Oct 18, 2015, 08:11 PM
RC 4 Life
Build Log

Cartoon Hell Cat

You guys asked for it, a Hell Cat Cartoon plane.
At first my main concern was the radial engine.
These cartoon planes have enough drag already and to put a flat nose on one is only asking for trouble.
Turns out this one flyís as good as the rest, just donít expect it to glide.

The prototype did great and the version with landing gear did just as well. Honestly this was sort of expected because the wing and tail feathers was "stolen" from the Cartoon turbo thrush and it may be the best flying of the group. .
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2015, 08:12 PM
RC 4 Life

Equipment

I have short kits available on the website now.
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...ex&cPath=24_62
What you will get is the Plans and plastic parts listed on the site.
The plans would better be described as a pattern page since you don't actually build it over printed paper. The plastic parts are what makes this model go together so fast, there is no foam forming required.
One sheet of 3mm foam and less than 1/8 sheet of 6mm
Gorilla glue ( polyurethane glue)
I know a bunch of you scorn Hobby King but the total cost of the complete electronics set for this Cartoon Plane was $35 plus shipping.
The motor I used is what is on all the cartoon planes is a 1800 KVA out runner ( $6.32 )
Basically any small motor that can flip a 7 to 8 inch prop will work fine.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=5430
Three cell 800 to 850 mah battery http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._3S1P_20C.html

Electronic speed control (ESC) is an 18 to 20 amp but all that is required is 10 amps.
I tend to over kill on this component just a bit as a cushion and at $6.77 why not?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6457

Servos, A 3 gram servo or equivalent is all you need to move the tail feathers. I think we called them blue birds at one time. the one I use is $3.49 each.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...?idProduct=663

Propellers . . . 5 for $2.24 what can I say ; and they are the flexible ones too.
Iíve broken so many GWS props I could make a traffic cone with the plastic.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11318

Receiver ,I was a little skeptical about how effective this little receiver would be at $9.99 each. It looks like the connections make up the lionís share of its weight. So small but I havenít had a problem with any of them yet.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11972
Hinge material and other pieces of hardware like wire for the push rods and gear
Oct 18, 2015, 08:16 PM
RC 4 Life
I had a great video of this plane in the air.
During editing it was not saved and I cant find the raw footage now

I'll save this post spot for when I can get out and record it again.
Its just as well though. It was really cut up because of some guys just don't know when to stop talking.
Oct 18, 2015, 08:17 PM
RC 4 Life
In keeping with the rest of the cartoon planes the Cartoon Hell Cat does not require shaping the foam sheets much because of the formed plastic parts.
Before I start this construction thread you need to know that if you build the Cartoon Hell Cat you have built the whole Cartoon war bird series.
I have designed them so the instructions are very close to being the same with only a few slight differences between them making the thread necessary.
Any questions along the way or after just ask.
Oct 21, 2015, 06:48 PM
RC 4 Life

Construction.

Cut the patterns from the pattern sheet and use spray adhesive to bond the patterns to poster board or card stock , About the thickness of large mail envelopes is about right.
Carefully cut the patterns out using scissors for the curved edges and a straight edge and hobby knife for the straight cuts. These straight cuts should be made on a smooth hard surface since you have to push down fairly hard; too hard for a craft cutting board.
If you don't have a cutting board get one, when you cut sheet foam it saves blades and keeps them from getting dull.
Oct 21, 2015, 06:51 PM
RC 4 Life

The Wing

We will need the wing right away when the fuselage is being built so let's start there.
The visual progress will really get you enthused with the project any way .
This wing construction method uses no ribs, as a weight and labor saving measure, the wing has several tapered spars that give it strength and the airfoil shape we need.
The wing is constructed from the bottom sheeting up by using the pattern from the plans to lay out a 3mm sheet.
The weights will make sure the pattern does not move while cutting.
Since you are cutting large pieces, use the wing pattern to cut the wing top sheeting.

Note that the top sheeting is about ľ inch larger than the pattern, this to allow for the curve and to help you clamp the edges easier.
Oct 21, 2015, 06:52 PM
RC 4 Life
The spar locations at the root are transferred to the bottom sheeting from the plans the easy way is to fold the pattern or cut at the root and make the marks of course a ruler works too.
At the wing tip, marks are transferred from the tip pattern. lines can be drawn from mark to mark with a straight edge.
Oct 21, 2015, 06:53 PM
RC 4 Life
Note. when cutting the spars It is best to stack two sheets of 6mm while cutting the spars so each spar is identical.

The leading edge, Aileron hinge line strip and wing tips are bonded first with polyurethane glue.
Oct 21, 2015, 06:55 PM
RC 4 Life
From there the remainder of the spars are bonded with polyurethane glue to the bottom sheeting using weights for clamp pressure.

The clear plastic is there to keep my cutting board clean.
Oct 21, 2015, 08:51 PM
Silly as it may sound : it's not overly Cartoon like..
Actually looks just like a bit too tubby Stand Off Scale attempt.
Oct 22, 2015, 06:35 AM
Also, if I was me, I'd make the fin/rudder half as big again, or twice as big , to make it more cartoon like. Wouldn't hurt the aerodynamics at all.
Just some constructive criticism.
Gord.
Oct 22, 2015, 09:05 AM
When cows fly!
Sparks! Love the Hellcat!
Oct 22, 2015, 11:51 AM
hes back
so cool, look out for is building with foam book well worth it

will
Oct 22, 2015, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
it's not overly Cartoon like..
Yep. Just about right

Some 'toon designs out there are ridiculously Cartoony. My preference is for designs that are only relatively gently exaggerated
Oct 22, 2015, 03:55 PM
RC 4 Life
Bare, If the Hell Cat didn't fly good it would give the rest of the cartoon series a black eye.
I've been at this for 4 years and it has been hard work and time away from the flying field, not worth the risk.

It could have been fatter with shorter wings and a tiny tail.
but that would get us away from it being fun to fly.

Kind of the point really.

Quick Reply