Cartoon Corsair - Page 3 - RC Groups
Nov 14, 2015, 10:12 PM
When cows fly!
Keep up the great work!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2015, 08:00 PM
RC 4 Life

Ailerons

Mark the ailerons from dimensions taken from the plans.
Cut them free from the wing with a new hobby knife blade.

Note the slight angle toward the trailing edge.

Sand the clearance angles needed for them to move.
With the angle used to cut the aileron free sanding an angle in the wing should not be needed.

Note the blue line along the hinge line.
This is the ink from the highlighter pen used earlier.
Nov 19, 2015, 08:00 PM
RC 4 Life
aileron hinging
Hinge the aileron using thin strips of fiber hinge material , you can hook them up later.
Now that the wing is completed this is where you need to order the short kit.
Nov 19, 2015, 08:02 PM
RC 4 Life
The wing fillets are formed plastic parts that are held to the wing with spray 77.
I noticed a significant improvement to the strength to the wing after they were installed.
To get started, rough trim the plastic with a knife along the edges and break the scrap free.

Hold the wing and fillet up to a bright light and mark the edges of the wing panels then trim the plastic away that you don't need.
I went with a 1/4 inch bond area because that is what it took to clear the ailerons.
Nov 19, 2015, 08:03 PM
RC 4 Life
Make sure the spars and skin doublers does not interfere with the fillet installation. Practice installing them before you apply the Spray 77.
I used masking tape to hold the leading edge in place while the adhesive dries. I tried to tool the plastic so it is spring loaded against the leading edge to make it easy but a perfect fit depends on the amount of sanding that is done. The tape is needed to make up for the human factor.
After the glue is dry .
Trim the extra plastic from the trailing edge, shape a piece of 6mm foam and fill the trailing edge gap.
Nov 29, 2015, 05:23 PM
RC 4 Life

Fuselage

To build the cartoon Corsair fuselage.
Use spray adhesive to bond the patterns to card stock , About the thickness of large mail envelopes is about right.

Carefully cut the patterns out using scissors for the curved edges and a straight edge and hobby knife for the straight cuts.
These straight cuts should be made on a smooth hard surface since you have to push down fairly hard; too hard for a craft cutting board.

If you don't have a cutting board get one, when you cut sheet foam it saves blades and keeps them from getting dull.
Nov 30, 2015, 11:08 AM
When cows fly!
Nov 30, 2015, 03:26 PM
Following with interest. Not to build, to see the end result of your hard and dedicated work.
Dec 03, 2015, 06:00 PM
RC 4 Life
The hardest part about cutting the formers was keeping the knife 90 degrees to the building surface, it's not hard at all.
When you cut the 3mm side panels cut them at the same time.
This ensures that they are identical.
Applying water between them will hold them together very well.

Before they are separated mark the former locations at the same time for the same reason.
When you cut the wing saddle curve (not shown here) Cut the saddle with some extra material by sliding the pattern down 1/8inch Then cut that portion of the fuselage sides.
Dec 03, 2015, 06:03 PM
RC 4 Life
This is one of the steps that is different than the rest of the cartoon planes.
I tried to keep them all as flat panel construction and depend on the formed plastic to take care of the curved parts.

This is a corsair and there are no flat panels to take advantage of.

This curved part is not hard at all to form though.
I used a length of PVC pipe 3/4 diameter on the work surface. Using even downward pressure on the "meaty portion" of my palms, I rolled the side panels on the table.

Note that the wedding ring is off, rings leave dents.

Be sure to make a left and right side.
Then put the ring back on, I don't want it lost
Dec 03, 2015, 06:05 PM
RC 4 Life
Tape the aft corners of the panels together but don't smash it flat.

Bond the F-1 former in place on the edge of the panels.
Dec 03, 2015, 06:07 PM
RC 4 Life
Bond the formers in place working from the front to back.
Trapping the formers in-between tape strips will hold them in place.
Be careful to only stick the strips to the tops of the sheeting or at least only a little of the edges.
when you pull the tape off it can damage the foams smooth surface.

Stop at former F-3 and install former F-8

Yes, I know the photo shows F-9 as the last former, this is the prototype photos.
I had to create a new former so the stab will fit properly so the numbers are off by one in some shots.

Former F-3 is now F-3 and F-3a.
Now would be a good time to bond the motor mount doublers in place.
No photos of that because did it much later after I plotted its position.
Dec 06, 2015, 05:04 PM
RC Adddict
Love it. Would go great with my other unfinished toon planes. I haven't ordered anything new for this winter as I'm going to attempt to get my projects from the last 3 maybe 4 winters complete.
Dec 12, 2015, 08:03 PM
RC 4 Life

Bond the wing in place.

The next few steps will require the bottom of the wing to be supported above the table so use the foam blocks you used when the wing was assembled.

Put the fuselage on the wing to test the fit. It should be very close front to back. A little sanding may be needed to the wing L.E. or T.E.
Once you can get it to settle down on the saddle check for gaps. The high spots are dealt with by placing 180 grit sandpaper rough side up and while pushing the fuselage down with very light pressure moving the sandpaper front to back.
Use slow strokes to keep from tearing the foam sheeting. If the paper snags the edge you want to be able to stop.
Dec 12, 2015, 08:04 PM
RC 4 Life
Put just enough gorilla glue on the edge of the wing saddle to make it glossy and put the fuselage in place .

Weights and sticks will hold it down hard enough to keep it there.
Be sure the center lines are aligned.
Stick around for about 20 min to keep an eye on the bond to rubdown any glue foam "blowouts".