Oct 12, 2015, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking to take the next step after WL 911

Title pretty much says it all. Let me start off by saying I am still pretty much a rank beginner at RC rotary wing flying. Most of my stick time has been with 250 size multirotors, an RTF, folowed by a kit build and now several scratch builds. I am a lot better builder than flyer so far which is why I have resorted to flying scratch build wooden frames which are easy and cheap to repair.

The wife recently bought us a pair of WL Toys 911's one for me and one for her. She lost interest fairly quickly but I found them pretty easy to fly after the 250 multi rotors.

What I am looking for now is something I can fly in my backyard and not be quite so much at the mercy of the wind and perhaps even a 6 channel for a bit more of a challange. The backyard has a lot of tree hazards ( 2 huge live oaks and a low canopy) as well as a couple of buildings. 250 class would probably be largest I want to go with at this time and even that might be a bit much. Something I can use a Tactic 6 channel receiver in would be a bonus and a kit build would be considered although I would prefer a BNF or RTF
Any and all suggestions welcome
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2015, 07:50 AM
Thread OP
Judging from the lack of responses I guess I did not ask this question correctly. It have narrowed it down to either the Trex 250, Blade 250, and Ares 300 in that order on my own and if anyone has any input on these three I would be happy to have it.

On the Trex 250 , it appears that any 6 channel receiver/radio will work, either PPM or PWM. Am I correct in that ?
Last edited by hound53; Oct 13, 2015 at 08:01 AM.
Oct 13, 2015, 10:28 PM
Cranky old fart
1. Use of Tactic radio gear really limits response. It isn't popular and it's capabilities, compatability, ease of use and general quality are not well known.

2. A Trex 250 (or most other 250 kits are difficult to fly and very fussy to setup.

3. Your skill level is very difficult to ascertain. A 250 size quad that's setup for stunt and acrobatics, that does flips and everything is much closer to flying a 6 channel heli, than a quad that self-levels and has all of the flight assists.

4. Flying a V911 is not a good indication of skill. It's a rank beginner model that most people can master in less than an hour.

Based on what I know about you and your equipment, I would have no idea what to recommend.
Oct 14, 2015, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
I understand. I suppose I should have just stated something like advanced beginner/intermediate flyer looking for a good back yard flyer with which to advance his skills

I think I have it narrowed down to a few models now, and sort of regret even making this thread since it is so hard to recommend products to someone else because really when it comes down to it the only one who really knows what I am looking for in a new toy is me. Oh on the Tactic radio was whether the Trex needs a PPM controller or will it accept PWM or PPM. I found the manual online and it looks like it will work with any 6 channel receiver. I read dozens of reviews yesterday and the

Ares Optim 300
Blade 200 SR X
WL Toys 977
Trex 150

have all made the shortlist, although I will probably research through the end of the month before making a decision. I have 3 other projects I want to finish up first. Even a old retired guy only has so many hours in the day
Last edited by hound53; Oct 14, 2015 at 10:14 AM.
Oct 14, 2015, 10:03 PM
Cranky old fart
Now we are getting somewhere. Age is a huge factor in how easily you can learn; also in how much effort you are willing to expend. If you are an "old retired guy", the Blade 200 SRX is a very good choice. I am 72 and have flown most everything over the years. I have owned several of the Trex 250 style models and they just are not a lot of fun to fly. Their capabilities far exceed mine and it's easy to make a mistake. A mistake with small components and 4000 rpm headspeed usually results in lots of damage. I can fly them fine and I rarely crash, but there are less challenging models that don't take the same level of concentration.

I am a big fan of Blade models. Parts availability and model longevity mean I maximize flight opportunities. Their control boards are really nice, very versatile and well thought out. But, I also own a few WL toys models. They aren't great handling, but for the money, they are cheap fun you don't have to be to concerned about breaking.
Oct 14, 2015, 10:19 PM
rc user
if you want to take baby steps and not spend much, the FX071C is a decent flybarless 4ch bird. more toy than hobby grade but fun to fly and very durable.
i mainly fly CP but still keep the FX around for stress free flying. it also does pretty well outside.
Oct 15, 2015, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
I am a big fan of Blade models. Parts availability and model longevity mean I maximize flight opportunities. Their control boards are really nice, very versatile and well thought out. But, I also own a few WL toys models. They aren't great handling, but for the money, they are cheap fun you don't have to be to concerned about breaking.
my first quad was a Blade Nano, I bet I crashed that thing 100 times before I had 10 batteries through it so yeah the Blade 200 keeps catching my eye
Oct 15, 2015, 08:57 PM
rc user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound53
my first quad was a Blade Nano, I bet I crashed that thing 100 times before I had 10 batteries through it so yeah the Blade 200 keeps catching my eye
that will get expensive if you are still crashing
Oct 16, 2015, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
that will get expensive if you are still crashing
have not flown the Nano in months, I prefer a Hubsan for back yard stuff now and rarely if ever crash it. I still crash my 250 quad when I go off autolevel if I am not in FPV mode. For some reason I find FPV easier to make corrections when in full manual. I have to admit I still prefer Horizon mode if I am flying with my Naze controller, but still try and do one battery in manual each trip to the field.

I have been flying some one of my multis almost every day for an a half hour to a hours worth of stick time now for about 4 months and improving little by little. Mostly the micros in the backyard due to tree/space limitations but I try and get out to a flying field once a week to play with my 250. Should have a simple copter based tri finished today. i am building that one simple and tough with no FPV just for learning acrobatics and will be using a CC3D controller. I do expect to crash several hundred times with it and have a hefty supply of 5 x 3 props on hand

Like I said the 911 is no challenge at all so it is time to push myself to the next level on single rotor and am shopping for the right copter to do so. I do expect to crash a few times so durability and ease/cost of repair is a major factor.

The Blade 200 is leading right now since I can buy one locally and the repair parts are relatively inexpensive. I also like the 3 flight modes which will allow me to progress as I gain skill and maintain a good comfort level. Anyway been looking for a excuse to buy a DX6i so this would be a good time
Last edited by hound53; Oct 16, 2015 at 08:54 AM.
Oct 16, 2015, 08:59 AM
rc user
looks like the blade 200 is for you. pull the trigger!
Oct 16, 2015, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
looks like the blade 200 is for you. pull the trigger!
pretty much decided that also, gonna get that tricopter in the air today or tomorrow, then I am doing a foamie flying wing build using Brooklyn Aerodrome's Towel plan, then the Blade 200. Love this hobby! but only so much time and money
Oct 21, 2015, 03:42 PM
Please call me Dana
Sounds like you have made a good decision for you!

I have more projects waiting than I do time and motivation to do. I have a couple of FPV projects, a scratch built Spitfire from FliteTest and FPV Bonsai wing from Hobby King.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new craft once it arrives and that crashes are gentle.
Oct 21, 2015, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteel
Sounds like you have made a good decision for you!

I have more projects waiting than I do time and motivation to do. I have a couple of FPV projects, a scratch built Spitfire from FliteTest and FPV Bonsai wing from Hobby King.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new craft once it arrives and that crashes are gentle.
Thanks, I pulled the trigger last week on a used BNF on Ebay last week and it arrived today. Visually at least it appears brand new. Have to wait on a dongle to get here now so I can upgrade my Deviation 7 to test it's electrics. Still it was half the cost of new and came with 4 batteries so I think I did well.

Already been eyeing some up grades for next month. Some aftermarket CNC to replace the plastic and a couple of mods to increase reliability. I have a feeling this one will get some serious backyard/corner park time

On projects just finished a Brooklyn Aerodrome style foamboard wing today and will take it to the club to attempt to destroy it tommorrow
Oct 25, 2015, 06:08 AM
Thread OP
Quick update - Flew the Blade 200 yesterday first time and love it. Perfect backyard size, really well behaved bird. Ran 3 batteries through it and flew it in beginner and intermediate mode. Thanks to all for the advice

Quick Reply