Oct 11, 2015, 04:29 AM
Build Log

Ivan Pettigrew Pearse 370

O.K, I know I should be using this build time to finish another Ivan design I started some months back but I just couldn't help myself when the Pearse plans suddenly un rolled themselves on the bench.
While the " other build " sits patiently in a corner waiting my attention its resultant pile of left overs were just begging for another use. With it's minimalistic design Ivan's Pearse 370 flyer is a perfect candidate for using up left over balsa and bits..
To satisfy my curiosty I'm building this one with the spoiler option instead of ailerons.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2015, 12:58 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
I thought the spoilers were bedroom windows...got the scale wrong!

Best of for the model - I've seen Ivan outside looping his (admittedly the battery detached, fell through the prop, burst into flames and caused a lot of amusement). If only Richard P had access to a decent engine - what might have been....
Oct 11, 2015, 02:17 PM
Senile Member
duplicate post
Last edited by Lnagel; Oct 11, 2015 at 02:36 PM.
Oct 11, 2015, 02:32 PM
Senile Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
If only Richard P had access to a decent engine - what might have been....
The Wright brothers didn't have access to a decent engine so they built their own. Richard P could have done the same. I guess that's what separates the men from the boys.

Back on topic, Max, I was not familiar with this airplane until you started this thread. It will be very interesting to see how it flies.

Larry
Oct 11, 2015, 02:36 PM
Richerd P did build his own engine (I just looked it up) and pretty ingenious it was as well. I expect that this model will fly quite well. You may find the elevator quite sensitive. Looks like you are almost ready to fly, good luck!
Oct 12, 2015, 03:26 AM
Ah the good old Pearse versus Wright debate, not the intent of this thread but never the less a facinating topic.
Yes, Pearse did build his own engine, several in fact, the remains of which are in a local museum here in Auckland. There's no argument that his design achieved powered flight, the debate surrounds the actual date of the event, pre or post Wright Brothers ?.
Irrespective of that debate Richard Pearse was a man ahead of time who truly deserves recognition for his pioneering achievements in the pages of early aviation history.

O.k time to get back on topic.
Those who've done the home work will immediately see this is not a scale replica, it's a fun flyer designed by Ivan Pettigrew as a tribute to Richard Pearse. Yep, as Mike said this quirky little beast should be a hoot to fly and you can bet no one else at the park's got one.
Oct 13, 2015, 08:35 AM
Kia Ora! I was just over at Mike's field in the UK last week and saw Trevor Hewson flying the original prototype of the model which Ivan left behind on a previous visit. It was flying quite well, but the battery pack decided to pack up so only one short flight was possible. I managed to snap a few quick photos.
Oct 14, 2015, 03:39 AM
Cheers, their good shots. Ivan will be pleased to see the original's still flying.
Has that one got a full set of under cambered ribs or is it just the outboard rib ?
Oct 14, 2015, 08:42 AM
I don't know. Maybe Trevor can chime in.
Oct 14, 2015, 09:05 AM
If you try to fly fast - on a windy day to come up-wind, say - will it suddenly nose-dive?
Oct 14, 2015, 09:56 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
The one in Frank's post is the third version built by Ivan - he brought it as a kit of parts to the BIMBO meeting here in the UK in 2011 and he and Hal Norrish (on the right) built it in Trevor's living room on the evening they arrived. It was flown the next day and did OK until Ivan said "let's see if it will spin" with the results you see in the final picture, after which it was left in Trevor's capable hands.

He has since restored it and it has made many flights at Strawberry Field. It enjoys calm weather best, naturally, and finds our grass a challenge when taking off. I'm sure he has the tech details to hand.

As I recall, the wing is from one of those GWS indoor stick-type models, hence the red colour and sharp undercamber.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Oct 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM.
Oct 15, 2015, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPFJ
If you try to fly fast - on a windy day to come up-wind, say - will it suddenly nose-dive?
Probably not, but I bet it will do a nice impersonation of a helicopter.
Oct 15, 2015, 02:19 AM
Thanks Mike, an indoor foamy wing explains the under camber.

When you don't have an expensive computer modelling the flight envelope of your designs then there's only one way to test the limits, two thumbs up for Ivan's test flight regime.
Last edited by Maxedout; Oct 15, 2015 at 04:00 AM.
Oct 26, 2015, 03:38 AM
My weekend was free so it was back to the project.

Mounting the motor, ESC, elevator and rudder servos took more time than I expected so by the time I was ready for covering most of the weekend had vanished.

I chose cream Solarfilm Solite for the covering, unfortunately it was more yellow than I was expecting, being thin and translucent the yellow is tamed a bit once fitted on a frame. Despite a few horror stories on the web about Solite I found it was a nice product to work with, a bit of patience and care gave pleasing results.

Next weekend fingers crossed I should get her finished.
Oct 26, 2015, 04:51 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Like!

Quick Reply