scratch built copter with off the shelf parts. There is no serial number; it's all components.

Local "enforcement" or on the spot inspection will have to be done by local police - how do they access a database to ensure the guy they're checking on has actually registered?

Do we assign numbers like N numbers, and how are they ensured that I don't just put a fake one on my craft?

So, so, so many questions here that they are going to have to answer. Ultimately, it seems to me, that they're going to end up with a bunch of data on guys that care a lot about the rules, and nothing on the guys who are being stupid.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:52 PM
This is all B.S. They won't stop people from doing bad things with "drones" what about people that buy their parts online and build "drones" themselves? How will you register them? Go down to the DMV and pay outrageous prices just to register it? Do what the gun community does and focus on education. every gun bought in the U.S comes with a pamphlet educating the buyer how to handle the firearm safely. Do that with RTF "drones" have manufactures print a piece of paper with the laws and safe flying procedures and tips.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:58 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Another thing that caught my ear was that the DOT Director kept saying "rules" rather than "laws". So it will be a "rule" to register your drone. We have seen how good "rules" are when supposedly everyday there are drone sightings by commercial pilots. Rules are pointless and it appears that all these "rules" are impossible to make into federal law.
Oct 19, 2015, 02:00 PM
FA3PR9WM79
OK, I listened to the conference call.

As far as Model Aviation is concerned, NOTHING HAS CHANGED...

The Man Speaks - FAA / DOT Press Conference Call - New Drone Rules (22 min 24 sec)