Cartoon Corsair - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 18, 2015, 07:49 PM
RC 4 Life
Build Log

Cartoon Corsair

Finally, the Cartoon plane you guys have been after me to build, the Cartoon Corsair. I managed to apply the same formula to this corsair that I used on all the other cartoon planes giving me a funny model that can fly. This is a novelty model that will require power to fly so don't fly to BEC. Fat planes with short wings do not glide but at 11 ounces drag is your only worry.
This design steps away from the simplistic assembly of the other cartoon planes I have posted here on RC groups. The gull wing configuration adds several steps to the assembly. I managed to keep them familiar to the steps taken with the others though. The biggest difference with this design is the need for disposable blocks and angle wedges to ensure accuracy.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2015, 07:50 PM
RC 4 Life
Equipment
Again, I have short kits available on the website now.
What you will get is the Plans and plastic parts listed on the site.
The plans would better be described as a pattern page since you don't actually build it over printed paper. The plastic parts are what makes this model go together so fast, there is no foam forming required.
The materials you will need is
One sheet of 3mm foam and less than 1/8 sheet of 6mm
Gorilla glue ( polyurethane glue)
I know a bunch of you scorn Hobby King but the total cost of the complete electronics set for this Cartoon Plane was $35 plus shipping.
The motor I used is what is on all the cartoon planes is a 1800 KVA out runner ( $6.32 )
Basically any small motor that can flip a 7 to 8 inch prop will work fine.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=5430
Three cell 800 to 850 mah battery http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._3S1P_20C.html

Electronic speed control (ESC) is an 18 to 20 amp but all that is required is 10 amps.
I tend to over kill on this component just a bit as a cushion and at $6.77 why not?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6457

Servos, A 3 gram servo or equivalent is all you need to move the tail feathers. I think we called them blue birds at one time. the one I use is $3.49 each.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...?idProduct=663

Propellers . . . 5 for $2.24 what can I say ; and they are the flexible ones too.
Iíve broken so many GWS props I could make a traffic cone with the plastic.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11318

Receiver ,I was a little skeptical about how effective this little receiver would be at $9.99 each. It looks like the connections make up the lionís share of its weight. So small but I havenít had a problem with any of them yet.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11972
Hinge material and other pieces of hardware like wire for the push rods and gear.
Oct 18, 2015, 07:52 PM
RC 4 Life
What can I say . . .I was wrong and you guys was right
A cartoon plane that has a radial can fly good.

Cartoon Corsair flight demo (5 min 53 sec)
Oct 18, 2015, 07:56 PM
RC 4 Life
Since several Cartoon Corsairs are already "in the field" I'll get to the instructions right away.
Please keep in mind Ill have to drag it out a bit to keep the thread alive.
Besides there are two other threads running
Cartoon P-47 and Hell cat.

In keeping with the rest of the cartoon planes the Cartoon Corsair does not require shaping the foam sheets much because of the formed plastic parts.
Before I start this construction thread you need to know that if you build the Cartoon Corsair you have built the whole Cartoon war bird series.
I have designed them so the instructions are very close to being the same with only a few slight differences between them making the thread necessary.
Any questions along the way or after just ask.
Last edited by sparks; Oct 18, 2015 at 08:21 PM.
Oct 24, 2015, 06:33 PM
RC 4 Life
I would like to run this thread just a bit differently than the rest.
Below is the wing plans for you to print.
I hope I posted it correctly, if not let me know and I'll give it another go.

The wing is easy to assemble . . . . .now.
(took me three tries before I had it developed to be easy)

I'm not talking down to any one so don't be insulted.
The thought here is if you cant build the wing there is no point in ordering the plastic parts.
I just don't want any one to be sorry they ordered the short kit.
Oct 24, 2015, 06:35 PM
RC 4 Life
Cut the bottom sheet and do the lay out work. It is much easier if you fold the pattern to make the marks for the spar locations. This is basically a bent Hershey bar wing all spars are parallel to the leading edge so lay out is easy. Here I have the trailing edge marked only , you should draw both because it is one less thing to think about while you are bonding the spars in place.
Do not forget to mark the lines going across the wing bottom skin. They are from the center out , center line, fuselage bend line , outer panel bend area.
Oct 24, 2015, 06:37 PM
RC 4 Life
I marked the outer bend area with a big red "X".
This is to remind me to not bond the spars or strips here. With all these lines it's easy to forget.

The brass tube shown is a 9/16 dia. tube.
This dimension is not critical to the next step but I wouldn't go smaller than this.
Put the bend area over the table edge and hold down the tube. With your other hand and applying even pressure roll the wing sheeting over the tube. This step will make the bent portion of the wind consistent and a bit easier when the time comes.
Oct 24, 2015, 06:38 PM
RC 4 Life

edges.

Cut the wing tip and the leading edge strip ( both 6mm)
Bond them in place with Gorilla glue, note the use of plastic to protect the table top.
The 6mm strips in the mid portion of the wing is there to support the weights. They force the weights to push straight down rather than "leaning pressure".
Oct 24, 2015, 06:40 PM
RC 4 Life
Bond the spar patterns to card stock and cut them out.
Use them to mark and cut the spars from 6mm foam.
Note: if you use a scroll saw to do the cuts, you can stack two pieces of foam and cut them at the same time to make them identical.

The scrap taken from the bottom wing sheeting is used as a shim to form a 3mm curve upward in the wing tip. Make a line 1/4 inch from the edge and slide it under the wing tip.
Bond the spars and aileron strip in place.

Do not apply glue to the bend area.
Oct 24, 2015, 06:42 PM
RC 4 Life
To get the smooth airfoil we want ( no bumps) we need to sand off the corners of the spars. it is much easier to track your progress if you mark the spars and edges with a highlighter pen.

So far the wing is just like the rest of the Cartoon Planes.
Oct 24, 2015, 06:43 PM
RC 4 Life
We need to sand the spars from root to tip.
If you sand from leading edge to trailing edge you could break a spar loose.

Bridge your sanding block from one spar to the other holding it diagonally.

Before you start taper the trailing edge of the wing tip doubler.
Also sand the wing tip to match the curve in the spars.
Oct 24, 2015, 06:46 PM
RC 4 Life
Aileron servo
This is where some of you may want to take off on your own.

My intention is to operate my ailerons with one servo connected by a single flexible cable. I think the rigging is easier and saves the weight of an extra servo.

However I understand how easy it would be to drop a servo in each outer wing panel and thread the wires thru the wing. This is why the servo will fit in-between the spar just forward of the aileron hinge strip.
Either way we will have to think ahead a bit because we sheet the outer wing panels next.
Oct 27, 2015, 05:34 PM
Looks like a fun build!
Oct 28, 2015, 09:23 AM
When cows fly!
Every time I check this thread out, I remember I have one of your P-40 Warhawk kits that I need to build! So many planes, so little time. Dang I love the Corsair though
Oct 28, 2015, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer146
Every time I check this thread out, I remember I have one of your P-40 Warhawk kits that I need to build! So many planes, so little time. Dang I love the Corsair though
I love the Corsair too (as you can see pictured below)! It's been my favorite since childhood (decades ago). Although I don't need anymore projects, this one is a tempting one.

Following thread.