This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 12, 2015, 07:14 AM
Thread OP
Careful!

thermals are addictive

well, after the most enjoyable time when i catched great thermals, i found my plane again into another situation where it drifted through a wave for some time and then decided to stay at the point where the lift was strongest. it drifted with the wind so brought it back and catched another thermal and drifted again. started at 200 meters and climbed to 330, so decided it was enough and began a return and descent. all seemed ok, but when it was near the field at 180 meters high it stopped sending signals from the vario. it was not beyond the range, but didn't know what that could mean at the time. as i was lying flat on my back through all this time i decided to stand up for the approach and landing, so i stood up and when i looked back at the plane it was nowhere to be seen. it was about 10 seconds. gone. in clear sky. i think it dove vertical, as when you turn off the radio by mistake. the vario is supposed to send a warning of low batteries, but i didn't hear it. not only that, it also had a low volt warning that vibrates, and it saved my plane last time, but i didn't feel it this time. later realized it had been in the air for 45 minutes. the other day when i almost lost it, it did 35 minutes.
>>>>An update: nov 14, 2016: after reading the manual again, i noticed this:
it really tells when the battery in the plane-or the battery in the receiver-is low by saying this:
“Battery Low”
Radio control receiver voltage is critically low, land immediately!
“Power Low”
The Wireless Copilot receiver batteries are low and need replacing.

conclusions:
1.-what i learned from all this is that thermalling is addictive: you get dizzy catching and staying in a thermal and loose sense of the time spent, and just want to stay there. it is especially critical if you fly alone.
2.-it is also convenient to set a timer or have some1 reminding you of the time the plane has been flying (of course if your radio can keep track of the flight time that would be great);
3.-in my case i think i just didn't hear the warnings, as there were guys with very noisy engines very close to me. that is something i will avoid at all cost in the future.
4.-if it happens again that the vario stops sending signals, i should bring the plane in a dive and see if there is still power to land, but at least if the radio dies the plane will fall closer to the field.
5.-if i had problems with a flight of 35 minutes, that means that i should not even reach that mark with the same equipment again.
so there you have it. at least this experience tells me that this can be avoided in the future. and also hope it could be of some use to any1 out there. after all, falling happens. what matters is that you stand after each fall (but try to learn from your mistakes, so you don't make the same again).
Last edited by phil alvirez; Nov 21, 2016 at 11:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2015, 11:00 AM
That thing almost hit me
Tru one of these...
http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo..._Backup_Guard/
Oct 12, 2015, 01:00 PM
Thread OP

not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
but it does not tell when it started so is the same situation. and i was using the vibrator from hobby king: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...15Mhz_FM_.html that tells when the pack is running low.
thanks anyway
and how do you download the manual so i can learn more about it? i couldn't. it says: 'error something'.
edit:
well, i managed to get the manual and will read it. but seems that the product is intended for different purpose.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 12, 2015 at 06:37 PM.
Oct 13, 2015, 01:20 PM
Thread OP

thread

started a thread here about the subject:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2521471

please join us there.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 13, 2015 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply