Oct 11, 2015, 01:47 AM
Scale Addict
Thread OP
Build Log

Tiger Rag build - now for CAP 2019

After being involved in RC for almost my entire life, I got the bug to dabble in vintage models. I thought the YOBBO build-off would be a great way to try my hand at these cool models.
My selection is the Tiger Rag; a control-line biplane stunter published in the March 1982 issue of Model Aviation. My plan is to scale the plans up and convert it to full-house RC controls powered by a 700 watt electric system. I just happen to have an NTM 50-50 580kv outrunner on hand that I will use. Unfortunately actual building won't begin for another month or so while I finish some other projects. But this gives me time to acquire all the other bits this project will require.
Last edited by FlyingTyger; Jan 07, 2019 at 01:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2015, 02:11 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Link posted to build off thread; watching with interest.
Oct 12, 2015, 11:44 PM
Here's Ray's plan cleaned and scaled.
Oct 13, 2015, 10:51 AM
Scale Addict
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri-pacer
Here's Ray's plan cleaned and scaled.
Thanks Tr-Pacer. That will definitely print better. I have the other file dropped into CAD already and am starting to plan my moifications. The biggest will be the cabane struts. They are plywood integrated into the fuse and wing. Nothing is meant to be removeable which will not work on a 55"x50" plane. I don't want to re-engineer the design or change the look, I'd like the wood struts to remain. I already have some ideas that I'm playing with but this might be a scenario that's easier to design as I build it.

The only other major change is to add the ailerons and rudder not needed by the original CL design.
Oct 13, 2015, 12:18 PM
Its a nice looking design, I'll be watching your build!

Chuck
Oct 15, 2015, 10:49 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Looks like a really interesting build, I'll be following....

best regards,

jeff
Nov 09, 2015, 11:20 PM
Scale Addict
Thread OP
Finally got a chance to start cutting some wood on this one. I will start with the tail so the first step was to lay up the perimeters. I cut the forms from some scrap MDF and used them to form the fin/rudder and an elevator TE.
Nov 12, 2015, 12:09 AM
Scale Addict
Thread OP
Still working on some other projects but had the day off so I got a little done in between. The tail feathers are now framed up and ready for fabric.
Nov 12, 2015, 01:02 AM
Nice and clean !
Nov 12, 2015, 02:34 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Elegant shapes FT - I just love laminated outlines!
Feb 15, 2016, 04:23 PM
Scale Addict
Thread OP
So after getting distracted by some other projects, I'm back to this one hoping to get it done in time for the YOBBO build-off.
I have studied my power system and ran quite a few calculations through eCalc. Best scenario with the NTM 50-50 outrunner was to use a 14x6 prop spinning over 9000 RPMs. A little higher than I'd like for a lazy vintage bipe. So I started playing with some other combinations. I found that changing from the NTM 50-50 580 kv motor to a SK3 42-50 500 kv motor would allow me to change to a 15x6 prop and reduce the RPMs to under 8000 without sacrificing power or flight time. I have alot of experience with this motor having used it on 3 other projects, so I ordered one right away for the T-Rag.

We will most likely still be snowed in before the end of the build-off, so the plan is to test fly the T-Rag on skis. It has been a couple years since I have flown off snow, so I fitted some skis on my Balsa USA Stick 40+ to reacquaint myself with ski flying. Now I just need the wind, sunlight, and my work schedule to all align for me so I can do some flying.
Feb 15, 2016, 04:32 PM
Scale Addict
Thread OP
I made a trip to Balsa USA last week and brought home the rest of the wood I should need for this project. Along with the hardware and covering I had, I'm pretty close to having all the pieces and parts I need for this plane. This should help make the rest of this build go fairly quick.
Feb 16, 2016, 09:25 PM
Culper Junior
Wow, wish I lived close enough to a balsa supplier to make big purchases in person.

Nice looking model BTW, 55" span should be a lot of wing area.
Feb 17, 2016, 12:06 AM
Scale Addict
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Wow, wish I lived close enough to a balsa supplier to make big purchases in person.

Nice looking model BTW, 55" span should be a lot of wing area.
It's still a 3 hour drive for me so I don't do it normally, but I had enough to pick up to make the trip worth it. Much more than shown for the Tiger Rag
Feb 17, 2016, 08:38 AM
I always loved the Tiger Rag and wondered how an RC conversion would work. I will be following this one! But if you really can do this "fairly quick" I'll be doubly impressed. I've been fixing up a couple of bipes, one repair and the other a conversion of a monoplane, and even after years of building I'm amazed at how much longer everything takes than I expect!

Jim

Quick Reply