Sneak Peek at the NEW Revolectrix BUMP Controller - Page 96 - RC Groups
Nov 16, 2017, 04:26 PM
did i get it right, that the new "Touch"-chargers can also handle each of the existing PL6 / PL8 / Double-Chargers by BUMP-Control beneath the own charge unit ? So, a PL6Touch can also contoll an additional PL8Double and PL8v2 , like if they are managed by separate Bump-Controller way we do with the "old" Powerlabs ?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2017, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDi-RC.de
did i get it right, that the new "Touch"-chargers can also handle each of the existing PL6 / PL8 / Double-Chargers by BUMP-Control beneath the own charge unit ? So, a PL6Touch can also contoll an additional PL8Double and PL8v2 , like if they are managed by separate Bump-Controller way we do with the "old" Powerlabs ?
Yes, each PLT model has 2 external control ports for legacy PL6, PL8, or DPL8 chargers. So they could control both channels of a DPL or any 2 PL6/PL8s.

The single PLT models can control up to 3 chargers (1 internal and 2 external) and the dual PLT models can control up to 4 (2 internal and 2 external).

Of course if you already have the Bump Controller for your PLs, you can charge your packs seamlessly across both Bump and PLT without any issues and the mobile CCS app can Bluetooth connect to both of them simulatenously for monitoring, control, history upload, etc.

Don't you love how we are always trying to leverage your past Revolectrix investment to create cool new things ?
Nov 17, 2017, 12:30 PM
thats great , good job !
Nov 18, 2017, 02:33 PM
RCHN #150
Will the new unit fit in my Rigid case? Assuming I will need a new deck,

Rick
Dec 13, 2017, 08:11 AM
Anyone know if you can change power supply to & from DC/ Battery via the Bump or app
Dec 13, 2017, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerjim
Anyone know if you can change power supply to & from DC/ Battery via the Bump or app
Think Ive worked it out, assume i just set power from DC to (car battery 12v) as i have a 12v battery to power the charger/bump
Dec 17, 2017, 11:04 PM
ancora imparo

Cycle testing

Kelly, hope this is not a question that has been answered earlier.

I wanted to do 5x break in cycles before some high current testing of some new small LiPos. Using just the charger not regen discharge.

On my Hyperion chargers this is trivial to set.

However I could not find cycle charge/discharge on the Bump nor was able to set more than 1 cycle manually on my Powerlab8.

Both have the latest firmware.

Am I missing something obvious (it happens a lot ) or is this functionality not there?

Thanks

John
Dec 18, 2017, 01:30 AM
John, why you do these old-school burn-in-cycling ? Its totally needless and a relict from the 2005 lipo technology. The only thing important is that new batteries are proper balanced, and thats why i recommend to to a low-current dsc. ( max. 5c ) and charge balanced with 1c again to asure proper balancing. Thatīs all. Any more cycling is just wasting time and doesnt have any positive effect to the batteries.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:08 AM
ancora imparo
Well you are entitled to your view but I don't agree with it. Like many things in hobby LiPo land there are many different views of the "truth".

To my satisfaction, we have ample evidence that cell IR changes a little in the first few cycles even for the latest formulations. And it does so to a different degree for different formulations. Others disagree. That's OK.

I do all my testing under the same conditions in order to minimise variability and maximise the credibility of any comparisons and that is one of them.

My question was about whether it is possible to do cycling simply with the Bump controller. Whether I choose to do that is my decision.

John
Quote:
John, why you do these old-school burn-in-cycling ? Its totally needless and a relict from the 2005 lipo technology. The only thing important is that new batteries are proper balanced, and thats why i recommend to to a low-current dsc. ( max. 5c ) and charge balanced with 1c again to asure proper balancing. Thatīs all. Any more cycling is just wasting time and doesnt have any positive effect to the batteries.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:29 AM
If you think that IR changes, watch it completely, incl. environmental and battery temperatures. IR depends on state of charge, battery temperature and charge current. Even on a 1c charge, temperature of battery will increase, if only 2.....4°C , but it effects IR-reading also.
And why should cycling effect IR on new cells ? There is nothing different on the first charge or later charges. There is nothing different in the battery . Stories about any substrate to increase storage life are only fairytales.
Dec 18, 2017, 04:29 AM
ancora imparo
Well, actually I know a bit about IR.

For accurate comparisons I would never measure it on charge but only resting at standard temperature after a sufficient soak time to reach ambient equilibrium. Just for info, IR of our model packs does not vary much with SOC until the pack is below about 10-15% capacity. It does drop a little with increasing SOC but it is not very significant.

IR is of course enormously temperature dependent and I can point you to some of the measurements I have made of that if you are interested.

This is off topic for this thread and let's agree to disagree. "There is nothing different about the battery" is an assumption. If it was true batteries would never age and loose performance as cycles increase. Whether there is something different about the first few cycles or not is not in my opinion proven (and I agree that the "substrate to improve storage life" story is another myth). However LiPos undergo anode/cathode formation charges and chemical changes during manufacture. I do not believe there is unequivocal evidence this results in a completely stable cell from the first cycle. Careful measurements of IR by people who know what they are doing have suggested not and that IR stabilises after a few low C rate cycles. It is not a big variation however and I completely agree that in practice it is not an issue for normal use.

Back to my original question to Kelly.
Is there any way to do cycle charge/discharge on the PL8 with a Bump controller or just the Powerlab8?

John
Quote:
If you think that IR changes, watch it completely, incl. environmental and battery temperatures. IR depends on state of charge, battery temperature and charge current. Even on a 1c charge, temperature of battery will increase, if only 2.....4°C , but it effects IR-reading also.
And why should cycling effect IR on new cells ? There is nothing different on the first charge or later charges. There is nothing different in the battery . Stories about any substrate to increase storage life are only fairytales.
Dec 18, 2017, 08:17 AM
Selection of multiple Analyze Cycles is on our todo list, but has not been a high priority. It will eventually get added to the Bump and PLT, but I suspect not until late 2018 based on other priorities.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:00 PM
ancora imparo
Thanks, Kelly.

Just so I am clear:
The PL 8 does cycling when using it stand alone and with the CSS - but not with the Bump or Touch series for the moment. Is that correct?

Just for info, cycling is very useful to those of us who test the smaller LiPos. Combined with regenerative charging it can provide a very convenient way to automate life cycle testing by running a large number of charge/high rate discharge cycles and monitor the drop in cell performance over time.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
Selection of multiple Analyze Cycles is on our todo list, but has not been a high priority. It will eventually get added to the Bump and PLT, but I suspect not until late 2018 based on other priorities.
Dec 19, 2017, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Thanks, Kelly.

Just so I am clear:
The PL 8 does cycling when using it stand alone and with the CSS - but not with the Bump or Touch series for the moment. Is that correct?

Just for info, cycling is very useful to those of us who test the smaller LiPos. Combined with regenerative charging it can provide a very convenient way to automate life cycle testing by running a large number of charge/high rate discharge cycles and monitor the drop in cell performance over time.

John
Correct - multiple cycles can be selected without the Bump.

Understood that it would be useful for battery testing, but in this world dominated by Lithium packs, thats about all its useful for - wasting cycles on a LiPo pack
Dec 29, 2017, 07:25 PM
Hello,
I just started having an issue with my PL6 and BUMP Controller. As of today, I'm getting a
"Safety Code #20
Bad Cell Count"
message when I attempt to do anything with a 6s battery. I swapped out the parallel board and power leads from my PL8 (which reads the battery just fine), and still have the same issue. From what I can tell, something has changed within the charger. It works with 2s and 4s, but not 6s. Is there anything that I can try to get it working again? I just noticed that there is a small arc/spark when plugging in the 6s pack, even though I have the balance tap plugged in first. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply