Oct 10, 2015, 11:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Transporting your multirotor and gear

How do you guys transport your multirotor(s) and gear to your flying spot? Let's see some pics!!!

I just got started in quads/heli's a few months ago. After a few RTF/BNF quads (Hubsan X4, Nano QX, WLToys v636), I decided to build one. I built a Hunter Mini Vtail and used a box to carry it, tx and gear to a field. Problem is that it slides around in the box unless I drive like a 90 yr old grandma. I just finished a Diatone ET200 and now want to be more organized and protect my gear. I also have a ET150 in the way and plans for a 450-600 class for video.

I recently bought 2 HF aluminum cases. The Vtail is a bit odd shaped so it doesn't quite fit with a tx which is why I bought 2. There are 20% off single item coupons everywhere so I bought them on 2 separate visits to my local HF.

I just thought it would be cool to see how others are transporting their multirotors and gear.

Hunter Vtail with tx (Devo 7e w/a7105 and NRF modules)

ET200, Devo 7e, Fat shark Attitude v2

I'm hesitant to pluck more foam w/o a solid idea of what I need to carry. The 2nd case is still untouched but will most likely carry the Vtail and ET150 (once it's built). These cases are slightly bigger than a regular briefcase and carrying 2 makes it kinda bulky. They come with shoulder straps so that might help a bit. They're cheap for a reason but good enough for transporting quads.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2015, 12:25 AM
Nothing fancy. I don't really do cases or foams. The only fragile part of a multirotor are the propellers, so anything goes for the rest of it.

I commute or walk (usually walk) to the flying sites so everything has to fit in the backpack and leave my hands free.

The bungee cords are for securing it to the back of tricycles.
Oct 11, 2015, 12:50 AM
I just make them fold
Oct 11, 2015, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Nothing fancy. I don't really do cases or foams. The only fragile part of a multirotor are the propellers, so anything goes for the rest of it.

I commute or walk (usually walk) to the flying sites so everything has to fit in the backpack and leave my hands free.

The bungee cords are for securing it to the back of tricycles.
I was wondering if people were transporting with the props on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganj13 View Post
I just make them fold
I was looking into folding quads for the 450-600 size I want to build.
Oct 11, 2015, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC1 View Post
I take them off if i expect to run into heavy crowds during the commute. Otherwise, i leave them on. These aren't quick release props and the steel locknut tends to shave the threads off the aluminum prop mounts. I've had to buy three sets of replacement prop mounts in the last two years.

My flying site is 3km from my house, and i just walk there. The props aren't going to hit anything so i just leave them on.

BTW, i'm using 1038 carbon mixed slowfly's. They're impressively durable, the part the blade attaches to the hub is thick, so they hold up to transportation and getting knocked around really well.
Last edited by Hajile; Oct 11, 2015 at 01:22 AM.
Oct 11, 2015, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC1 View Post

I was looking into folding quads for the 450-600 size I want to build.
Hmm folding quads..here's what comes to mind:
Tarot STS 650
carbon cnc eu has a cool folding one on here
HMF U580 Pro
Quanum XJ470

My favorite of those is propably the Quanum 470 it's the best though out and well made imo. My one issue is I don't know if it will fold completely if you put different motor mounts on. But it looks pretty sturdy and could definitely be expanded to fit larger motors and props. I've considered making a 15" prop X8 out of it.
Nov 01, 2016, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
Reviving an old thread

I've upgraded my gear and quads. I have 2 of the cases I posted up top (HarborFreight cases) and I've been using 1 for my transmitter (Taranis), fatsharks and 1 200mm quad and the other for the rest of my quads and that's been working well but I recently built a XJ470 with Naza M Lite upgraded to v2 and needed a way to transport it. I really didn't want to spend $160+ for a Pelican case because I didn't need the extreme protection it provides, just something to put the quad in to transport to/from flying sites. I was just going to use a storage bin but then I found a Stanley FatMax 28 inch tool box that works great and it was $30 shipped from Amazon. I picked up some 1" foam panels and cut to fit the base of the XJ470. Bonus is that I can fit 2 200mm quads and a 150mm quad as well as some tools, props and other small stuff or just the XJ470, transmitter and batteries.

I only need 1 HF case for my transmitter, fatsharks and 7" monitor.

Stanley FatMax 28" tool box:

XJ470, Emax 200, LS210 and ET150 stuffed in there

Quick Reply