Check out the new Glowforge 3D laser printer (laser cutter) - RC Groups
Oct 16, 2015, 09:39 PM
A man without a plan
Discussion

Check out the new Glowforge 3D laser printer (laser cutter)

Hey guys,
I just preordered one of these things! it is a laser cutter/engraver but it has some really cool features and I think it deserves a mention here in this forum where a lot of us are interested in stuff like this.

This is also a shameless plug to get you to follow my link to give you a $100 discount on your order (and mine!) So check it out, only 7 days left until the price goes WAY up!

http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=fWdGAG

Introducing Glowforge - The 3D Laser Printer (2 min 59 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2015, 04:52 AM
rookie flyer
Though it look very nice i dont like the fact it must be connected to cloud in order to generate Gcode.
I am also in hunt for good afordable hobby laser for my projects.
With same active lasering area i would rather buy FS Laser H series with 45Watt gold catalyst tube with est, 3000-4000 Whrs and 2year extended warranty.
They had some issues when they started but i think it is good purchase now.
Another solution for me would be LS3060 from HPC Laser UK with 60 watt tube and larger lasering area of 300x600mm for 4000 BP.
Now these dont have nice features of Glowforge but i attend to laser from file anyway.
Just my opinion
Oct 17, 2015, 01:14 PM
A man without a plan
I have a friend with an FS Laser H series and he loves it, makes some very cool things with it also. From what I have heard over in the Makergear forum the Glowforge will come with a Copy of the software to run on your computer, I am not 100% sure how true this is but I have my fingers crossed. I am not a big fan of the whole "Cloud" thing but with the amount of cool features the Glowforge has, like the ability to detect a curved surface and adjust accordingly, I couldn't resist, especially at %50 off!
Oct 17, 2015, 01:32 PM
rookie flyer
I am still waiting response from them but it will be cloud based for sure.
Meet the Glowforge 3D Laser Printer (22 min 20 sec)
Oct 17, 2015, 01:57 PM
A man without a plan
I just read this
http://www.tested.com/tech/548192-go...-laser-cutter/

He says that it will only be cloud based but they are keeping it open source so that if something ever does happen to the company, people will be able to write their own software.
So it has it's pros and cons. For me, I am a busy person and I do a lot of other things. Something that is easy to use will be a big bonus for someone like me, even if it has to be connected to the internet. To be honest though, I haven't really been offline in over 8 or 9 years..... So I am not too worried about it I don't know when I will finally get this thing but I will report back here when I do get it!
Oct 17, 2015, 02:35 PM
rookie flyer
Its not the problem to be connected for me. Its problem to send my hard work to some server on the other side of planet just to watch it be cutted infront of me.
You get it? i dont want my hard work to leave my hard drive even if i am not doing multi million dolars business, no matter how good server is protected from hackers.
Call me conspiracy theorist if you like
On the other hand as they stated for pro model, it have pass trough. I mean this is enormous plus and you are able to cut long pieces on small cutting area, plus it has camera follow.....
I am not in rush for this. Will wait. If they succed in business i hope they will launch fully stand alone product with all these features...
I like where this goes but without cloud based thingies...
Oct 23, 2015, 11:24 AM
I ordered the Pro unit. Biggest reasons for going with GF is that I can use a Mac or any other device to cut product. For us Composite mold makers the ability to hand draw on the work material and cut or engrave immediately is a big bonus for prototyping or just fitting a part. Not concerned about using the cloud has all my emails B/U data etc now goes via the cloud.

Most other laser makers would have a much larger market if they did not limit you to a specific drawing app/ file type or platform. Lets face it everything that I design/draw can be printed on any printer so why can I not cut on any laser. My friend cuts my stuff at the moment and I send him my files in EPS format that printers use. Then he imports into a windows app that only works with his laser. Then it gets imported to the laser to have the line colors setup for cutting power. Then finally cuts the wood. In todays technology market that method is ridiculous.
Oct 23, 2015, 12:35 PM
A man without a plan
Not sure if you used my link or not, if you did I appreciate it very much!
Oct 30, 2015, 11:44 AM
I am also looking at this. My biggest concern is still ventilation and associated hassle that goes with it. Any thoughts??
Oct 30, 2015, 12:10 PM
-insert witty saying here-
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer
Most other laser makers would have a much larger market if they did not limit you to a specific drawing app/ file type or platform. Lets face it everything that I design/draw can be printed on any printer so why can I not cut on any laser. My friend cuts my stuff at the moment and I send him my files in EPS format that printers use. Then he imports into a windows app that only works with his laser. Then it gets imported to the laser to have the line colors setup for cutting power. Then finally cuts the wood. In todays technology market that method is ridiculous.
I popped on the Basic and used Helifrek's referral link.

Just as a shameless plug, here's mine: http://glowforge.com/?kid=ZmVCT5

I'll agree with some of Ace's comments, but keep in mind that much of the technology and mindset behind these machines is driven from industry, where a +/- .005" tolerance (or less) is the norm. You simply cannot achieve that without a true vector file. With much of the "maker" movement, "close enough" seems to be the norm, so now we have equipment that will work within the requirements of the intended market. I think the scan and cut feature is fantastic, just don't try that with ribs and formers, then expect a precision fit like they came from Bob Holman.
Latest blog entry: ECSF 2017 SWap Meet - 4/2/17...
Oct 30, 2015, 12:13 PM
I'm a little confused??? Is an acutal 3d printer??? Or is it just a laser cutting/ engraving machine??
Oct 30, 2015, 01:31 PM
It's a cutter engraver. Don't know why they insist calling it a printer.
Oct 30, 2015, 01:47 PM
Just pulled the trigger so will see.
Oct 30, 2015, 01:50 PM
Email from the company..Hi there!

Glowforge will be available for pre-order up until we have it in full production and can ship them out immediately. At that point, we expect to have retail pricing. We haven't announced when that will happen because pre-orders will have priority, and we're not going to be selling them via retail until our awesome pre-order customers are taken care of!
Oct 30, 2015, 03:06 PM
$100.00 off if you buy using this link. Thanks Joe http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=hqI5v9