Oct 19, 2015, 03:10 AM
Thread OP
Help!

ZMR 250 w/ DYS BE1806-2300kv burning smell

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forms and have ran into a bit of an issue recently.

Some quick info:
My ZMR 250 build is using Afro mini 12amp ESC's with the already stated motors, the esc's are flashed with BlHeli. Today was my first flight with the new software and I am in love.

After flying pretty hard on several 3s lipo packs I noticed that when taking off I really had to give my quad the throttle for it get going, otherwise it would flip onto the ground. When I inspected the issue I noticed that on my 4th motor (with respect to FC configuration) there was a burning electrical smell, however it was a very cold day today and neither the ESC or the motor felt hot to the touch.

I then ran into another intermittent issue. Sometimes when I would give it throttle after a crash the fourth motor would would spin up and stay at a low throttle level for 10 seconds before shutting off. All the other motors acted completely fine. Any throttle input would result in the same thing. The only way to fix it was to power cycle everything.

I should mention that earlier in the day I broke the arm that motor was on, so I'm not sure if maybe the crash could have damaged it?

Any input or ideas about what the issue could be would be very welcomed!
Last edited by Glitch5618; Oct 19, 2015 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Couldn't upload video file
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2015, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the forum

A better place for this thread might be the Multi Rotors sub-forum, further down the main page.

The fact you broke the arm the problem motor (and ESC?) is on is more than likely to be the root cause of the problem. One of the connections between motor and ESC could have been damaged, which would burn out the motor if you continued to run it like that. Then that might have also damaged the ESC.

Can you see if the windings in the motor are still shiny copper colour, or have they turned black?
Oct 20, 2015, 05:09 AM
Thread OP
Thank you for the reply abenn, sorry for posting in the wrong section, I didn't realize there was a more appropriate one. I did check and the windings look fine, no sign of any discolor.
Oct 20, 2015, 06:24 AM
OK, so I'd still be looking at all the connections, including soldered joints, between the motor and the ESC. Another possibility, of course, is that ESC is damaged and the burning smell was from it. Examine it closely to see if you can see any sign of scorching on its heatshrink covering. An ESC can run even if one of its FETs is damaged, but it might cause the problems that you're experiencing, and it should be replaced because it won't get any better.

Quick Reply