Oct 18, 2015, 06:15 PM
John
Thread OP
Discussion

Rudder and Elevator Chatter

I have a Value Hobby Edge and when the receiver connects to the radio and the servos center the rudder and elevator vibrate/chatter. I can also make them chatter by moving the stick about half way then letting it snap back to center. Sometimes the rudder will chatter from the vibration of walking with the plane in my hand. I also see the rudder sometimes chatters in the air when I'm flying. I can make it stop by grabbing the control surface or moving the surface with the sticks and holding it for a second. Any ideas on how to fix this? I have a video of it but I got an error when uploading it, if you give me an email address I can send it to you.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2015, 09:34 PM
Are the servos digital? How old are they? Tested with another Esc? Might be what's called servo flutter. If you touch them do they stop chattering? I found that cheap digital servos will do this, but it can happen on good servos too. Don't see it happen with analog servos very often though. Are your linkages free from binding? Just some thoughts on things to look at.
Oct 19, 2015, 02:11 AM
Suspended Account
I find a 'chatter' is often different from a 'mind of it's own' servo glitch. A chattering servo will usually (not saying always) disappear in flight. Or at least if it doesn't disappear altogether it certainly doesn't affect your flying in any way.

On the other hand a 'mind of it's own' servo which makes sudden jumps/chatters/twitches tends to come and go and usually (not saying always) is more violent and certainly DOES affect your flying and could and will cause a crash. Replace these servos immediately.

As iadamz says, do these checks and if still a problem, just get rid.
Oct 19, 2015, 11:46 AM
Fully Sending It
Need more info:

-Servo make/manufacturer?
-ESC/BEC voltage?
-Extensions?
-Long servo arms?
Oct 19, 2015, 09:55 PM
John
Thread OP
Servos are Towerpro SG90 analog. Unfortunately I don't know the ESC/BEC voltage. No extensions and the servo arms are what came with the servos (normal length). They are pretty cheap so swapping them out seems to be the easiest thing to do at this point. I'm somewhat new to this hobby and wasn't sure if this chatter/flutter was something that just needed an adjustment to be fixed. Thanks for everyone's input.

Quick Reply