Oct 14, 2015, 11:15 PM
All Things RC
Thread OP
Build Log

Yet Another Corsair!

I purchased a Top Flite Gold Edition Corsair 60 kit. Going to put a 91 FS in this, electric retracts and possibly make some scale alterations to the kit. I'm excited to build this but in no hurry. I plan to build this over the winter and Spring. Hopefully will get it in the air next summer.
Last edited by forwardonly; Oct 27, 2015 at 04:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2015, 03:35 PM
The Corsair has ROTATING retractable to the rear retracts.

What electric rotating gear are you going to use?

Tom
Oct 16, 2015, 09:20 AM
All Things RC
Thread OP
Not sure Tom! I saw that Robart has 100 degree rotating electrics but I haven't looked to see if they work for this. I know the Corsair wing creates some challenges. If I have to, I'll use pneumatic but I'd sure love the ease of electric.

Also not sure if I want to glass or cover the frame. I'd like to glass so the painting options are more flexible. I'd like to take my time with this one and attempt to create a more scale representation. Otherwise, I'd just buy the ARF.

Any advice on retracts is VERY welcome. This will be my first time setting one up with them.
Oct 16, 2015, 09:48 AM
Forward, good luck on your Corsair build. I am sure it will be really nice when finished. I have a Global Hobbies A-1 that I bought at an auction for $20 six or seven years ago. I started on the fuselage several years ago and pushed it aside for another project. And it keeps getting pushed aside every winter. I need to build it. I finally finished and flew my Pete-N-Poke a couple of weeks ago out at the Rolla field. I was astounded at how well that little airplane flew. I just couldn't believe it. I didn't have an incidence gauge so I kind of guessed at the wing incidence angle. I made the front of the wing 1/16th of a inch higher than the rear of the wing and I nailed it. It really flies good. I was really surprised because of all the changes I made to it. I have a 52 four stroke Asp engine on it and it really pulls that airplane around in the air.

Woody
Oct 16, 2015, 01:20 PM
All Things RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1832y
Forward, good luck on your Corsair build. I am sure it will be really nice when finished. I have a Global Hobbies A-1 that I bought at an auction for $20 six or seven years ago. I started on the fuselage several years ago and pushed it aside for another project. And it keeps getting pushed aside every winter. I need to build it. I finally finished and flew my Pete-N-Poke a couple of weeks ago out at the Rolla field. I was astounded at how well that little airplane flew. I just couldn't believe it. I didn't have an incidence gauge so I kind of guessed at the wing incidence angle. I made the front of the wing 1/16th of a inch higher than the rear of the wing and I nailed it. It really flies good. I was really surprised because of all the changes I made to it. I have a 52 four stroke Asp engine on it and it really pulls that airplane around in the air.

Woody
Awesome! I like my slow poke too, but the Enya 6002 is slow. It is a great little slow flyer with it though. I finally rebuilt the hatch on my Hog Bipe. The original is somewhere in the field west of the fly field. Just don't have time to fly. My son and I built a little 3 channel mountain models kit as well. That needs to be maidened.
Oct 19, 2015, 12:04 PM

Subscribed

Subscribed. Looking forward to the build.

That's a great looking kit.

PD.
Oct 19, 2015, 09:13 PM
All Things RC
Thread OP
My kit came in today! What a great feeling to open a brand new kit box and see that nice cowl and canopy with a box full of wood!!!

I won't be starting this one for a month or so. I have another kit to build first and some more things to purchase for the corsair. Although I am really excited for this one! I've always wanted a corsair.
Oct 21, 2015, 01:49 PM
I kill throttle servos
Looking forward to see how it goes!

Chris
Oct 21, 2015, 02:23 PM
You should do a build log in the "Balsa Builders" forum. You'll get all the help you need.
Oct 21, 2015, 02:57 PM
All Things RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchiyuk
You should do a build log in the "Balsa Builders" forum. You'll get all the help you need.
Will do.

So far, I'm going to use a .91 four stroke. Scale cockpit, retracts (not sure which ones), and I need to research what trim scheme I want to use.

I'm considering putting aside my other build and starting this one soon.
Oct 21, 2015, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardonly
Will do.

So far, I'm going to use a .91 four stroke. Scale cockpit, retracts (not sure which ones), and I need to research what trim scheme I want to use.

I'm considering putting aside my other build and starting this one soon.
I have the Top Flite ARF, but I used the O.S. 95V with a 14X7 three blade prop...perfect combo.
Oct 21, 2015, 06:35 PM
Scratch builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardonly
Awesome! I like my slow poke too, but the Enya 6002 is slow. It is a great little slow flyer with it though. I finally rebuilt the hatch on my Hog Bipe. The original is somewhere in the field west of the fly field. Just don't have time to fly. My son and I built a little 3 channel mountain models kit as well. That needs to be maidened.
You must check for the slow poke a magnum or asp 52fs. We have a pair here both flight excelent one with magnum and one with os 52 fs. Belive me no difference betwen that engines we run them with master 12x5 s-2
Oct 26, 2015, 10:13 PM
All Things RC
Thread OP
I have started a build log in the kit/scratch build section. Come join me for some building fun!
Oct 27, 2015, 04:30 PM
All Things RC
Thread OP
After a lot of consideration about what to build next, I decided on the Top Flite Corsair 60. I had thought about a lot of different planes and possibly giant scale, but this one kept catching my eye and the corsair has been a long time favorite of mine.

I have purchased the kit and some supplies. I'm planning on using an OS 91 Surpass or the newer FS-95V. ( I hope that this being a nitro motor doesn't put this build in the wrong threads, but there is no Fuel kit building thread). I have not decided yet whether or not to attempt a scale plane as I know this kit is not true to scale for the F4U-1. I do plan on doing retracts and a full cockpit as well as adding some other scale(ish) details and weathering. I hope to glass this and use my air brushing skills to finish it off.

Since my son and I finished his 4-H project (Mountain Models Round2it) my bench is cleared and the journey has begun! I have labeled all the parts and cleaned up the bench for the build. Tonight I did steps 1-6. I am noticing a bit more shaping in this build than my last, but I expected that. My last build was a Sig Hog Bipe and it was a very straight forward build. I have also build a Great Planes Slow Poke Sport 40 which was far harder to build than the Sig. I am ready for this challenge and I hope I get some good results. I plan on taking my time (which I don't have much of anyway) and finishing the build early next summer or Spring if I get some snow days this Winter.

Thanks for joining me! Feel free to offer suggestions and to help me out when I get stuck!
Oct 28, 2015, 10:04 PM
All Things RC
Thread OP

Fin!

I got the fin done tonight. It has been great to get to do a little each night on this this week. At this pace, I might actually finish this thing this winter and get it in the air in the Spring! So far, not surprises on the build. I still have some shaping of LE's to do, but I'm going to wait until my multi sander comes in to do this. On to the elevators tomorrow night if I get some time at home.

Quick Reply