Jan 03, 2016, 07:59 PM
RC 4 Life
Be sure you have the centerline drawn on the wing and the back of the F-2 former.
This will keep you from second guessing your alignment.

Bond the fuselage to the wing.
By now you know the polyurethane glue foams then hardens.
For this step you must check the bond every 5 minutes or so to check for "foam blow outs"
If the foam appears at the joint rub it down with a Q-tip or something round and soft before it hardens.
Here a foam strip cut to a point is used.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2016, 08:31 PM
When cows fly!
Love the Hell Cat!
Jan 17, 2016, 07:52 PM
RC 4 Life
Push the elevator and rudder servos in their holes and install the control locks.
Note the forward servos share a wire exit hole.

Cut a single slit in the fuselage sides where the push rods will come out, the location is on the side sheeting pattern.

Make “Z” bends in your push pull control rods then push them thru the slits in the side sheeting and thru the holes in the fuselage formers.
(on the patterns too)
Bond 6 mm strips under the forward end of the servos to put them at the proper angle and use epoxy to fasten the servos to the structure.
Jan 17, 2016, 07:53 PM
RC 4 Life
Odds are your push rods may have a bit of a bow in them.
Does not matter how careful I am mine always do.
We are looking for the shortest point between point A &B for smooth operation.
My fix is to heat the wire and let it find its way.

Warning : this method is risky, the wire can warp due to expansion.
At the aft end the slit in the foam holds the wire in position, on the other end the servo holds it.
By heating the wire between them the wire cuts the shortest path. Crazy right.

I clamp one wire forward of the aft “hold point” and touch the other end aft of the forward “hold point.

The wire heats up and moves and even makes a slightly larger hole in the foam.
IMMPORTANT: 12 volts is applied by tapping the wire against the wire.

AGAIN: Tap, Tap, Tap and wait to see the wire move. Never clamp it in place
Jan 17, 2016, 07:54 PM
RC 4 Life
Now that the rods are straight we are stuck with loose holes.
Coffee mixing sticks to the rescue.
Sand them, cut them, slide them in place in the formers and add a drop of glue.
Jan 17, 2016, 08:17 PM
When cows fly!
You have been busy! Keep up the great work. I appreciate the detail!
Jan 24, 2016, 04:32 PM
RC 4 Life

Stab angle

Place the wing on two blocks of equal size. Slide a 6 mm strip under the trailing edge block and a weight on the fuselage to hold it all in place.
Jan 24, 2016, 04:34 PM
RC 4 Life
Measure the top of the fuselage side sheeting at the aft end.
Draw a line parallel to the table top at this level to the former.
cut the line.
Jan 24, 2016, 04:35 PM
RC 4 Life

Horizontal Stab installation

Test fit the stabilizer to the fuselage to be sure it will bond in place parallel to the work surface and centered. Apply glue to the top of the fuselage sides.
Note the marks made on the top edge.
This is because the aft edge should not have glue applied, it could foul the elevator crossover wire.
Install the stabilizer and add a small weight.
Jan 24, 2016, 06:42 PM
When cows fly!
As usual the work is awesome!
Jan 28, 2016, 10:01 PM

Blue Bullet Finished

Finally finished and flown the Blue Bullet! Came out a little tail heavy, Probably because I got ahead of Sparks and mounted the tail servos farther back(behind the wing instead of in it) Went with a bigger motor since my P40 barely flew. Still dialing it in(COG)... but flies good so far.

1st 2 flights, 2nd starts at 1:55

Park Flyer Plastics Cartoon Hellcat Maiden (6 min 6 sec)
Jan 31, 2016, 02:04 PM
RC 4 Life
Looked like a good test flight, I was wondering about the wind though.
Now that it is trimmed you can set up your dual rates so you can flip from fast flight to stunt flights.
Adding the canopy will only clean it up and help with the performance.
Feb 06, 2016, 07:04 PM
RC 4 Life
Remove the tape that is holding the fuselage sides and bond the fin and rudder in place 90 degrees to the stabilizer surface and centered on the fuselage.

Clamp the fuselage sides together to trap the bottom fin hinge material and use a pin at the former .
This helps hold the fin centered.
A strip of tape will hold it there while the glue dries.
Feb 06, 2016, 07:05 PM
RC 4 Life

First plastic

Trimming the plastic.
Lets pause and see how the plastic parts are trimmed and bonded to the foam frame.
Many of the plastic parts have trim lines molded into the piece.
Use these lines as a guide only, this is to say don't trust them completely.
I have tested the lines on more than one airframe and they are correct but when you add the possibility of human error during assembly it is possible for them to be off a bit.

So, cut outside the molded line a bit then test fit the plastic to the model.
Using a pencil on its side will give you a good reference line for trimming the base off the part.
Working with the edge of the table will give you a solid surface to work with .
Feb 06, 2016, 07:07 PM
RC 4 Life

Bonding.

There are two ways to bond the plastic to the model.
Originally I was working with gorilla glue and it went like this :

A very small amount of polyurethane glue is needed to attach the sides of the plastic to the fuselage sides. This bead should be right on the edge of the fuselage foam sheeting to avoid the glue reaching the outside edge of the plastic. A heavy bead of glue is alright for the former to plastic bond. any glue foaming here will only close any miss match gaps.
Place the plastic on the fuselage being careful to not smear the glue on the sides. ( spreading the plastic a bit helps.) Apply narrow strips of plastic tape to the side seams to hold the plastic against the foam sheeting. Running your fingernail along the edge will improve the tape to foam contact and better seal the plastic edge. Place the fuselage with the plastic down to allow any excess glue to travel toward the plastic. (not toward the tape and foam) Remove the tape when the glue cures completely; about 2 hours.

Narrow plastic tape strips: Shipping tape used to close cardboard boxes did the best job at holding the plastic parts down. The plastic tape has a smooth surface and makes the best seal between the two forcing the glue inward when it foams so don't use masking tape.

Quick Reply