Baudis Banana build thread - RC Groups
Jul 14, 2004, 02:10 PM
silent flight

Baudis Banana build thread

I recieved my new Banana from Soar High today. It arrived first thing well packaged with loads of newpaper surrounding the vital bits, no transit damage what so ever .

The hardware which comes with the Banana is pretty basic, carbon rod, ball links, wing screws and a Banana sticker, there was no aileron control horns, servo covers or clevises, not the end of the world but it would be nice to have a complete hardware pack. I think some of these items are added by Soar High themselves so the Banana itself must come with very little.

The Banana itself is excellent quality, not a blemish in the finish and it seems very strong for very little weight.
Last edited by Mike_Y; Jul 15, 2004 at 06:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2004, 02:12 PM
silent flight
Here it is just rigged together for the pic
Jul 14, 2004, 02:14 PM
silent flight
The servos I'm using are 2 x HS125MG for the wings and 2 x HS81MG for the V-tail.
Jul 14, 2004, 02:17 PM
silent flight
I started off with the Fuselage, I marked out the hole required for the 2 x servos and removed the material with a Dremmel cut off wheel. The servos dont quite sit low enough so a thin spacer will be required. I'll epoxy a brace to the inside of the fuselage also to give the servo screws some thing to get a purchase into and to strengthen the fuse in that area.
Last edited by Mike_Y; Jul 14, 2004 at 02:20 PM.
Jul 14, 2004, 02:23 PM
silent flight
I then started on the V-tail. The ball links which were supplied were slightly too long and would have gone all the way through the V-tail surfaces so they had to be cut down.

So not to drill too far I put a piece of tape around the drill bit as a depth indicator.
Jul 14, 2004, 02:25 PM
silent flight
I then epoxied the ball links into the V-tail.

Thats as far as I have got, if anyone has some advise it would be most welcome.

Mike_Y
Last edited by Mike_Y; Jul 14, 2004 at 02:28 PM.
Jul 14, 2004, 02:37 PM
RC ADDICT

Drooooool!!!

very nice mate whilst u do that im off to paint your spitty !!!
Jul 14, 2004, 04:36 PM
silent flight
Bad news...The HS81MG servos are slightly too tall to fit in the nose cone. I'll have to get some smaller one tomorrow.

I roughened up the V-tail and fuselage surfaces ready for glueing, I used some tape (ideally masking tape but I've run out) to cover the areas close to the glued surfaces to protect them from any excess epoxy.
Jul 14, 2004, 04:37 PM
silent flight
15mins later the V-tail is on nice and secure.
Jul 14, 2004, 04:38 PM
silent flight
Turning my attention back to the other end of the fus I cut the rest of the inner nose to take the Rx and battery.
Jul 14, 2004, 04:39 PM
silent flight
You can see here that 4 x AAA 750mAh NiMH fit nicely in the nose.
Jul 14, 2004, 04:43 PM
silent flight
One last thing for today, I epoxied threaded push rods into the ends of the 2 x carbon tube pushrods ready for the servo installation tomorrow, leaving until tomorrow will let the V-tail epoxy cure properly.
Jul 14, 2004, 04:46 PM
Retired Slope Racer
I don't know if this will work, but if you cut the lugs off the 81's and set them deeper in the fuse, will the nose cone clear it?

If so, then just take a thin peice of plywood and make a top plate to hold them in snug and CA them in place to the wood. I've done this on other planes, and I recall someone (Daemon?) did this not too long ago on a MiniBlade or Blade 2M fuse building thread here on groups.

Cheers,

NW
Jul 14, 2004, 04:51 PM
silent flight
Hi Nathan, I'm afraid the servos are sat right on the bottom of the fuse and the cone just fouls the horns, I even chamfered the servo bases to get a tiny bit more clearance but still not enough. They will fit if put one in front of the other but not side by side.

Thanks

Mike_Y
Jul 14, 2004, 04:55 PM
Retired Slope Racer
Ah, the beauty of a single servo solution. Do you really need Rudder anyway?

In fact, I havn't built one of my own yet, but was thinking of putting the single elevator servo under the wing saddle (like an electric) and making nose accessible ballast tube.