Jan 16, 2020, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0
What type of range do you get with this antenna?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2020, 07:18 PM
When the strength starts to go down, i flip the switch on the antenna. The beam then comes directional and the signal strength strength goes back up. I have gone over a mile and still had good reception, but I started to get a low battery warning. Stock batteries.
Jan 16, 2020, 07:47 PM
GOT WINGS
I have flown an H501S-S 1.5 miles with almost all stock antennas. I did have to keep raising the altitude, finally was up to about 100 meters at the longest distance. I still had usable 5.8 ghz and 2.4 ghz at that distance, though they were getting weak. That was with the H901A transmitter with a H906A 5.8ghz antenna on it. The range with my H906A tx is not as good as range with my H901A tx, but the H906A 5.8ghz flat panel antenna is very good.
Jan 16, 2020, 11:14 PM
I would be tickled with a mile.
Jan 18, 2020, 02:20 PM
Quote:
When the strength starts to go down, i flip the switch on the antenna. The beam then comes directional and the signal strength strength goes back up. I have gone over a mile and still had good reception, but I started to get a low battery warning. Stock batteries.
Was over a mile with the pro ttransmitter?
Jan 18, 2020, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjeep3
Was over a mile with the pro ttransmitter?
Yes. I live and fly in the desert
Jan 25, 2020, 11:20 PM
After flying the h501 again today (kinda windy here in TX) I was kinda frustrated with what I feel is a lack of range for the drone, and no telemetry updates (the only thing that updates is the voltage)... I went home and took the transmitter and drone apart to see if there were any loose antennas. I didnt find anything loose in the transmitter. When I got the drone I replaced the top portion of the drone when I first recieved it because I was sent a white version, but ordered a black version. Hubsan sent me the black body. Im pretty sure I disconnected the GPS, and both antennas when I replaced the top body piece. All three looked like they were still connected, but I went ahead and disconnected the 2.4 antenna, adjusted it so it would "hold onto" the attachment point better, and cleaned off the white silicon as I thought it might be interfering with the connection as it was no longer effective as holding the antenna on the attachment point. I also made sure the tip of the antenna was placed well into the plastic cap when putting it all together.

I also thought that maybe there was some sort of setting that might be limiting the range of the drone as often times the signal strength is still in the low 50s or high 40s when it cuts out. I tried the software to update the parameters, but although it said the drone was connected, it never pulled the parameters from the drone. I tried 3 different versions of the software...including the h501 - h509 version.

At this point the only thing I have not tried is another antenna for the transmitter (I will be testing to see if the antenna on board the drone was not connected properly). I am at a loss as to why my distance, orientation, speed, and all that other information does not update real time, and why the distance is still kinda crappy. Does anyone know of a good antenna tester?
Jan 26, 2020, 08:03 AM
I can fix it.

poor range

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife
Hey John, Here was the original post. It looks like he is saying 300 ft but more often much less.
I have never had telemetry beyond 200 meters with my 501. I now fly a Zino and I love it!!
Jan 27, 2020, 02:30 PM
soar-ne
Have a question about the normal/expert mode usage. I am mostly a LOS type park flier old guy. Is there any secret way to take off in the expert mode and then switch to normal mode with a real low, say 30% control sensitivity for video panning and larger smoother control inputs.
I use the standard controller which you have to use the menu for switching as I understand it. Can't do that on the fly, right? Not a have to have feature but would be handy for me. Thanks ahead for any input...

Bob M.
Jan 27, 2020, 06:55 PM
Quote:
I am looking at antenna to replace the one on the controller (and maybe mod the drone's as well). I see the antenna that is listed above has a max of 7.5 db. Does this mack a difference? I have seen them as high as 12db on the internet and am wanting to see if it would extend the range.

I am also thinking of doing this mod, and would love to hear from anyone that has also done this to see what improvements it brings.

Hubsan 501-SS Mega Range 5.8ghz and 2.4Ghz antenna Modificat (4 min 15 sec)
Jan 27, 2020, 10:03 PM
KC5UH transmits -------->
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjeep3
I am looking at antenna to replace the one on the controller (and maybe mod the drone's as well). I see the antenna that is listed above has a max of 7.5 db. Does this mack a difference? I have seen them as high as 12db on the internet and am wanting to see if it would extend the range.

I am also thinking of doing this mod, and would love to hear from anyone that has also done this to see what improvements it brings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLFxJNn36QM&t=188s
I see you are next door in G.P. Send me a PM and maybe you can come to my house Saturday with your stuff. I can pair your 501 to either of my std or pro controllers and my 501 to your controller.
Jan 28, 2020, 01:02 PM
I sent you a PM Ham. Thank you.
Jan 29, 2020, 09:22 AM
soar-ne
Bump for a question in post 28314.............Thanks ahead!

Bob M.
Jan 29, 2020, 10:22 AM

Sensitivity switching in flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by soar-ne
Bump for a question in post 28314.............Thanks ahead!

Bob M.
Hi Bob, I too am an simple parks flyer old guy and would also like to know if that switch can be done. I have always flown with “Expert” and am interested to know if smoother video can be had in the other mode. Now and using trick that the guys showed here about switching off GPS and letting it drift in the wind for a smooth panoramic shot and using Circle to gain smoother video too.
Jan 30, 2020, 08:45 PM

H501s abęia upgrade

Hello friends.
I upgraded with my drone affectionately known as "abeia" ... which is a rural way of saying "bee" ...
It's the first of 5 tutorials ...
I hope you enjoy and spread the video ... that although it has only 3 minutes it took weeks of dedication to be produced.
I am immensely grateful to everyone ...

H501S ABÊIA - DIY Cloverleaf 5.8 FPV - Lenimarx (3 min 11 sec)

Quick Reply