Oct 12, 2015, 02:38 PM
supplicanti non utor vestibulu
Discussion

DJI Inspire 1 - fixing the Center Section (landing gear motor)

Attached is something from me on how to check and fix the "Inspire center frame component". This part can fail or jam up due to hard landings and rashes. If this happens, the landing gear does not move, nor can it be screwed up or down with a screwdriver.

If it is deemed useful, maybe a blog would be one way to go with repair stories.
Last edited by Pacem_Lumine; Oct 13, 2015 at 09:43 AM. Reason: version
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2015, 07:58 PM
supplicanti non utor vestibulu
I should add that this little repair note is presented for academic interest only and is not for the average Inspire owner to do because of the expense of the aircraft itself, having to disassemble the aircraft, and the risk of damage or improper alignment during aircraft reassembly rendering it unstable or unsafe. Neither myself nor RDM Drones will be responsible for others' actions.

I've started a blog here, well, in the blog area. Nothing special but each time I do an interesting repair or have to clear up something for myself, I may post the information or about the learning experience there.
Last edited by Pacem_Lumine; Dec 16, 2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: updated blog with this.
Feb 15, 2018, 02:07 AM
GrahamMorris

Inspire 1 landing gear issue

I have had to remove the landing gear servo motor on my Inspire 1 as the brass spur gear came loose on the motor shaft. I could hear the motor turning to try and raise/lower the landing gear but it didn't move without a bit of external pressure on the arms to help it. Since repairing it, it now jams at the end of the worm travel. We know that the travel mode finds its position from the sonar unit, but does anyone know how the servo drive finds the up and down end points? I cannot see anything that would detect these points and sonar would not do this in flight of course. Could it be just the number of motor revolutions from travel mode position? That seems unlikely. I am going to power it up with the servo motor hanging on its cable and wind the gear up and down manually on the worm screw thread and see if the motor stops when I get near the end of the thread! I know that other users have had the motor gear come loose on the shaft. It looks as if it is just a push fit but it wasn't even tight, made even looser presumably by the motor shaft turning inside the gear while I figured out why the landing gear wasn't moving! Any thoughts welcome.
Your pictures and notes were very helpful thanks.
Last edited by grahammorris; Feb 19, 2018 at 05:27 PM.
Mar 27, 2018, 02:34 AM
It seems like more and more people is starting to have this problem, after storing my inspire 1 for 4 months, i've taken it out to fly and am experiencing the exact same problem also people at the dji site: https://forum.dji.com/thread-115591-1-1.html

Is the gear mechanism and sensors of the inspire 2 the same as the inspire 1 ?

It seems even the new dji inspire 2 is having a similiar problem:

https://inspirepilots.com/threads/la...pack-up.18341/

Does anyone PLEASE know how to fix this ?
Last edited by Axefly; Mar 28, 2018 at 01:14 PM.
Mar 27, 2018, 03:50 PM
GrahamMorris
I don't know about the Inspire 2 but I am very sure that the landing gear 'up' and 'down' positions are sensed by the increase in motor current drawn when the worm mechanism reaches either end point. The travel mode position is found by the sonar sensor which is why it needs to be on a hard surface to do do this. If the gear on the motor has come loose like mine, and you can hear the motor running, then that is the problem. It probably means a new centre frame which will hopefully have the spur gear attached more tightly to the motor! I am still working on fixing my servo but it is not easy.
Mar 28, 2018, 01:18 PM
Hi Graham

If you read one of the inspire 2 links i posted above they talk about the inspire two having more than 1 sensor and an adjustable travel mechanism i assume something like a trim to adjust the travel.

But i assume you have not seen any such trim buttons or sensors on the inspire 1 servo/landing gear mechanasim as on the inspire 2.

Please can you keep this post updated i really would like to see you get it fixed.

What is now wrong with your motor ?

400 for a repair will literally bankrupt me.

I assume if i take it apart i will completly break the screw heads ?

How do i take the servo mechanism out of the frame, is it those 2 big hex bolts that needs to be loosened ?
Last edited by Axefly; Mar 28, 2018 at 01:24 PM.
Mar 29, 2018, 05:45 AM
Hi Graham,

Could the post by repaid 1 perhaps be of assistance to you ?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...m#post39400454
Mar 31, 2018, 02:07 AM
GrahamMorris
I have just finished typing a very long reply but when I pressed submit, it said it was timed out and it is all lost. I will do it again at some point soon.
Apr 13, 2018, 06:37 AM
Hi Graham pleaaaase can you type the response again ???

The repair is insanely expensive at the shop.

(open a txt file and type your reply in there then paste it into the rcg box when done)

It is so frustrating when it just disappears i know !
Apr 16, 2018, 02:01 AM
Can the servo be removed by these 2 bolts ?
Apr 16, 2018, 09:37 AM
bump
Apr 17, 2018, 03:54 AM
Aaah Sorted thx anyway
Aug 01, 2018, 03:51 PM
Electric Power Hobby
Question, is it a continuos rotation servo ? or is it a several fixed turns servo? I mean what stop the servo rotation ? are any limit sensor located in the arms or frame ?

I have trouble with elevator jams on the limits, servo never stop in neither direction.

Quick Reply