Apr 21, 2017, 08:59 AM

transmit power of TX 4.2.24

I was wondering if anyone had seen any real measurement data showing the output power of the 2.4 GHz signal of a standard controller with firmware 4.2.24 vs. older firmware yet?

I don't have any equipment that could be used to measure the output power, but today I was flashing v4.2.19 and v4.2.24 back and forth and ran around the house with the controller (the quad was always at a fixed location inside the house) while looking at the numbers on the RSSI display and I repeatedly found that at locations where there was a fading but still existent signal with firmware 4.2.19, there was just solid "000 000" shown with firmware 4.2.24.

The frequency was always 2420 MHz according to the RSSI display.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2017, 09:01 AM
I read all the time about people wishing the manufacturer would add or remove a function. Most of these manufacturing people build it send it out to bid. Sell them and move on to a new model. There is no engineering dept. . It is not a automobile company. Why would they care if your not happy. Sold move on. They have in most cases 0nly $15 or $ 25 in profit. If they are selling a quad for $100. It has to cost them $15 to make . ( shipping, packing,middle man, shipping to buyer, )
Apr 21, 2017, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2007
I can't see that happening.
why not? isn't that a programming thing, like turning GPS on and off?
Apr 21, 2017, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laetithia
Are we talking about the advanced controller?
Yes.

Quote:
I got a windows 7 x64 ultimate running on a virtual machine. Being an happy gentoo linux administrator, windows 7 is as much as I can bear in the windows world, and windows 10 won't qualify as an OS for me. And I guarantee, it will not install the prolific drivers itself when connected to the advanced controller
A linux snob, eh?

Since I'm not running Win7, I don't know if it will auto install the driver (prolific??) or not.

FWIW, I was not aware of Win10 installing anything the first time I plugged in the advanced controller. If it did, it was completely unobtrusive.
Apr 21, 2017, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducs
I was wondering if anyone had seen any real measurement data showing the output power of the 2.4 GHz signal of a standard controller with firmware 4.2.24 vs. older firmware yet?

I don't have any equipment that could be used to measure the output power, but today I was flashing v4.2.19 and v4.2.24 back and forth and ran around the house with the controller (the quad was always at a fixed location inside the house) while looking at the numbers on the RSSI display and I repeatedly found that at locations where there was a fading but still existent signal with firmware 4.2.19, there was just solid "000 000" shown with firmware 4.2.24.

http://forum.rcdesign.ru/f135/thread468264-25.html
Apr 21, 2017, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
I read all the time about people wishing the manufacturer would add or remove a function. Most of these manufacturing people build it send it out to bid. Sell them and move on to a new model. There is no engineering dept. . It is not a automobile company. Why would they care if your not happy. Sold move on. They have in most cases 0nly $15 or $ 25 in profit. If they are selling a quad for $100. It has to cost them $15 to make . ( shipping, packing,middle man, shipping to buyer, )
There's no engineering department? You cannot design and build one without engineer's wherever they are.

Why would they care if you're not happy? If you're not happy you wouldn't buy another and you would tell potential customers not to buy one either, the last thing they want is a poor reputation.
Last edited by Andrew2007; Apr 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM.
Apr 21, 2017, 11:13 AM
I put this firmware (501s standard):
TX-4.2.24
FC-1.1.36
RX-1.2.20

I made bind and EVERY calibration.
Since I'm not able to fly today, I've put it: "Fly when no GPS: YES"

I turned on the engines in the room and raised the left throttle stick. The engines swirled faster.

Then I pulled the left throttle stick down to the end and hold it for longer than 3 seconds.
The engines were then switched off!?
I've tried several times and the engines have always been shut down.

What happens if I raise my dron to a height of 250m and pull my left throttle stick for more than 3 seconds to quickly lower it?
If the engines turn off, they will be lowered for 5 seconds and it will crash.

So, the right stick did not touch, just left the throttle back and held for more than 3 seconds.

Do you have an idea?
Apr 21, 2017, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varga Zsolt
Do you mean I should install the "Russian Hackers Edition" firmware if I need more power?

Perhaps I would if it had the same power levels as, for example, the official TX 4.2.19 & RX 1.2.17.
But if I read that correctly the "Russian Hackers Edition" firmware raises the power levels to the maximum the hardware is able to achieve.
Apr 21, 2017, 11:26 AM
Quote:

It would appear that in the newer TX-4.2.23 & 4.2.24 firmwares Hubsan has implemented a method of dynamically adjusting the 2.4Ghz channel power output. Power output can be varied in 7 steps (0-6) probably based on RSSI level. It looks like the relative power level (0-6) can be viewed in the advanced menu where you check RSSI levels. The two green single digit numbers to the left of the 2.4Ghz RSSI levels.
Apr 21, 2017, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor
TX-4.2.24
FC-1.1.36
RX-1.2.20

I turned on the engines in the room and raised the left throttle stick. The engines swirled faster.

Then I pulled the left throttle stick down to the end and hold it for longer than 3 seconds.

What happens if I raise my dron to a height of 250m and pull my left throttle stick for more than 3 seconds to quickly lower it?

So, the right stick did not touch, just left the throttle back and held for more than 3 seconds.

Do you have an idea?
Yes, this is a new feature in the newer firmware versions. I believe on the H501SS model it has been like this all along.

I assume the condition is, if the altitude of the quad doesn't decrease for 3 seconds while the throttle stick is being hold fully down, then the motors get shut off.
It seems to work reliably, although I must say I am still not a fan of this feature.
Apr 21, 2017, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGuru
It would appear that in the newer TX-4.2.23 & 4.2.24 firmwares Hubsan has implemented a method of dynamically adjusting the 2.4Ghz channel power output. Power output can be varied in 7 steps (0-6) probably based on RSSI level. It looks like the relative power level (0-6) can be viewed in the advanced menu where you check RSSI levels. The two green single digit numbers to the left of the 2.4Ghz RSSI levels.
Interesting, the two number's being TX and RX?
Apr 21, 2017, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Ok, Thanks. It might well be like you say.

When I get a chance I will upgrade my quad's RX back to 1.2.20 and then compare TX 4.2.19 and 4.2.24 again.
Apr 21, 2017, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor
TX-4.2.24
FC-1.1.36
RX-1.2.20

Do you have an idea?
This is Shally Liu reply to the question
[18/04/2017 12:23:53] Shally Liu: this been down only when the drone is on the ground
[18/04/2017 12:24:02] Shally Liu: it depend on the barometer
[18/04/2017 12:24:10] Shally Liu: if the drone fly on the Sky
[18/04/2017 12:24:12] Luca ***: It seem that it happen when flying
[18/04/2017 12:24:17] Shally Liu: it will not act like that
[18/04/2017 12:24:37] Shally Liu: I will test here tomorrow morning by myself
Apr 21, 2017, 12:41 PM
Quote:
I've just tried going to the other side of the house and the two RSSI number's fluctuate and then refuce to something like 30 yet my 0 to 6 values​ remain at 0.
Apr 21, 2017, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Ok, Thanks. It might well be like you say.

When I get a chance I will upgrade my quad's RX back to 1.2.20 and then compare TX 4.2.19 and 4.2.24 again.
Ducs - no question there is a power reduction in RX 1.2.20 and TX 1.1.9 - the OSD data stopped updating continuously at about 500 meters - and didn't update until I stopped forward motion. Also, FC 1.1.36 seems to be buggy - some strange quad behaviors at the longer distances. Definitely less stable than FC 1.1.35 and less accurate in RTH. I wish we knew what was changed between the two FC'S - Luka has to be getting them from somewhere - and he put out his new archive with no explanation of the change from .35 to .36. I flashed 1.1.35 back on to my quad and will leave things alone until we get replacement TX and RX firmware with full power, or revert to FC 1.1.22, RX 1.1.12 and TX 1.1.3 - which flew amazingly well at long ranges.