Thread Tools
Mar 10, 2017, 05:19 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDi-RC.de View Post
, lots of users are very pleased with the BC and dont have any problems like yours.
Valid point. I'll try and dig up another similar cable and see if this is any better. I presume a standard servo type cable will work?
Maybe the cable has been the issue all along?

It would be nice to know what these error codes actually mean. I've had #17 and now #21 - is there something that these errors can tell me about the initial problem.??
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2017, 05:59 AM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnhemAnt View Post
Valid point. I'll try and dig up another similar cable and see if this is any better. I presume a standard servo type cable will work?
Maybe the cable has been the issue all along?

It would be nice to know what these error codes actually mean. I've had #17 and now #21 - is there something that these errors can tell me about the initial problem.??
The cable is a male to male, or is it female to female. Whatever the you call the gender it's the same on both ends. They are standard servo connectors so you could make one if you have two cables you could spare. Cut them in half and splice two of the same connector types together.

It is also a good idea to keep some electronic contact cleaner on hand too. I use DeoxIT D5.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-De...ords=deoxit+d5

Glen
Mar 10, 2017, 07:45 AM
Registered User
HaDi-RC.de's Avatar
im sure that (Revo)Kelly can say something about these errorcodes, maybe you PM him.
Mar 10, 2017, 08:53 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnhemAnt View Post
I think the issue is with the BC. If I disconnect this from the PL8 and just go back to charging as I have always done, there are no issues. IR readouts are all uniform and no errors.
I'm starting to think I have wasted my cash on a BC and all the additional tags that I purchased.

I like the idea of using the BC, but to date, it is not working consistently for me and doesn't seem worth the effort or money.
Link lost errors are normally a symptom of excessive electrical noise.
Rather than me writing a novel here about possible causes, just PM me and we'll find a time e to talk.
Mar 10, 2017, 10:58 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly View Post
, just PM me and we'll find a time e to talk.
PM sent.
Mar 10, 2017, 11:14 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
The cable is a male to male, or is it female to female. Whatever the you call the gender it's the same on both ends.

Glen
Tried a different cable to the one that was supplied and I get the same error code (#21), yet, if I disconnect the BC and just continue to use the PL8, I have no errors. Leads me to think it is either an issue with the BC or possibly the connection at the BC or PL8??
Mar 11, 2017, 12:12 AM
Registered User
HaDi-RC.de's Avatar
what kind of supply do you use ? You can do a simple test to figure if you have too much noise on your powersupplies output : just power the PL and BC from a large Lipo battery ( e.g. 6s 5000 mAh or bigger ) and try charging with same settings. If no error, its a noise problem on the powersupply, in many cases a simple ferrite core can help to get rid of it.
Mar 11, 2017, 07:35 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDi-RC.de View Post
what kind of supply do you use ?
It's a 24v switching power supply from SolidHobby.
I can't see how this is causing the issues as this error code #21 has only just started to happen. Also, when charging with just the PL8, there is no error, yet I am still using the same power supply.
Mar 11, 2017, 06:22 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
ltc's Avatar

Li-Ion battery without balance leads


Has anyone ever charged this pack (2s2p Li-Ion) on a PL8?
http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-rece...-power-rb.aspx
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/...r-Ion-RB-5200/
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/show-file/716/
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/...es/LiIon-Accu/

There are no balance leads, no internal balancer electronics (like Duraflite or BoomaRC)
It is not A123 or LiFePO4, but rather Li (4.2V/cell)
There is no relevant preset for a (large) Lithium non balance charge type? The only preset is for small (2000) 1s/2s non balance Lithium.

Any opinions?
Just create a new preset based on the small 1s/2s unbalanced?
Mar 13, 2017, 04:05 PM
espritmodel.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
Has anyone ever charged this pack (2s2p Li-Ion) on a PL8?
http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-rece...-power-rb.aspx
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/...r-Ion-RB-5200/
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/show-file/716/
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/...es/LiIon-Accu/

There are no balance leads, no internal balancer electronics (like Duraflite or BoomaRC)
It is not A123 or LiFePO4, but rather Li (4.2V/cell)
There is no relevant preset for a (large) Lithium non balance charge type? The only preset is for small (2000) 1s/2s non balance Lithium.

Any opinions?
Just create a new preset based on the small 1s/2s unbalanced?
Jeti Li-Ion packs have internal balancing and over-charge protection.

Zb/Esprit
Mar 24, 2017, 06:22 PM
Registered User
Guys, I'm getting frustrated with this Bump Controller. Since purchasing the unit, believing it would make charging a little easier, it has been nothing short of a waste of my time and money. At the moment, I can't even use the device as I keep getting error codes (both #21 and #17). I have been told that #21 is due to noise, which I thought may be caused by my PSU, so I then connected everything up to a 12v deep cycle battery, and made the appropriate changes for the power source. After trying this, I am still getting the #21 error with the BC, yet, when I disconnect this from the PL8 I can charge/discharge until the cows come home - with no errors.
I'm hoping that someone out there can shed some light on this. I want this unit to work, but I am slowly losing confidence in it.
Mar 24, 2017, 06:34 PM
Registered User
I had to send mine back.

If you wanna lose confidence in the name try their batteries.
Mar 24, 2017, 10:08 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
I had to send mine back. .
What issues did you have with yours? Wonder if mine are similar?

As for the brand, I love the gear that Revolectrix have, including their batteries. That's why I am at a loss with the BC.
Mar 24, 2017, 11:32 PM
Registered User
Whirlybird2012's Avatar
Hi Kelly,
I think I have hit the cache limit on 2 bump controllers (100 charges?)

The IOS app wants to sort of hang on downloading the history from each of these BCs. I tried an Android tablet and it showed me I had reached that limit, which is how I knew.
One of the bumps has 10 graphs to upload, the other has 4.

It seems like there is no way to get the IOS device to download that history from the BC cache once it is full. The Android device downloads it but now I have it on 2 devices. Not a problem right now.

Any idea when the functionality will be in the IOS app to get past that hangup? It happens on 3 IOS devices all on the same BCs.

Beyond this, the IOS app as a first release has been almost bullet proof after 200+ charges. (including beta testing)

Thanks!
WB
Last edited by Whirlybird2012; Mar 24, 2017 at 11:54 PM.
Mar 25, 2017, 08:22 AM
Michael
Kelly indicated noise and, as he is a principal, I would go with continuing to investigate that route.

As you eliminated the PS, that leaves only the wiring; especially grounds.

I have a BC connected to my DPL8. I used the BumpCharger.com "three-in-one" EC5 leads as I figured that they could do a better job than I could merging three grounds and three positive leads.

Have you tried wiggling the power leads?

How about the female-to-female servo connectors between the BC and your PL8?

Those are the only two physical connections and you already ruled out the PL8 as it charges fine, disconnected. I mentioned the servo leads as a bad connection could allow noise to pass through that way; just a guess on my part, but worth investigating. Also, I have had the female pins in the plastic case get pushed back when inserting into the male connector on the BC or PL8. It works for a while, then doesn't. Look at the "window" where you can see the plastic tab trapping the female pins; again, long shot, but still part of the potential noise loop.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnhemAnt View Post
Guys, I'm getting frustrated with this Bump Controller. Since purchasing the unit, believing it would make charging a little easier, it has been nothing short of a waste of my time and money. At the moment, I can't even use the device as I keep getting error codes (both #21 and #17). I have been told that #21 is due to noise, which I thought may be caused by my PSU, so I then connected everything up to a 12v deep cycle battery, and made the appropriate changes for the power source. After trying this, I am still getting the #21 error with the BC, yet, when I disconnect this from the PL8 I can charge/discharge until the cows come home - with no errors.
I'm hoping that someone out there can shed some light on this. I want this unit to work, but I am slowly losing confidence in it.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion A Sneak Peek at the New Vortex Hexacopter from Atlanta Hobby Lucidity47 Multirotor Drone Talk 4 Oct 16, 2014 10:56 PM
Discussion A sneak peek at the ARRI Alexa 3 Axis Brushless Gimbal RC Rotors Multirotor Drone Talk 1 Mar 30, 2014 12:11 PM
New Product Fitting the new Skyline stabilization board + sneak peek at new direct drive upgrade. booma Multirotor Drone Talk 0 Apr 13, 2012 01:36 AM
Discussion Sneak Peek at the New Creation Museum Miami Mike Life, The Universe, and Politics 38 May 30, 2007 05:01 PM