Oct 30, 2015, 06:34 PM
RC 4 Life
I cut the cable tubing at an angle so I could push it thru the spars.
At the exit points I bonded a 6mm patch to help control the angle exit angle.
This is the only place the cable tube was bonded to keep some flexibility in the tube for the wing bend step.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2015, 06:36 PM
RC 4 Life

outer wing panel.

When you cut the upper wing panel make the leading edge and wing tip larger by 1/2 inch to give you some material to push down on for a complete bond.

Slide the shim used before under the wing tip.

Apply glue to the wing edge and spars and clamp with weights.
I have found that the bridge clamp method works best for even and more precise pressure.

Sounds special but it is simply a stiff panel with weights, black panels in this case.
What I have failed to show is the weights around the wing tip that bends the skin against the tip doubler.
Oct 30, 2015, 06:38 PM
RC 4 Life

Time for the first bend.

The first shot is the left hand wing panel , cuts are made to remove the 6mm strips to allow the bottom sheeting to bend.

Cut the spar in the center of the "V" enough to insert a folded sheet of 180 grit sand paper.

Lift the wing panel while moving the sandpaper.
Light upward pressure and short sanding strokes is the trick.
Don't forget to have a weight on the other panel to hold it flat.
You will know when you are finished when you can get the two rigging wedges under the wing.
Oct 30, 2015, 06:42 PM
RC 4 Life
Apply gorilla glue to the spar joints and install the rigging wedges.
The angle is most important, don't worry about small gaps, the glue will fill it in. let is set up for a few hours but overnight is best.

The measurement from the table top to the wing tip is 5 1/2 inch.
Oct 30, 2015, 06:45 PM
RC 4 Life

Landing gear support

If your model will have landing gear install 6mm panels in the marked locations.
Note that the long piece will require a bend to match the curve of the wing bend.
Nov 02, 2015, 07:36 PM
RC 4 Life
The strips we removed earlier will need to be replaced.
Work a strip of 6mm with your hands or a tube and cut them to fit and bond them in place.
Nov 02, 2015, 08:54 PM
When cows fly!
Watching with interest
Nov 05, 2015, 07:04 PM
RC 4 Life

Second bend

While we can still see the guide line clearly we need to make a slight crease along this line.
Using the edge of the table, support the center sheeting with one hand and push down on the spars evenly.

Again, we are looking for a crease not a fold.
Nov 05, 2015, 07:07 PM
RC 4 Life
Bond the sheeting to the inner wing panels.
Cut the width of the skins slightly wider so it can extend beyond the marks at the center section.
Last edited by sparks; Nov 05, 2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Photo wont rotate
Nov 05, 2015, 07:26 PM
When cows fly!
Excellent work!
Nov 14, 2015, 01:28 PM
RC 4 Life
With the first bend held against the building surface with weights and the center panel held above the work surface with 1 inch blocks.

I used foam blocks here but anything will work as long as they are equal and parallel.

Attach sandpaper to a 90 degree block and sand the spars 90 degrees to the center panel bottom sheeting.
Nov 14, 2015, 01:30 PM
RC 4 Life
Cut foam center spars equal to the height of the spars in the wing from 6mm material.

Bond them to the bottom sheeting and the wing spars.
Nov 14, 2015, 01:32 PM
RC 4 Life

Servo connection.

Now will be the time to hook up the servo connection if you are going with a single servo option.

If your plan is to use dual servos you can cut the holes any time and push the wires to the center section and out thru an exit hole.

Since the cable guides are bonded in place in the wing I cut the loop at the center point leaving a gap for servo arm movement.
It's a lousy photo but I bent a "Z" bend in the center of the cable and slid the servo arm over it.

The arm is attached to the servo and the servo is attached with double sided tape for now on the wing centerline.
Nov 14, 2015, 01:33 PM
RC 4 Life
I used pins to align the cable guides and 6mm blocks to hold them in place.
Nov 14, 2015, 01:35 PM
RC 4 Life
Next was to bond the top center section sheeting in place.
Keep the gaps small by test fitting and making the adjustments with sandpaper.

Now that the sheeting is complete sand the edges to make them even and smooth. Remember that a rounded dull leading edge will stall more gently than a sharp one.