Oct 15, 2015, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Artigas frigate scratch build

thought I would post my blog for all to see. well i am new to model ship building and thought why not go all out and build my own from scratch. sorry nothing against kits but i think there is nothing like getting stuck in at the deep end from the outset. i found some free yes freee plans . theses were in small scale and i wanted big, anyway build has now started, well started on the 19/09/2015 not sure how this will turn out as i have very limited no, i have no model building experience at all so this is all guess work from the out set. i will post picks as i build. This ship will be an aprox 6ft and fingers crossed it turns out well.
Last edited by razzar; Oct 18, 2015 at 09:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2015, 05:00 PM
boat butcher
Welcome to the forum .

Mark
Oct 15, 2015, 09:23 PM
Oct 15, 2015, 09:46 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Start out by photocopying the lines, then pasting them to plywood, and cutting the
frames and keel. We look forward to seeing your next progress photo here.

Oct 18, 2015, 08:14 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

The Artigas. start of build, plans blown up, and templates cut out of some card i had laying around
Oct 18, 2015, 08:16 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

time to put my new scroll saw to work.
Oct 18, 2015, 08:17 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

time to start gluing
Oct 18, 2015, 08:18 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

well i thought do i fit the prop shafts at this stage or wait till the hull was all done. then i noted this may be harder to do when the hull is completed, so i went for it and had to modify some of the bones, which would have been much harder with a completed hull. not sure if they are in the right place but they look right in relation to the real thing. only one way to know is when I first test her in the water, on with the build.
Oct 18, 2015, 08:19 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

made from scratch had to paint it could not wait, and looks like it turned out well
Oct 18, 2015, 08:21 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

shopping round for a few more pics to help the build
Oct 18, 2015, 08:24 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

on to some planking
Oct 18, 2015, 08:26 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

little bit more done. so far i am now around 3 weeks into the build, i can see that i will have quite a bit of sanding and filling to do. but not looking to bad so far so good.
Oct 18, 2015, 08:26 AM
what scale are we dealing with?
Oct 18, 2015, 08:28 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

the bow is coming on nicely, had to just the left raised side as its curve did not match the other side . dremell did the job
Oct 18, 2015, 08:29 AM
Thread OP

Artigas

well what a sticky mess i ended up in , my plan was to seal the hull with resin, and i thought i had mixed it right. so part of the resin went off but some areas remained sticky. so solution found was to cover with a thin layer of body filler which activated the hardener and bobs your uncle the resin set . a lot of sanding was then needed to clean up the uneven mess . I am close to finishing the hull with some primer and plan to start on the deck, but in mid thought I think I should check for leaks and work out where I need ballast. so battery's bought, 2 x 6v 7ah 1/2 price from maplin, i will fit my 2 x motors, and fill the bath when the wife is out of the house. i will post more pics of current stage in my next post.

cancelled that idea it did not fit in the bath so paddling pool in the back garden worked well
Last edited by razzar; Oct 18, 2015 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply