Hubsan X4 H501S 5.8G, a micro brushless 5.8G/1080P FPV (under construction) - Page 1397 - RC Groups
Sep 13, 2017, 09:48 AM
So you can get ~40 minute flight times with just that single "half" 7000mAh battery (so 3500mAh, right)? Or are you using that battery *and* a standard battery inside the quad?

So could just just buy an actual 2S 3500mAh battery (instead of hacking up a 7000mAh battery) and get similar results?

Just curious. Nice work! :-)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2017, 10:43 AM
FYI, I did a quick test flight with my external 6-blade omni-directional biquad antenna yesterday and it was pretty impressive! I actually got a little further out than I did with my XDAMODEL panel antenna (but I went to a slight different place and from a slightly different standing position) - almost 650m though!

Just to recap - I bought (2) external biquad antennas - this one (#1):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132181218902

and this one (#2):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252324582193

I tested #1 first (since it came a few days before #2) and wasn't impressed with it AT ALL (but I don't think I did a re-bind and the frequency may not have been right).

I tested #2 yesterday and it did REALLY well! I wasn't expecting much after testing #1, but it seemed like there was a huge difference between the two. I *did* do a rebind with #2.

I'll re-test them both as soon as it's not raining. Basically, I was looking for an external antenna that would behave much like the stock internal biquad (for when I wasn't going for pure distance using a panel antenna). I figured an external biquad would be the best way to duplicate the performance of the stock internal biquad antenna.

What's strange is the the "diamond" shapes on these 2 antennas seem to be different sizes. I was under the impression that they would be the same size for 5.8ghz... But then again, I am a noob when it comes to antennas, so.... :-) The smaller one seems to perform better - but I'll do some better tests and report back when I can....
Sep 13, 2017, 11:31 AM
Are your links correct? The one you show for #1 appears to be smaller but you said it didn't work well
Sep 13, 2017, 12:06 PM
The links are correct. The pictures are just deceiving... This should help clear things up:

From my brief testing (VERY brief with #1), #2 seems to work a LOT better. But again, let me do a little more testing with #1 before coming to a final conclusion. I want to rebind with #1 attached to make sure I'm using an appropriate frequency for #1...

#1 seems mass-produced and #2 seems "hand made". I was just really surprised in the size difference - it was my understanding that the size would be the same (I thought size was critical).

Oh - I also got a like-new advanced controller for $50 on Ebay... I haven't been real impressed with the "accuracy" of the standard controller sticks (seems like the sensitivity of the controls is strange - doesn't do anything for the first 25% movement and then it becomes real sensitive all of the sudden). I know the general sensitivity is adjustable - but it seems to be more of a "range" issue than a sensitivity issue. Hard to explain. For $50, I wanted to try the advanced controller...
Last edited by jtrosky; Sep 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM.
Sep 13, 2017, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkjon
Just tried a friends module and it appears that there is an issue with the A7105 module in my unit....Got a replacement on the way so I'll see....

--Jon
New iRangeX IRX4 model arrived and still cannot bind the H501A to the Taranis using the hubsan basis protocol. I have tried the half throttle >> throttle warning>>connect H501A power>> throttle quickly to zero then full and then zero trick and it still will not bind. @ParadoxPete how did you get your H501a to bind?

--Jon
Sep 13, 2017, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky
So you can get ~40 minute flight times with just that single "half" 7000mAh battery (so 3500mAh, right)? Or are you using that battery *and* a standard battery inside the quad?

So could just just buy an actual 2S 3500mAh battery (instead of hacking up a 7000mAh battery) and get similar results?

Actually 2/3 of the battery....it was a 3s to begin with...and it still has the large cells...already has it in my head...buy 2 of these and make 3 batteries...just need another xt60 connector and some wire...these have a little circuit board on them....but u can find 2s battery balance boards for batteries cheap on aliexpress...

.I get my ebike battery parts there...I have 78 true 320mah. Panasonic 18650 Lipo batteries on my best 13s pack....6cells in paralell x 13 of the packs in series...with a $26 balance board for it....you put the balance circuit on the batteries...u can just use a simple cheap 54.6v charger.

Inwas using 5 of these 7000mah. On my bike.

There was no battery sag on the...has a higher "c" rating..but it is heavy......

I have a infinity 4s 1500mah 90c race spec...I took 2 cells of....scared to try it on there...don't know if the hubsan escs would try and pull a lot more.... It guarantee no battery sag...raining all day today and tomorrow...

Test it more then
Sep 13, 2017, 06:08 PM
Considering adding a Firefly 7S or 8S to my 501SS. I'm confused as I have seen different comments on requirements yes/no for shielding the camera to avoid interference with the 501SS. Could use some expert opinions before I spend any more money on this thing (also the 90 vs 170 lens)..
Thanks
Sep 13, 2017, 06:33 PM
"Spends" on drones are nothing compared to big helis,they are money pits.
Sep 13, 2017, 06:41 PM
WI, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibeli
"Spends" on drones are nothing compared to big helis,they are money pits.
Electric or nitro? My small Thunder Tiger Raptor 30 currently needs a new clutch. Parts are getting really hard to find for them.
Sep 13, 2017, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodwho
Review this and see if you feel comfortable proceeding with this workaround for the battery check, I have used this on my B6 and it has worked. The battery I used it on was only my FatShark battery so not a high current application and it is still going for me.

Sure looks like that is the same charger with a different case as the B6?!?! 8^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vusc1BFJX40
Thank you whodowho and Nitro_Nick, the key apparently was not connecting the balance connector. The video made that clear. I did that, started NiCad charge at 0.1 amps until voltage indicated was 6.2, no warmth or swelling. Then switched over to Lipo @ .01 A until 6.8V and switched to 2.0 amps and the full 2700 mAh completed, no warmth, no swelling. Weather permitting, it will fly tomorrow.

I'm constantly amazed at the knowledge and the assistance of members of this forum. Thank You all, or thanks, y'all, 'preciate it!.
Sep 13, 2017, 08:56 PM
Glad it worked! 8^)

I would mark that one to watch close if you have similar ones.

When on NiCad/NiMH mode the balance cable would not be used, the key was getting the cell above the threshold for low voltage safeguard when on LiPo charge
Sep 14, 2017, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodwho
Glad it worked! 8^)

I would mark that one to watch close if you have similar ones.

When on NiCad/NiMH mode the balance cable would not be used, the key was getting the cell above the threshold for low voltage safeguard when on LiPo charge
Agree. Good practice to label all batteries so you know which is which. That was an especially low voltage it went down to, so keep a very close eye and treat it gentle, at least for a while. It will have been affected, no doubt. Just by how much will only become apparent with time and use. I am still a bit surprised it discharged that low. When mine was up a tree for a week it was only 3 volt per cell and I figured that there must be a low voltage shut off. I had expected the battery to be a complete gonna, but it is fine. I have the "classic" S version of the quad. Is yours the newer SS version?
Sep 14, 2017, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky

Getting from 3s to 2s doesn't change capacity. He removed one bad cell. In series connection the voltages sum up not capacity. 1s has 3.7 nominal voltage so 2s has 7.4 and 3s 11.1 and so on.
In parallel connection however capacity sum up but voltage stays the same.
Just go figure what's the difference between two connection types. There are plenty of good guides for this.
Sep 14, 2017, 02:28 AM
Hi first of all,

I recently bought an H501ss which came installed with the latest fw in all 3 components.
I have searched a lot in this thread about fpv issues with the advanced controller. Mine issue is just with the fpv. At even 20m distance and 20m altitude I can't see anything or at least I have very frequent intermissions. I tried to change frequencies but the issue is still there.
I read some posts about problematic connection inside the Tx or about problematic antenna's.
I am waiting from Banggood an new antenna(the known that is used for upgrading the standard controller) but I wonder it the problem is inside the Tx.. Can anyone share any thoughts on this?

Br,
Manos from Greece
Sep 14, 2017, 04:55 AM
Pity Hubsan don't do a re-design so a 7.4v 5200Mah would fit inside the battery compartment.That would solve a lot of problems.