F16A block 15 90mm Composite EDF - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 14, 2004, 10:46 AM
Build Log

F16A block 15 90mm Composite EDF

Previous build thread

Well the old thread was very long and for some reason I was having trouble posting any images to that thread so here is a new thread with the link above to the previous one. I will add a link to this one in the previous thread also.

This project was originally intended to be an F16C but once I made the plug for the vertical stab and started to lay out the raised panels I realized that the stab base was too short due to the fact that the drawing I used for the stab was from the F15A. So I switched the raised panel layout to the F16A block 15 layout. This is the reason for the designation change.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2004, 11:02 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
Ted most people wouldn't know the difference.

A new thread is a good idea.
Jul 14, 2004, 11:13 AM

Bottom Lex

I decided to do away with the ply LEX template all together and to only use it as a guide. I put the tape down in several layers and then cut the new LEX shape using the ply template that registers on the trailing edge of the wing step. I am making the fillet with the same resin and cabosil with black pigment that I used to make the bottom plug. I am adding it in layers and shaping it in between layers with a dremel and some diamond bits of various shapes and sizes. The bottom LEX is concave from the front back to around the intake scoop where it flattens out and blends to the leading edge. I am working slowly trying to create the correct contours and make both sides match each other. As I add the layers I peel off a layer of the tape. This leaves me with a clean line similar to painting and keeps the leading edge well defined and consistant without too much work.

Here is a recent pic.
Jul 14, 2004, 01:21 PM
Coming along nicely....
Jul 14, 2004, 03:22 PM
smug in granny panties
yeah! looks great Ted!

Barry
Jul 14, 2004, 04:34 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
Yes, it is looking good Ted.
Jul 16, 2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys. I am hoping to finish the LEX'S and maybe get started on some of the molding this weekend. Slow and steady I guess.

Ted
Jul 16, 2004, 10:05 PM
Good save Ted. Now gets some flying in would ya!

Steve
Jul 16, 2004, 10:16 PM

flying

I picked up a mega brushless for the Projeti in the shop but seem to have misplaced it. DOH! a bunch of guys fly electrics at a school about a mile from my house on Sunday mornings. Beats having to go 10 miles to the nearest field.
Jul 16, 2004, 10:33 PM
Wow.... ur school is big enough to fly a large 90 mm jet.... lucky......... is it a high school or something?

btw ... this is a dumb question but how do you take a plug and actually make a glass fuselage out of it... ? Don't u need a mold ... or something....
Jul 16, 2004, 11:01 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
If it's the one I've been to, then no, it's not big enough for 90mm jets. Ted said he was going to fly the Projeti.

Ted, the one with the big-o fence (driving range I think) at the end?

Steve C
Jul 17, 2004, 12:10 AM
Steve, Yep that is the one. Mostly slow sticks and the like there on Sunday though. I have not been flying much at all so figured I would finish the Projeti and fly it there rather than drive to the field with the bigger planes. I don't know what I could have done with that Mega! I probably put it somplace when I would not lose it!

No it is not even close to big enough for a 90mm jet. I wish it was.

Ted
Jul 17, 2004, 12:45 AM
Ted's worktable and "shop" are so convoluted and clutered sometimes that they could use it as the set of the next Indiania Jones movie, "Indiana Jones and the search for the Mega 5 turn". He he he, all workshops get messed up eventually, mines a mess right now!
Jul 18, 2004, 06:14 PM
Yep seems like the shop is ALWAYS destroyed. Makes me crazy. Have to stop and clean several times during every project. I know it is easier to clean as you go.

Almost done with the LEX mods now.
Last edited by TGoodwin; Jul 14, 2007 at 11:11 AM.
Jul 18, 2004, 06:16 PM
Wow!!!!

Steve