Oct 10, 2015, 07:00 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Installing Hot Racing CVD Drive-Shaft ECX Ruckus SECT288X06

So I received the slotted drive shafts from HR (SECT288X06) and am running into an issue trying to use the stock pin to secure them to the stub shaft coming out of the differential. The threads start to bind (or at least seem to start to bind as I tighten the pin). I've tried pins from both sides of the car. I can think of a multiple scenarios:

- the car was purchased used, so possibly the stock pins are not stock (but the current shafts are all stock - so I'm guessing this isn't the problem)
- the HR shaft was designed for a different pin thread
- the HR shaft has a manufacturing defect
- the HR shaft threading is designed to have some interference (but hate to ruin an expensive set of shafts testing this theory)

Anyone run into a similar issue with any of the HR drive shafts?

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...CT288X06;c=684
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2015, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_hiker
- the HR shaft threading is designed to have some interference (but hate to ruin an expensive set of shafts testing this theory)
Nothing like replying to one's own thread, but....

A little more elbow grease was all that was required. A couple of other funny things.

The shafts are keyed - but the wheel nuts aren't? What's up with that?

Where exactly does the crush washer go? I see faces on both the shaft and the wheel nut to interface with the bearing - so I'm not completely clear where to put the crush washer. Currently, it's sitting between the wheel nut and the bearing.

The wheel nuts have two set screws each which require a lot of force to tighten down such that they stay locked to the shaft - and even then - without them being keyed, I'm suspect that they will not stay put. Any thoughts/comments on this?
Last edited by jj_hiker; Oct 11, 2015 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply