Oct 26, 2015, 03:34 PM
Thread OP
All Done!
Final dry weight- 4.8lbs- W / Battery 6 lbs even.
I had a lot of fun building the Corvus and learned a lot about electric power setups.
A great learning experience all around.
Maiden flight was Saturday morning.
Goals of the flight were to get it trimmed and get a feel for the aircraft as this was my first high performance competition level model.
Takeoff was smooth and easy.
She sure is responsive on the ailerons!
The power of the HP G-91 is just outstanding- she will accelerate hard straight up out of sight.
Roll rate is superb!
I have CG at the carbon spar and it turned out to be a bit nose heavy as I thought it might be ( but wasn't sure) as it required nose up trim.
Roll trim was perfect and needed no adjustment.
Total cost of the model and systems is close to $500 flight ready including the two batteries.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2015, 05:03 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Awesome, congrats on your maiden! I need to crash something to get some room for one more
Oct 26, 2015, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ronaldo!
Here's the maiden flight.
I took it up a second time on Sunday for another easy flight but next time out I'm going to turn up the heat

Skyline Corvus Racer 540 Maiden Flight (8 min 14 sec)
Last edited by DesolationAngels; Oct 26, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Oct 29, 2015, 10:36 AM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Very nice! That was the smoothest take off I've seen.
I'm a 3D addicted but I hear so many people (including 3D guys) talking about how rewarding IMAC is that I'm seriously considering to give it a try too.
Your thread is inspiring me to build my Corvus 30cc, maybe I'll start next week as I'll be on vacations.
BTW, really nice flying site, I wish I had something like that. The only similar place I have is very far and only flyable during week days as it gets crowded during weekends (bikes, skates, runners, etc)
Oct 29, 2015, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ronaldo!
I am beyond impressed with your flying skills that I've seen from your videos!
Awesome!

I have the Skyline 30C 75" MXS-R bird I'm preparing to build.
I'm just kind of looking at it and researching motors, servos and lipo setups.

Have you seen the new Tomcat G30 motor made especially for 30cc sized birds?
http://www.tomcat-motor.com/Products_view.asp?id=358
They also make at 160 motor that looks interesting at half the price:
http://www.tomcat-motor.com/Products_view.asp?id=243
Also looking at the Rimfire 160.

Not much info available on these Tomcat motors but by all accounts they appear to be of high quality.
I've contacted Redwing about the G30 and I'm waiting for a reply.
Last edited by DesolationAngels; Oct 29, 2015 at 03:22 PM.
Oct 29, 2015, 04:42 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thanks man, I've been been flying for almost 2 years now and I'm still a newbie with a lot to learn. My flights are still very disorganized, I need to start planning routines and flying smooth straight lines between maneuvers.
I love my MXS-R 60" but the 30cc should be even better.
The Tomcat motors look really nice and if RedwingRC sells them I doubt it is below top quality.
For the Corvus my setup will be an EMP 6364 230kV on 10S (2X5S 3300).
If I build mine before yours I'll let you know how this power system worked out.
Oct 29, 2015, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Well your flying is excellent! I'v only been at the RC game since June.
Sure is an addictive thing..

That EMP 6364 looks a lot like the Hobby People G91 in my Corvus. I think I now know who makes motors for HP!

Will you be running your batteries parallel for power or in series for flight times?
Why 3300's? Weight considerations for 3D?

I was considering twin 4000+ 5s in series for long flight times because in IMAC you have to complete two flights without changing batteries and the IMAC flying I think I'll be ok with the added weight which will also help somewhat if it's windy.

"My flights are still very disorganized,"
I can relate.. seems every time I go up with a plan I get distracted doing something else.
right now I'm just trying to complete a maneuver and keep the wings level and start and end the maneuver at the same altitude.
practice, practice practice.
Oct 30, 2015, 08:30 AM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Yes, they look similar except for the weight which is more than double
I'll be running it in series (10S), the kV is just too low for 5S and even a higher kV motor would not be feasible as it would require extremely high currents to achieve the same power.
I'm using 3300mAh to keep it light and because I already have 6 batteries which are currently used on my Slick 540 55". It should give me around 6min of a mix of 3D/ high speed stuff which is just perfect.
I choose battery capacity to allow around 6min of mixed flight, if I can fly longer it means I'm adding unnecessary weight to the plane.
Last edited by ronaldopn; Nov 30, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Oct 30, 2015, 08:39 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Sir!
Oct 30, 2015, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
These motors we're using also look very similar to Tacon motors:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m608-big...335-245kv.html

As I'm getting into this stuff ( probably old hat to most here) I find this interesting.
Check this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brus...-brands-3.html
Nov 03, 2015, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
On the third testing and trimming flight of the Corvus we heard a loud pop that came from somewhere in the airframe at 4:20 in the video.
Landed immediately.
A quick once over at the airfield revealed nothing unusual, all systems were working properly and everything seemed to be secure and strong.
I have the aircraft taken apart and I'm investigating the cause.
So far I've found nothing that could have caused the pop. All glue joints in the wing roots, tube sleeve and related structure are secure as is the fuselage. Going to to do a more in depth investigation on everything as time allows over the next few days.
It was a really good pop so something somewhere under tension or stress let go. Rudder cables look to be secure too.
Wings are stiff with no flex from breakage.

Has anyone here heard or seen anything like this before? Thoughts on what to look at or for?

Skyline Corvus Airframe Pop (0 min 21 sec)
Nov 03, 2015, 05:53 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
I doubt it was the airframe my friend, something electric I guess, the plane was already flying leveled.
Once I heard a balsa breaking noise right after doing a wall with my Yak-54. It is a very violent maneuver which causes a huge pressure in the wings, the sound is completely different.
Check your motor, wires and ESC timing. Blip the throttle quickly (0-100%) and check for weird noises.
Nov 03, 2015, 06:03 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngels
...we heard a loud pop that came from somewhere in the airframe...Has anyone here heard or seen anything like this before? Thoughts on what to look at for?
No more than you've already mentioned.

That was loud, indeed. Sure, I've heard some pops such as that, but they always resulted in the plane coming down very hard.

Seems like it had to be some non-critical glue joint, one would think. Good luck finding it.

Nice work on the plane, by the way.
Last edited by Depronicus; Nov 03, 2015 at 06:10 PM.
Nov 03, 2015, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the suggestions fellas and thanks you for the compliment Depronicus!
Last edited by DesolationAngels; Nov 03, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Nov 03, 2015, 09:10 PM
Altitude is my friend...
That 600 Kv HP G-91 motor is interesting. I have an Aeolian equivalent that I ran in my EF Laser 60 for a little while until I was advised that it could possibly come apart in flight. The G-91 looks like a more substantial design, so it shouldn't be a problem. (That old Dealmetic link is defunct, by the way, and according to this, the motor is history.)

Heads Up Hobby has a 580 Kv motor that they say is okay for 6-cell power. They're only claiming 1250 watts, but I'll bet it's good for a lot more. I got 1850 on the Aeolian, and the Firepower 60 should do about the same. If one were to give the Heads Up motor a try, you would definitely want to get an 8mm prop adapter for it. The 6mm adapter it comes with would be easy to snap, for sure.

As I said in the Laser thread, these 600 Kv motors really spin the props up on 6S power. The big Laser was a jet with it. It looks like your Corvus is very fast with the G-91.
Last edited by Depronicus; Nov 03, 2015 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply