Oct 09, 2015, 10:18 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Mini-Review

DHD D1, World's Smallest

Ok, to start I have to say that this quad, the DHD D1, or one of the similar rebranded ones, the Floureon FX-10 and Cheerson CX "Stars", have made it into the Guinness book of records as the world's smallest quad, or so I read. I have also read that the three of them do not all fly the same, and one is better than the others, but I will only be able to review the DHD D1. I was graciously offered this quad for review by Banggood.

I recieved this quadcopter from Banggood on October 8th, 2015, the DHD D1. It was shipped with free shipping/no tracking on September 14th so it took 24 days to arrive. The quad came in a nice little box inside a bubble wrap envelope, with that inside a plastic envelope. The box had no damage from handling, and the contents were intact with no damage. This nanoquad is very small, even after reading about how small it is, I was still a little surprised at the size. Hard to believe that something so small could actually work well. Here is my review.
Name: zzxbox.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 65.4 KB
Description: Name: zzxboxcntnt.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 43.1 KB
Description:

This nano sized quadcopter is very similar in design to the Cheerson CX-10 but is about 2/3 of the size of the CX-10. The lights are blue in the front, and red in the back. The lights are on the outside of the motor mounts and look like they could be very good for low light flying. The Transmitter has a space in the middle that actually houses the quad under a clear cover, so you can transport the quad with it inside the transmitter. The transmitter measures about 4-1/4 x 2-3/4 x 1-3/4 inches(11cm x 7cm x 4.5cm), small enough to fit inside a normal shirt pocket.
Name: zzxqud.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 48.3 KB
Description: Name: zzxlite.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 30.6 KB
Description:

My description:

The package includes the quad, the transmitter, a usb charge cord, the manual, and 4 spare props. The motors are 0412s and measure 4.1mm x 12mm. It has an on/off switch on the right side. The battery is rated at 80mah and is soldered in place so is not easily exchangeble. It has a flat connector with two contact strips as the charge port on the back of the quad. The quad weighs 7.6 grams. It does not come with the prop guard. The diagonal motor to motor measurement is 30.6mm, compared to very popular CX-10 mtm of 44.5mm. The props measure 21.0mm. Height of the quad is 20.0mm. The voltage measured on the charge contact strips reads about 1.80 volts, I do not think it is possible to measure the actual battery voltage using those strips. After a flight of 5+ minutes, and taking the quad apart, I was able to read the shutdown voltage at about 3.3 volts at rest. The stock charger is a USB cord. I use a wall wort that came with a cell phone. The red light comes on when you plug in the charge cord and the quad, and goes out when the charge is finished, and charged it to 4.14 volts in about 30 minutes. The manual is typical chnglish but most of the instructions can be deciphered. The manual shows that a screwdriver is included, but mine had none.
Name: zzxsize1.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 35.0 KB
Description: Name: zzxsize2.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 31.5 KB
Description:

Banggood's description of the quad:

Description:
Item name: DHD D1 Drone Smallest RC Quadcopter
Frequency: 2.4G
Gyro: 6 axis
Lipo-battery: 3.7V 80mAh (Included)
Remote battery: 3 x AAA dry battery (Not included)
Charging time: 30mins
Flying time: 5-7mins
R/C distance: about 25m
Flying distance: about 20m
Color: blue,green
Mode: Mode 1 (Right hand throttle), Mode 2 (Left hand throttle)

Features:
The smallest RC Quadcopter in the world.
3D rollover, hovering at any angle.
With Headless Mode, no need to adjust the position of aircraft before flying .
4 channel which can fly forward/backward, ascend/descend, turn left/turn right, 360-degree rotation.
It has 6-axis gyro which can have more stable flying and be easy to control.
Lightweight airframe with nice durability.

Package Included:
1 x D1 Smallest RC Quadcopter
1 x 3.7V 80mAh battery
1 x Transmitter
1 x USB cable
4 x Propeller
1 x Manual

Transmitter:

It has a transmitter sticks have a measurement of 65.0mm center to center. It is a bit bigger than some other transmitters like the CX-10 and UY939 so it has a little bit better feel. I did not fly it with the thumbpads as they come on the transmitter. Like some of the transmitters I recieve with thumbpads on them, I extended the sticks with 15mm nylon standoffs but then replaced the thumbpads on the top of the sticks making the top of the sticks about 28mm above the top of the gimbal balls. The thumbpads easily twist off and the stalks under the thumbpads will fit tightly into a stick with a 1/8 inch internal diameter.
Name: zzxtx.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 52.3 KB
Description:

The batteries for the transmitter are not included. It takes 2 AAA batteries. The range of the RX/TX was 90 feet in a straight line when I first tested it. But I had signal dropout as close as 20 feet when rotating the quad, it seemed to be worst when the quad was pointed nose in towards me. I will take the quad and transmitter apart later to see if I can modify the antennas for better range. If you push down on the left throttle stick it changes the rates. It has slow, fast, and headless modes. The right stick when pushed down initiates flip mode, then you push the right stick in the direction you want to flip. The buttons under the right stick adjust forward/backward, left/right trim. The buttons under the left stick seem to have no function. There are no shoulder buttons. If you turn off the transmitter while the quad is flying, it will drop from it's flight immediately, and also drops right away if you lose signal at a distace.
I tried binding this quad with the Cheerson CX-10C, and it worked, but I did not actually fly it, just paired them together and checked throttle to make sure the blades spun up. The CX-10C would not bind with any of my other transmitters.

Comparison

Here is a picture of this quad compared to two other quads, from left to right: Cheerson CX-10C, DHD D1, and JJRC H20.
Name: zzxquadcmpr.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 55.6 KB
Description:

First Flight

It's flight is very stable, it drifted a little to the right, but only needed one or two clicks of trim to get a good hover. The yaw rate is fairly slow on low rates and in headless mode, and meium fast on high rates. In high rate, you can do a funnel in a diameter of about 36 inches or a little more. It yaw rate seems about the same as the CX-10. It has plenty of power but does not seem very fast when flying in high rate. Fast and slow rates should be mangageable for a beginner. I flew it inside today except for the range test, the low voltage warning of lights flashing gives you at least 30 seconds to land. It performed flips within about a 1 foot vertical distance.
I had at fairly mild wind late this afternoon, so I flew it outdoors to check the range. It did handle a little bit of wind, maybe usp to 5 miles per hour. It be a good indoor flyer because it has a decent yaw rate.

Conclusions

I think it would be good for beginners because of good stability and a decent yaw rate. The lights did help a little during daylight. I was very surprised that something so small could fly so well. That it got over 5 minute flight time on the first battery charge also surprised me, I was expecting something like 3 minute flight times, but I will have to time more flights. After the first charge only took about 10 minutes and it flew for over 5 minutes, I was a little worried that the charger might be charging over 4.2 volts. After charging it again, flying it, then taking it apart and measuring the voltage, I was more at ease with using the supplied charge cord. I will post more about that in the second post.
My first thought about this quad was that it would be a novelty more than anything. But after flying it a couple of times, I was impressed with how well it flew. If it holds up well, I would say it is well worth it to have the smallest quad currently in production.

Pros:
Good price.
Smallest available quad to date.
Good flight time.
Decent yaw rate.
Strong motors.
Very stable hover with little trim needed.
Decent lights for low light flying.
Slightly larger and better transmitter than most nanoquads.
Two rates, intermediate and advanced.
Has an on/off switch.

Cons:
Unusual charge connector.
Battery is soldered in place.
Transmitter with thumbpads.
Limited range.

This micro quadcopter was sent to me for review by Banggood. You can find it here: http://www.banggood.com/D1-Drone-Min...-p-986728.html .Currently $16.99 USD shipped.
Last edited by siriusflier; Oct 09, 2015 at 10:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2015, 10:19 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Tear down and modifications

Because the range was not very good and I wanted to look at the insides, I took apart the quad and the transmitter. In the transmitter, there are buttons under the left trim switch, but I have not found any uses for those buttons. I drilled a hole in the top of the transmitter and stuck the wire antenna out. The transmitter antenna wire measured very close to 31mm long.
Name: zzxtx1.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 62.3 KB
Description: Name: zzxtx2.jpg
Views: 121
Size: 73.0 KB
Description:

The quad is held together by four screws located in the arms on the bottom side, and there are clips at the end of the motor arms much like the clips found on the CX-10 quads. You must remove the props first, but be careful, they are easy to bend. I used the blade of a small knife underneath the prop collar to pry it up. The battery is a very tight fit in the battery tray. After the screws are removed, you have to gently pry the clips out to release the upper body, then you can pull the upper body shell off. Next just gently seperate the lower body from the fcb, motors, and battery.
The antenna was bent into an S shape on the top of the fcb. I straightened it and measured it at about 33mm long. I trimmed it close to 31mms. I tried to punch a hole in the upper body to run the antenna through, and cracked the body. The body is a little bit easy to break, so I glued it back together and used a small drill bit to make the hole.
The battery has 80mah printed on it, no C rating, and no brand name. Under the battery on the bottom side of the flight control board is a chip with XN297 and 1518 printed on it. On the top side, the chip closest to the charge port has H540,N959C1, and A1405 printed on it. The other chip on the topside has F031K4 and GH20C9U printed on it. I doubt you will be able to read those numbers in my pictures.
Name: zzxtrdwn.jpg
Views: 153
Size: 44.6 KB
Description: Name: zzxtrdwn2.jpg
Views: 165
Size: 42.2 KB
Description: Name: zzxtrdwn3.jpg
Views: 157
Size: 41.8 KB
Description:

I had flown the quad until it would not lift off anymore before I took it apart so I checked the battery voltage, it read 3.34 volts. Then I charged the battery with the stock charger while I had it apart so I could check the fully charged voltage, it read 4.14 volts, a safe enough upper voltage limit.
Finally, I reassembled the quad and the transmitter with the antennas both sticking straight up through the top. I did not put the screws back into the quad, and since I had cut 2mm off of the antenna, the quad lost 0.2 grams and now weighs 7.4 grams.
Name: zzxantmd.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 38.5 KB
Description:

I took it outside for another range test with the antenna mod, and I stopped at about 180 feet, double the original range, because it was getting to hard to see. I also did not have any close up drop outs like before the mod. So I think that with the antenna mods, you can easily fly this quad as far as you can comfotably see it.
Last edited by siriusflier; Oct 09, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
Oct 09, 2015, 01:31 PM
Nice review. You know if deviation supports the protocol ?
Oct 09, 2015, 01:59 PM
I'm guessing that the weight could be reduced further by substituting a thinner piece of wire for the antenna, and making do with two screws to hold the body shells together.

Edit: I notice you didn't use any screws. Does this work OK?
Last edited by S.Giles; Oct 09, 2015 at 02:04 PM.
Oct 09, 2015, 02:24 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrope1
Nice review. You know if deviation supports the protocol ?
It uses the same protocol as the CX-10c, and that has been deviated.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Oct 09, 2015, 04:31 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I did not put the screws back in, only have a couple flights on it since then, but the clips on the end of the motors seem to be holding it together well. Probably only saves about 0.1 gram, those screws are so tiny. Thinner antenna wire might help.
I timed another flight inside the house with no fans on and got 4:40 minutes until it would not stay in the air any longer. I am really impressed with the flight time too, I don't think my CX-10 ever got over 4 minutes.
Solo, thanks for that info on deviation, I am not up on that. I also read your very good review, if anyone wants another perspective on this quad, go here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2480748 .
Oct 09, 2015, 08:38 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I took this quad out for a night flight and the lights really help with orientation. I had to put a piece of tape over the tx light though to keep it from distracting, I have never liked night flying with a bright led or lit up screen on the transmitter.
I flew it out to at least 100 feet and had no problem with orientation, in fact I think it is easier to see at a distance at night than during the day. The lights on this quad are much brighter than the lights on the CX-10C that works with the same transmitter.
I also tried out the headless mode earlier, and it works fine, but the yaw rate is so slow in headless mode that it is not much fun. I liked the headless mode of the H8, especially at night when you could have the lights spinning around like a top while flying all over the place.
I also timed a few more flights with a stop watch and got over 4.5 minutes every flight.
Oct 10, 2015, 12:27 AM
Great and detailed review Sirius ...

Good to know it's using the CX-10 "Blue-A" protocol
Oct 10, 2015, 12:48 AM
I agree with SeBy, a nice detailed review, that doesn't sound like a add, like I've seen on some reviews having been put up lately. Where already in the first lines it's already stated what a great item it is, and nicely priced, and value for money etc, before the review has really started.

I also have the habit of linking to other interesting reviews in my review threads, and this one has just been added to the list of links.

I do like that this quad again has the bright leds that have been missing on the latest batches of the CX-10. Shame about the limited range, but I've already deemed it to be my main indoor flyer, and keep the BayangToys X6 (which also has great bright leds, and awesome range) and the 8801 LuLa (which has pretty good range after a transmitter antenna mod) as outdoor nano "birds".
Oct 10, 2015, 06:57 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words. SeByDocky and SoloProFan reviews are some of the best that I always read.
I am still really impressed with this quad after more than half a dozen flights. And with the antenna standing straight up out of the body, it has more range than I will ever need.
Oct 10, 2015, 08:44 PM
Last edited by quadthusiast1458; Oct 11, 2015 at 05:02 PM.
Oct 10, 2015, 08:45 PM
Last edited by quadthusiast1458; Oct 11, 2015 at 05:02 PM.
Oct 11, 2015, 03:21 AM
ssg
ssg
My D1 keeps drifting backwards no matter what I do. Trimming doesn't really help. This makes flying D1 annoying as you have to pitch forward little all the time and even with full forward pitch it moves really slowly. I have tried it on all 3 modes.

Any suggestions how to fix this?
Oct 11, 2015, 05:34 AM
Did you perform gyro calibration yet?
Oct 11, 2015, 07:48 AM
ssg
ssg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Did you perform gyro calibration yet?
How do I do this? I lost the manual already.

Quick Reply