Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 27, 2016, 06:53 PM
RC 4 Life
The tail wheel is bonded the same way but using a much smaller wire.
If you want to avoid digging for hardware to hold the wheel in place try this.

Use the gear wire to Punch a hole in card stock then use a hole punch to make it a washer. Slide it onto the axle followed with a drop of epoxy.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2017, 06:49 AM
RC 4 Life

Paint

I use Tamiya brand paint. It has so many up sides to it.
Up sides:
Foam compatible, Heavy pigment, low odor, dries fast and it's easy to get a gloss finish.
Down side;
cost, this little can runs about $5 but can cover an entire plane this size.
Mar 31, 2017, 06:52 AM
RC 4 Life
What I'm using here is paper mail labels to mask with. the adhesive is strong enough to keep it in place but weak enough to not damage the foam when removed. You can get this stuff at office depot. If the adhesive is too strong you can weaken it by removing lint from your pants. d
The blue field was painted with light coats.
Mar 31, 2017, 06:53 AM
RC 4 Life
Another trick about masking is to apply light coats allowing it to dry in-between. This keeps the paint from wicking under the mask.
Mar 31, 2017, 06:55 AM
RC 4 Life
All that is left is to give the rest of the model the paint coat.
Apr 04, 2017, 07:40 PM
Watt Waster
I've used heat from a heat gun, iron, and such things to weaken, or warm the adhesive on all sorts of tapes, labels, and other things I've used in this hobby and for other purposes to remove them. I cannot remember a time when a permanent, or temporary thing with sticky on one side couldn't be removed with a moderate amount of heat applied. Heat also helps get the sticky to fix, or adhere better too if you can apply a little pressure until the glue cools.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Apr 05, 2017, 01:13 PM
RC 4 Life
He is right .
heat does reduce the adhesive in masking tape.
I use a hair blow dryer.
My wife goes thru them and I get the used ones that still blow.
Oct 18, 2017, 11:19 AM

Cartoon Planes

Any chance for an AD-4 Skyraider or Sea Fury
Oct 19, 2017, 04:47 PM
RC 4 Life
the sales on these cartoon planes has dropped considerably due to the 3mm foam being hard to find.
I plan to be posting a thread and video on how you can make your own from Home depot foam soon.
so we will see if it works.
Oct 21, 2017, 02:20 PM
Mr Sparks good to know someones on the mark sorting problems out
Oct 23, 2017, 03:55 PM

Cartoon Planes

I just got my P-51B the other day and I am going to try Dollar tree foam board laminated with a very thin sheet of styrene plastic, especially on the fuselage sides to give it a nice smooth and equal finish.
Oct 24, 2017, 03:15 PM
Watt Waster
I have had good success using the poster boards with the foam cores like the Dollar Tree store sells and Walmart that now carried the ROSS brand of the same size, but it comes in various thickness on the foam. One catch is the ROSS brand has paper that is much harder to remove than the "Adams" sold by the Dollar Tree store. There is still the option to leave the paper on if the extra weight isn't an issue, but for small park flyers it normally is an issue. I made a few more videos about this sort of thing in my hand glider series posted in Youtube. At the moment I have been focused on the Bugatti P100 and the Me 163 and included a few comments about various construction details. I don't see how the 4 mm and 5 mm foams would be a problem for the cartoon flyers that are often called small park flyers, especially if you have seen how they can be cold rolled into tubes and other curved shapes. I have some old videos on that process also in my Youtube channel. Not much to it and I have shown how to cold roll very thin, stiff foam that is often made for foam dinner plates and take out boxes. You do have to go a bit slower and not press as hard as you roll the thin foam, but it is easy enough to do. Normally those Depron like foams are thinner than 3 mm.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Dec 18, 2017, 06:50 PM
RC 4 Life
I know thin foam is getting hard to find.
So, Make it yourself.

00069 (6 min 33 sec)
Apr 16, 2018, 10:42 AM

flying weight

hi everybody,
how much do you cartoon planes weigh completely finished, with motor, radios, paint, etc? Particularly Turbo Thrush.
Thanks!

Quick Reply