New Products Flash Sale

Eagle Tree Antenna Tracker Tutorial - RCGroups FPV Video Review

The Eagle Tree Vector has an antenna tracker function that takes the headache out of pointing long range antennas at a moving target. We explain how to set it up properly!

Splash

Hands-Free Antenna Tracking, Near or Far

Eagle Tree is well known for the Vector flight controller; it hosts a number of usable functions, including the ability to point an antenna on the ground at the aircraft in flight. Paired with the Eagle Eyes FPV Station, the Vector's antenna tracking function is an easy-to-setup option for keeping those high-gain long range antennas fixed on the target, whether near or far.

In this video tutorial, we'll go over how to set it up properly. In order to track an aircraft, you'll need an Eagle Tree Vector flight controller or OSD Pro, a suitable pan and tilt tracker such as the one from ReadyMadeRC, and a directional ground antenna such as the Dragonlink - FPV Pro Yagi. Setup is quite easy, and once calibration is done, there's very little to do every time you go to the field for a flight.

The Video Tutorial

Eagle Tree Antenna Tracker Tutorial - RCGroups FPV Video Review (9 min 57 sec)

Links:

Eagle Tree Vector Flight Controller

Eagle Tree Eagle Eyes FPV Station

Dragonlink - FPV Pro 1.2 Yagi Antenna

Dragonlink - FPV Pro 1.2GHZ Linear Dipole Antenna

ReadyMadeRC Pan/Tilt Antenna Tracker

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Oct 12, 2015 at 12:21 PM..
Old Oct 12, 2015, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by baddb1
I'd rather be flying
Perfect timing. My RMRC tracker kit should be here in a few days! Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by quadcopter007fpv
seriously , i just made a quick DIY Antenna tracker setup on the 180 tilt function with 90 pan and started testing this , looking good so far

not sure if you mentioned it but the the recorded home position is where the tracker calculates its angels ect for tracking , its important to set the home position as close to the tracker as poss for best tracking results, some of my first tests i would set my multi rotor out on the runway and record that as the home position when i was doing some hovering around home the tracker was acting like it was on the wrong side of the model untill i went about 400 ft away from the home position

Awesome video guys , glad to see some interest in this
20151011 121514 (1 min 27 sec)

20151011 121250 (1 min 1 sec)
Last edited by quadcopter007fpv; Oct 12, 2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Arck
I land with enthusiasm
Great idea for the Yagui, where we can find the antenna pod for the tracker? or EA is now selling with that.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:27 PM
Find More Posts by wkf94025
Thanks Matt. Fun to watch. Can you give us a sense for total cost of the system, assuming starting point is a Vector + DL equipped aircraft?

Kelly
Old Oct 20, 2015, 05:06 AM
Find More Posts by Chris_Berlin
Hi.Great videos.Any chance to get the setup details from the Z3?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Berlin View Post
Hi.Great videos.Any chance to get the setup details from the Z3?
Z3 with the Ritewing Secret Sauce motor/esc combo on 4s 5000.
1.2GHz video, Dragonlink control.
Administrator
Old Oct 27, 2015, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by wingman112
I have been having trouble getting my antenna to follow my plane when I was trying to set it up. I have the eagleeye for 3 years or more. The direction are not very clear. I've tried this set up with the OSD PRO and now with the Vector and no go. I think Eagle Tree needs to make their products easier to setup like the vector and MFD AAT setup. Thanks Matt! This video was very helpful...wish I had found this video about 4 years ago.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 09:45 PM
you probably didnt set the compass in the setup , also where you set the home pos is where the tracker thinks it is

where i have 290 , set that to the compass heading that is your middle point of the pan . and obviously it is set to what compass heading your tracker is facing, if you do exactly north then set it to 0

i use a cell phone app to find compass heading

and if you go to the same place to fly and always have your tracker facing the same posision then you dont need to change this nuber every time,

your vector has an arrow on it , your gps also has an arrow on it , if you have the compass calibrated and your using it the option using model locatin , it will pull the compass heading from the model so put your tracker at the center point on the pan "force tracker to hold pos" "0" "0" and point the model in the same direction many ways of doing it
Last edited by quadcopter007fpv; Oct 27, 2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 04:44 AM
Find More Posts by Genetics101
"TRUTH" , the new hate speech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcopter007fpv View Post
you probably didnt set the compass in the setup , also where you set the home pos is where the tracker thinks it is

where i have 290 , set that to the compass heading that is your middle point of the pan . and obviously it is set to what compass heading your tracker is facing, if you do exactly north then set it to 0

i use a cell phone app to find compass heading

and if you go to the same place to fly and always have your tracker facing the same posision then you dont need to change this nuber every time,

your vector has an arrow on it , your gps also has an arrow on it , if you have the compass calibrated and your using it the option using model locatin , it will pull the compass heading from the model so put your tracker at the center point on the pan "force tracker to hold pos" "0" "0" and point the model in the same direction many ways of doing it
What do I need to do if adding another aircraft with a vector? Do I need to go through the entire calibration procedure?

Instructions are really very vague & frustrating to no end- thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman112 View Post
I have been having trouble getting my antenna to follow my plane when I was trying to set it up. I have the eagleeye for 3 years or more. The direction are not very clear. I've tried this set up with the OSD PRO and now with the Vector and no go. I think Eagle Tree needs to make their products easier to setup like the vector and MFD AAT setup. Thanks Matt! This video was very helpful...wish I had found this video about 4 years ago.
I agree 100%! I know a couple other folks that have had nothing but problems with understanding the manual too. It's very vague & missing details.
I doubt it'll ever happen but ET needs to completely revamp their manual for the Eagletree eagle eyes. I don't how many folks (including myself) plugged the micro USB into the eagle eyes box & tried calibrating it (obviously with no success), it took several hours & re-reading the manual to realize the vector FC calibrates the eagle eyes "REMOTELY".
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics101 View Post
What do I need to do if adding another aircraft with a vector? Do I need to go through the entire calibration procedure?

Instructions are really very vague & frustrating to no end- thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
it needs calibration for each model, once done the model tells the eagle eyes the servo end points , the just make sure your compass heading is set correctly , in my last description it explains the compass heading

but once each vector has calibrated the tracker , it should work from now on with models that have the calibration done
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcopter007fpv View Post
it needs calibration for each model, once done the model tells the eagle eyes the servo end points , the just make sure your compass heading is set correctly , in my last description it explains the compass heading

but once each vector has calibrated the tracker , it should work from now on with models that have the calibration done
Last question .

I'm setting up a new platform with a vector, do I need to do the calibration through the laptop?
When I tried it wouldn't let me do it a second time around. The telemetry light (on the eagle eyes box) is supposed to flash when you click the "calibrate tracker" tab but it won't do it.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:23 AM
i dont mess with calibrating the eagle eyes from the vector software, it never worked for me , regardless the situation , and i bought a 3rd vector just for testing , eventually ill put it on a quad i dont care about and do lots of testing with the rth speeds descents , hopefully way points

i digress.
the way i understand it is the vector commands the tracker/eagle eyes , and all the settings , alarms , diversity, tracking config are all easily set from the osd in less time then it takes to take out the lap top and load it all up, and once its done regardless of where you fly and what way your tracker is pointed just use your smart phone and find the "relative" compass heading and set the zero heading section , or if you fly at the same place like i do then no changes need to be made, i have 2 places i fly and one i face 165 compass heading , and the other i face 300 , so i just know to put that number in the zero compass setting , set my home pos by my tracker and go fly
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by wingman112
I would like or hope Eagle Tree will listen my rants & others.... We love the vector b/c you have made it super easy to setup and less of a headache than the OSD Pro.

Would you please update the Eagle Eye with Automatic Antenna Tracking System and Automatic Calibration/manual calibration for the experts like MFD. Less wiring would be great too and also use of bluetooth/wifi for wireless access to phone/tablet/computer.

BTW: Thank you quadcopter007fpv! So far you're our expert on this thread.