Oct 12, 2015, 08:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

FTDI Programmer won't invert

I have searched everywhere and I cannot find anyone with the same issue. I have been fighting with it all night and am out of ideas, so hopefully someone can help!

I am trying to flash my Frsky receiver using a FTDI programmer that I bought here : http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

My issue is with FT-Prog. I know the first thing you have to do is plug it in, install the drivers, open up FT-Prog, and invert the tx and dx signals so it can talk to the Frsky. I can scan for it, it detects it, I check the boxes for rx and tx, I hit program, it says it programs, says finished, no errors whatsoever.

Then I plug it back in and scan it again, and nothing saved - the rx and tx are still not inverted. I tried changing other settings, but nothing takes. No error, following exactly the procedure I found in many places, and it just won't hold it.

I have tried multiple computers, multiple USB cables, and tried both manual drivers and windows update automatic drivers.

So, am I stupid? Did I get the wrong tool? What am I missing? Or is it possible I have a bad board?

Thanks so much for the help, I am completely stumped.

Edit: For future people with the same issue, we found the problem thanks to 4712 and Stray77. Turns out the "genuine" FTDI programmer I bought is a fake, and the way they keep the fake chips from being bricked by Windows is to make them read only - so you can't invert the RX/TX. I ended up using an old computer with a com port. Frustrating, but hope this helps the next person.
Last edited by Thothtp; Oct 13, 2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: found the reason, hope to help others.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2015, 11:49 PM
"Uh, Oh that ch was reversed."
I had a similar issue and it was due to me having the ground in the wrong ground

I can post my connections later tonight.
Oct 12, 2015, 11:56 PM
2 potential issues:
1 - the ftdi adapter uses a counterfeit chip.
Check the VID and PID in windows device manager (properties of device/ details tab), if PID is 0000 device is counterfeit and has been disabled.
Use MProg V3.5 to reset PID to 6001. Remove current driver and use this old driver http://pan.baidu.com/s/1gdqyuY3. Its the white button at the top (953k download)
2 - Using Mprog you must save your configuration before you can write the changes to the chip. (whether you're fixing a bricked device or inverting inputs)
Last edited by stray77; Oct 13, 2015 at 12:04 AM.
Oct 13, 2015, 12:11 AM
glad somebody posted this, cuz i have the same issue with mine. first thing i suspected was counterfeit chip. in the end i just used an old computer with a real serial port...
Oct 13, 2015, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by frissy
I had a similar issue and it was due to me having the ground in the wrong ground

I can post my connections later tonight.
I can't get it to program even without anything plugged in, just the adapter on USB. Does it have to be plugged in to the receiver to receive a program change (i.e. invert tx and rx) on the adapter itself? It doesn't seem like that would make sense, but I can't get that to stick, which means I never even get to the point of wiring up the FRsky. Though I have tried that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray77
2 potential issues:
Check the VID and PID in windows device manager (properties of device/ details tab), if PID is 0000 device is counterfeit and has been disabled.
Use MProg V3.5 to reset PID to 6001. Remove current driver and use this old driver http://pan.baidu.com/s/1gdqyuY3. Its the white button at the top (953k download)
2 - Using Mprog you must save your configuration before you can write the changes to the chip. (whether you're fixing a bricked device or inverting inputs)
First thing I checked. It is legit, Mprog sees it as 6001. Not only that, changing settings on Mprog, saving the file, and then flashing the adapter also goes through with no errors, and then doesn't stick.

Wish I still had an old computer with a serial port, I wouldn't bother with all this.
Oct 13, 2015, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
2 potential issues:

I also just tried a brand new computer and USB drive using those older drivers right off the bat. Same issue.
Oct 13, 2015, 09:02 AM
Seen this ?
Perhaps a new fake, better covered?
Last edited by 4712; Oct 15, 2015 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Link was wrong
Oct 13, 2015, 11:32 AM
Apparently checking the PID is no longer a reliable way to determine if your device is counterfeit as FTDI pulled the offending driver shortly after its release. However the OP's experience of writing changes that don't stick is indicative of a fake chip.

known bad serial: A50285BI (from https://blog.cesanta.com/ftdi-adventures)

Personally I bought another adapter with a Silabs CP2102 chipset.

Sorry for the outdated info.
Last edited by stray77; Oct 13, 2015 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Correction
Oct 13, 2015, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Well I'll be damned - yep, that is it. Apparently this "genuine" chip is a big fat fake, that is the serial number. According to that linked article the way they prevent windows from bricking it is to just make it read only, so you can't change any settings. Awesome.

How the heck do you find a real one? Are they all fake? hah.

Anyways, I found an old computer at work that was still running and had a com port, managed to flash it that way. Wonder if this fake chip will still handle MinimOSD programming?
Oct 13, 2015, 06:25 PM
The market is truely saturated with these chips. The only places I'm a little bit confident in is sparkfun as they have stated on their site they are aware of the issue and are currently unaffected.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716

Be prepared to pay a premium.

I'm glad I could help. I spent hours dealing with this issue myself, so I'm confident in saying it happens to the best of us.
Oct 13, 2015, 08:08 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Quote:
The market is truely saturated with these chips. The only places I'm a little bit confident in is sparkfun as they have stated on their site they are aware of the issue and are currently unaffected.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716

Be prepared to pay a premium.

I'm glad I could help. I spent hours dealing with this issue myself, so I'm confident in saying it happens to the best of us.
Yep, another good place for quality stuff is AdaFruit.
They have an "FTDI Friend" board that is very configurable and should do what you need.

Quick Reply