Oct 11, 2015, 01:05 AM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Build Log

Hilliard Dwarf

While searching for a subject for the YOBBO build-off I came across this little guy. Though the plans were printed in my birthyear ('82) it was just for the CO2 conversion. The airframe design dates back to 1949. But I thought the Dwarf would make a nice indoor flier and a warm-up build for the build-off, so here we go. I scaled the plans up 50% which yields a 36" span. The plan is to use a 18mm outrunner on a 2S lipo with 3 channel (rudder, elevator, throttle) RC control.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2015, 02:19 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Since the plans you are basing this on were published in 1982, albeit as a redraw of an earlier design, if you want you can enter it in the YOBBO build of. I decided that this was OK when another entrant asked if it he could enter a Buzzard Bombshell using plans for a modified R/C version published in 1983, the original design is MUCH earlier.
Oct 11, 2015, 10:53 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Thanks Sundance. I wouldn't mind doing this as a second build-off entry but my focus will still be on the Tiger Rag. This one will let me tryout some techniques that are new to me and should be fun indoors.
Oct 11, 2015, 11:13 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
I like this one, looks like fun....

best regards,

jeff
Nov 29, 2015, 12:44 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
While I have been consumed with a couple larger projects, I did make some progress on this one. So to catch up:
I started with wing construction. After cutting all the pieces for the fuse, I realized just how much my tooling is catered to larger subjects. The idea of cutting all these little ribs on my jigsaw didn't seem to appealing. So I decided to try a different approach to construction. I started by laying out the leading and trailing edges. Then I laid 3/32" square where the ribs would be. I laminated a piece of carbon fiber to a strip of balsa for the spar, then glued that in place on top of the assembly. My original idea was to bend a second 3/32" balsa stick over the spar to create the "ribs". Didn't work, they just broke. So I left the aft sections n place and filled in the front with 3/32" sheet. Then sanded the whole assembly to shape. I added a second 3/32" square rear spar to help give the "ribs" a little more shape. I'm not sure if this technique was a good decision, but it seems to have yielded fairly stiff light wing panels.
Nov 29, 2015, 12:47 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Wing panels are joined and the center section has been filled with balsa and sanded to shape. The wing is ready for final sanding and covering.
Nov 29, 2015, 07:53 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
The aft fuse section was framed per the plan. The front was called off as a carved block of balsa, which leaves no room for the electronics. So I framed a box the minimum width needed for the Spektrum brick and half the height. I made a balsa tube the same width with a lite ply former at each end. Once cut in half this formed the top of the fuse. A small block was carved to finish off the nose. The new longer nose was then added to the aft section and stringers were added to blend the sections together. The fuse and wing were then covered with tissue sealed with three coats of Polycrylic.
Nov 30, 2015, 07:46 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Cute little bugger.
Dec 01, 2015, 12:00 AM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Got the fuse and wing painted and assembled today. For color I mixed 1 part craft acrylic paint with 4 parts polycrylic to create a translucent paint. I bent up the gear and glued it into the fuse. I also got the motor and brick installed and hooked up. Starting to look like a plane.
Dec 01, 2015, 01:51 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
That's been a really quick build, it looks cute and I like the translucent orange paint. The dihedral looks less than the model shown in the photo in Post #,1 or is that an optical illusion?
Dec 01, 2015, 07:23 AM
Very nice. Should be a fun model.
Dec 01, 2015, 10:27 AM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
That's been a really quick build, it looks cute and I like the translucent orange paint. The dihedral looks less than the model shown in the photo in Post #,1 or is that an optical illusion?
I think it's a little of both. I used the TLAR approach to setting the dihedral. I know its close to the designed digedral but may be a smidge less. I set it to about 3" under one wingtip which is still a fair amount and more than it looks in the picture.
I'm happy with the paint. This is the first time I've tried the translucent paint other than on some test pieces. And truly this was just a larger test as I would like do this on some larger models.
Dec 01, 2015, 11:28 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
FT the Dwarf looks great !

best regards,

jeff
Dec 01, 2015, 12:03 PM
Very Stable Genius
Cute design, reminds me of the KK Slicker Mite. You're making a nice job of it.
Dec 01, 2015, 01:22 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspar
Cute design, reminds me of the KK Slicker Mite. You're making a nice job of it.
Agreed. It was the smooth classic lines of this plane that caught my attention from the get go.

Quick Reply