Apr 15, 2017, 09:26 PM
3D Hack
I Built the Ultimate Single Portable Charger

Okay, so I used a PL6. A PL8 would surely make it the ultimate!

Teaser photo below...

Details and more photos posted in my portable charger thread here
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2017, 06:53 PM
Ok so I have an old guy question......
When using the bump controller to put 6 cell 5000mAh batteries into storage charge the BC defaults to 1C when setting up the tag. Is it safe to use a "higher" discharge value?
It takes a Loooong time to get 4 batteries to storage charge. I'm using the defaults for all of the battery values. Thanks for any insight you might offer.

al
Apr 19, 2017, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer
When using the bump controller to put 6 cell 5000mAh batteries into storage charge the BC defaults to 1C when setting up the tag. Is it safe to use a "higher" discharge value?
It takes a Loooong time to get 4 batteries to storage charge. I'm using the defaults for all of the battery values. Thanks for any insight you might offer.

al
It's certainly okay to use a higher discharge value, up to the C rating of your battery. But it sounds like you're hitting the 100 watt discharge limit. Regenerative discharge will allow more watts, until your supply battery gets full. Light bulb dischargers work well, but you have to babysit it to avoid forgetting it and discharging too low.
There have been some fairly fancy discharger contraptions presented in these forums. Do a search, maybe something will catch your eye.
Apr 19, 2017, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer

al
Unless you are doing a regenerative discharge you cannot get more than a 1C discharge. The PL8 is limited to 100W discharge. A 6S 5000mAh discharged at 1C would be 126W.
25.2V * 5A = 126W.

Glen
Apr 20, 2017, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it.
I like the BC and PL8 because it's hard for me to mess things up. 1C rate it is.

al
Apr 20, 2017, 01:07 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
If you connect 2 Bump Controllers to a Dual PL8x2, can one iPhone monitor both sides of the charger simultaneously
Or do you need 2 instances of the app running
It is it not possible at all?
Apr 20, 2017, 01:39 PM
One bump controller can handle up to 4 chargers so a Dual PL8 is seen as 2 separate chargers by the bump controller. You just need to go into the PL8Duo and set one charger as Expansion channel 1 and the other side as Expansion channel 2. In the IOS app you will then be able to view and control both chargers on the one screen.

http://www.revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1465.pdf

"Configuring PowerLabs for BUMP Control
The BUMP Controller uses the Expansion Channel Mode interface for controlling the PowerLab chargers. By
default, all PowerLabs are configured to act as the MASTER, so in order for the BUMP to be MASTER and
control them, you must change this default setting in your PowerLabs.
To change the Expansion Channel Address of the PowerLab, perform the following steps:
1. Press INC+DEC to display the Options menu (Choose TASK?).
2. Press INC or DEC until you see Charger Options, then press ENTER.
3. In the Charger Address? screen, select EXPANSION CH. n , where ‘n’ is equal to the BUMP Controller
port number where you will connect this PowerLab, then press ENTER.
4. Press and hold BACK to exit options.
NOTE: The Expansion Channel Address of the PowerLab must
match the number of the BUMP Controller port to which it is
attached. This improves safety by ensuring PowerLabs are not
accidentally connected to the wrong BUMP Controller port."
Last edited by eddiscus; Apr 20, 2017 at 01:45 PM.
Apr 20, 2017, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc
If you connect 2 Bump Controllers to a Dual PL8x2, can one iPhone monitor both sides of the charger simultaneously
Or do you need 2 instances of the app running
It is it not possible at all?
Yes, the iOS app connect to 2 Bump Controllers simultaneously so you'll be able to control both.
Note that the display layout isn't as flexible as 2 charger's on a single Bump, but that limitation will also be removed in future releases.
Apr 21, 2017, 10:16 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
Yes, the iOS app connect to 2 Bump Controllers simultaneously so you'll be able to control both.
Note that the display layout isn't as flexible as 2 charger's on a single Bump, but that limitation will also be removed in future releases.
Thank you very much.
So, would it be possible to use a Bump Controller as JUST a wireless interface to the chargers and NOT use the Bump RFID tags?
Apr 21, 2017, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc
Thank you very much.
So, would it be possible to use a Bump Controller as JUST a wireless interface to the chargers and NOT use the Bump RFID tags?
Yes, you can just program Battery Presets into the Bump Controller itself (up to 99) and use those instead of, or in addition to, using BumpTags.
Last edited by RevoKelly; Apr 21, 2017 at 12:54 PM.
Apr 21, 2017, 12:26 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
Yes, you can just program Battery Presets into the Bump Controller itself (up to 99) and use those instead if, or in addition to, using BumpTags.
Thanks.
Of course, I did miss the last sale, right ?!
Yesterday, 06:23 AM
I keep get error code 17 cells don't add up on my bump charger. some of the lipos I am charging are new & some are used.

is this a bump controller issue or a charger issue
Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetequk
I keep get error code 17 cells don't add up on my bump charger. some of the lipos I am charging are new & some are used.

is this a bump controller issue or a charger issue
It is typically a problem with your balance cabling where charger is unable properly read all of the cell voltages. Also make sure the balance wiring mode is set correctly for your balance board/cabling.