Department of Transportation Drone Registration

This weekend everyone was talking about an upcoming announcement from the DOT about registering drones...

Splash

Registration for Drones?

This weekend everyone was talking about an upcoming announcement from the DOT about registering drones. No real details were given except that there would be an official announcement today Monday Oct 19th and that they want the system to be in place by this holiday season. RCGroups listened in on today's live stream to bring you the news.

There were many organizations in attendance including the AMA. The DOT says they are agile enough to integrate this registration system quickly. The registration would include hobbyists and would serve as a way to inform all users of the rules for safe operation in the national airspace. It would allow enforcement of the rules by identifying drone operators.

The DOT is setting up a task force that may include some drone manufacturers. The task force will work on answering the "how?" questions and will come up with the best way to implement the registration process. They are supposed to have that work completed by November 20th. The DOT is aiming for a mid December roll out and will be required for commercial and hobby operators. They also mentioned that this process will not impede the 333 exemption process. They intend to move quickly to roll this out and will expect retroactive registrations on current drone owners. They said there will be penalties for using non-registered drones in the national airspace, but did not mention what the penalties would be exactly. We will know more once the task force releases their recommendations next month.

Oct 19, 2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the update.

"They also mentioned that this process will not impede the 333 exemption process. "

I'm not sure I understood this phrase. Does this mean the 333 exemption will still be in place and that business operators will still need to get one? I hope they can clarify that more.

" The registration would include hobbyists and would serve as a way to inform all users of the rules for safe operation in the national airspace. "

This one too will need some further clarification. Seems like hobbyist will have to register theirs too, but more details are needed.

I hope this is a step in the right direction but so far lots of questions remain to be answered.
Oct 19, 2015, 12:49 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yeah 333's will be around until the FAA comes out with the "real" rules maybe next June. We should get more details on the registration process next month.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:13 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Hmmm..... I don't believe I will comply. But I'll wait until the final rules are out before I decide.

-J
Oct 19, 2015, 01:20 PM
sno
sno
What a joke. No one asked what it will cost. They cant answer how it will be enforced.
It starts around 9:50
US Department of Transportation Press Conference (0 min 0 sec)
Oct 19, 2015, 01:44 PM
I dont know if I trust these guys to regulate something like this. Most of them can barely operate a computer.
Last edited by mecevans; Oct 19, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:45 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
I read this on an MSN article (so interpret it your own way!):

"Toys and small drones that don't present a safety threat are likely to be exempt. Drones that weigh only a pound or two or that can't fly higher than a few hundred feet are considered less risky. Heavier ones and those that can fly thousands of feet pose more of a problem."

We wont know for certain if this statement is true until the "rules" are announced. But if they are, it would mean all the smaller stuff, including 250 sized quads are exempt from registration. I wonder how fixed-wing fpv will be roped in? I bet all of this is only aimed at DJI-type quads (my Inspire 1 for example) or the larger multirotor segment, which pretty much defines drone. You never hear much yapping from the public and news media about fixed wing FPV anymore; it's almost always multirotors.
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Oct 19, 2015, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
Yeah 333's will be around until the FAA comes out with the "real" rules maybe next June. We should get more details on the registration process next month.
Thanks for the update Jason.

We may have to wait, and see what happens in June then.
Oct 19, 2015, 02:14 PM
Live Free and Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn View Post
Drones that weigh only a pound or two or that can't fly higher than a few hundred feet ....
What drone, pray tell, can't fly higher than a few hundred feet?

This is an unenforceable CYA for industry and the feds.

Industry: "Well, we complied fully, it's not our fault one of our quads (fill in the blank)."

Feds: "Well, we did everything we could, including fines/penalties/etc. and (fill in the blank) still happened. So now we're just going to ban everything."
Oct 19, 2015, 02:24 PM
this is absolutly insane. this government cant get anything done but when they want to restrict your rights its streamlined. I will not be complying with this for a number of reasons.. A.) illegal aliens are not registered, my planes will not be registered either. B.)model rockets (missile's) do not need to be regulated or registered. (in my opinion firing one of those to 20,000 ft is more dangerous to live aircraft. so i wont be registering. C.) it is obviously a move by the government to create more control and insight into your personal lives. D.) R/C flying is the fastest growing industry of 2015 according to SME so again it shows they just want to "tax" you for it. Pretty soon you may have to register your shoes with dept of labor to get a job. (sarcasm intended) this pisses me off...
Complete noob at your mercy
registration leads to confiscation.

i'll never register anything with the feds.

...i can understand RTF's coming with per-registration of some kind... but how can they control flight controllers coming from china going into DIY multi-rotors.

this is unenforceable horsecrap
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Why are so many against registering their drone? It's like the gun argument, they have no right... Yes they do! Register, don't register but if you get caught and fined for flying an unregistered drone, don't cry foul, I would support (and expect) a fine...

Jack
Oct 19, 2015, 02:26 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOcto View Post
registration leads to confiscation.

i'll never register anything with the feds.

...i can understand RTF's coming with per-registration of some kind... but how can they control flight controllers coming from china going into DIY multi-rotors.

this is unenforceable horsecrap
Here we go. What have you ever owned that was registered and then confiscated? What has anyone you know ever registered and was later confiscated?

Jack
Oct 19, 2015, 02:26 PM
Candid Sky Productions
There are tons of holes in this whole announcement. For instance what about the guy who just built one in his garage? How do you track this? Or what about the guy who lives on a 100 acre ranch and flys on his private property with his "drones". And finally I want to see their definition of a "drone". Cause if they say my 40% extra is a drone when I put a gopro in it they can go pound sand. I hope all you immature kiddies who posted you tube videos flying up at 5000 ft agl are real happy because you caused the problems. And yes of course the media ran with it in all the negative stories. Sad day indeed for the remote control hobbyist........
Oct 19, 2015, 02:28 PM
Complete noob at your mercy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Why are so many against registering their drone? It's like the gun argument, they have no right... Yes they do! Register, don't register but if you get caught and fined for flying an unregistered drone, don't cry foul, I would support (and expect) a fine...

Jack
because the most dangerous place to be during a "crisis" is between a politician and a camera/microphone.

you go right ahead and register your hobby multirotor if you want... but when some idiot flys a phantom into the intake of a 747... and the feds come to the address you provided and take your drone because they are now "dangerous"...

you can ask yourself again why you shouldn't have registered.

screw the government, why give them any information subjecting yourself to loss of freedoms and taxation/fines/fees.

i'll continue flying my drone for free thanks.

Quick Reply