Sneak Peek at the NEW Revolectrix BUMP Controller - Page 2 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Oct 15, 2015, 07:11 AM
Registered User
A question that we discovered back from IRCHA when you were so gratious to allow me to examine it. One thing we discovered is that the controller uses the same port on the charger that the FUIM3 PC USB Interface uses. In my example that I showed you, I have this installed in my case so that I can plug into it without having to open up my case. The problem we saw at IRCHA is the controller also plugs into this port and therefore the FUIM must be removed. The issue that this brings up is when the time comes for firmware updates to the CellPro, I will then have to take my case apart, unplug the controller, plug back in my FUIM to perform the upgrade. We did try to use a Y connector to connect both the controller and the FUIM but found that this would not work (since I did not have the unit to test when I returned home I do not know the reason) when we did a quick test at IRCHA.

So my question is, have you found a way to tie both the FUIM and the Bump Controller into the charger at the same time so once all is installed, removal is not necessary to perform things such as Firmware upgrades to the charger?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2015, 08:39 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
A question that we discovered back from IRCHA when you were so gratious to allow me to examine it. One thing we discovered is that the controller uses the same port on the charger that the FUIM3 PC USB Interface uses. In my example that I showed you, I have this installed in my case so that I can plug into it without having to open up my case. The problem we saw at IRCHA is the controller also plugs into this port and therefore the FUIM must be removed. The issue that this brings up is when the time comes for firmware updates to the CellPro, I will then have to take my case apart, unplug the controller, plug back in my FUIM to perform the upgrade. We did try to use a Y connector to connect both the controller and the FUIM but found that this would not work (since I did not have the unit to test when I returned home I do not know the reason) when we did a quick test at IRCHA.

So my question is, have you found a way to tie both the FUIM and the Bump Controller into the charger at the same time so once all is installed, removal is not necessary to perform things such as Firmware upgrades to the charger?
You could always wire in a triple pole double throw switch that would completely isolate the BUMP from the FUIM3 so either could be connected to the charger through the switch. Some folks did something similar early on with two PL8's to switch between expansion channel mode and using the FUIM3 to update the firmware on each charger.
Oct 15, 2015, 10:18 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
ltc's Avatar
It would have been nice if the BUMP connected to the Powerlab and the FUIM connected to the BUMP, which acts as a routing switch for the comm to the Powerlab port
Oct 15, 2015, 10:43 AM
Registered User
I recall RC Logger was developing a similar system a year ago or so, but don't see it on their site. Did Revolectrix pick this up from them and develop it to production? Just curious.
Oct 15, 2015, 10:49 AM
3D Hack
JC Spohr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacav8r
I recall RC Logger was developing a similar system a year ago or so, but don't see it on their site. Did Revolectrix pick this up from them and develop it to production? Just curious.
Nope - this came about from a completely different source.

Chris
Oct 15, 2015, 10:55 AM
3D Hack
JC Spohr's Avatar

Easy as 1-2-3


How easy is the BUMP controller to operate?

It's a simple and fast 3 step process to charge a battery... "Bump - Connect - Go"

Watch the video demonstrating it > Bump-Connect-Go

Chris
Oct 15, 2015, 10:55 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc
It would have been nice if the BUMP connected to the Powerlab and the FUIM connected to the BUMP, which acts as a routing switch for the comm to the Powerlab port
That is essentially what will happen over time - the BUMP Controller itself will be able to manage/configure/relay all communication with the PC/mobile device via USB or BluetoothLE ... but adding all of that software functionality will take time. So until we can get everything implemented in the BUMP Controller, there will still be a need to connect directly to the PC using the 3-wire interface and the FUIM USB adapter.

So with that said, here's how it will work in the interim ...

There is no problem leaving a servo Y-cable which connects the BUMP Controller, PowerLab, and FUIM. Having the FUIM connected does NOT interfere with communication, even if the FUIM is connected and powered via the USB/PC port (note that starting the CCS software *WILL* interfere with communication). So no need for a switch or to manually disconnect any cables. Not exactly sure what/how it was tested at IRCHA, but I've tested it several ways and it has worked every time. I'll get our beta team to test it too, just to make sure we're not missing anything.

In BUMP Controller settings, you will be able to temporarily disable "mastering" of a particular port. This will allow the PowerLab to exit ECM "slave" mode and allow the Windows CCS software to connect and control it.

I've tested the possibility of taking it a step further and having the BUMP Controller listen for any unexpected traffic on the 3-wire interface and, if present, automatically disable "mastering" of that port until the unexpected traffic stops. This would mean you wouldn't even need to go into BC settings and disable the port - it would be automatic. With more tweaking, I think I can make this work, but can't promise it - can only promise to try

NOTE: The BUMP Controller has an integrated micro USB port for connectivity, so FUIM is not required for connecting it to PC.
Oct 15, 2015, 10:58 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc
It would have been nice if the BUMP connected to the Powerlab and the FUIM connected to the BUMP, which acts as a routing switch for the comm to the Powerlab port
Really, this is the proper way to do it and should be considered prior to production
Oct 15, 2015, 10:59 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
You could always wire in a triple pole double throw switch that would completely isolate the BUMP from the FUIM3 so either could be connected to the charger through the switch. Some folks did something similar early on with two PL8's to switch between expansion channel mode and using the FUIM3 to update the firmware on each charger.
A "dirty" solution and perhaps prone to errors and a switch like that is not idle for passing data through and could lead to potential communication issues
Oct 15, 2015, 11:08 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
That is essentially what will happen over time - the BUMP Controller itself will be able to manage/configure/relay all communication with the PC/mobile device via USB or BluetoothLE ... but adding all of that software functionality will take time. So until we can get everything implemented in the BUMP Controller, there will still be a need to connect directly to the PC using the 3-wire interface and the FUIM USB adapter.

So with that said, here's how it will work in the interim ...

There is no problem leaving a servo Y-cable which connects the BUMP Controller, PowerLab, and FUIM. Having the FUIM connected does NOT interfere with communication, even if the FUIM is connected and powered via the USB/PC port (note that starting the CCS software *WILL* interfere with communication). So no need for a switch or to manually disconnect any cables. Not exactly sure what/how it was tested at IRCHA, but I've tested it several ways and it has worked every time. I'll get our beta team to test it too, just to make sure we're not missing anything.

In BUMP Controller settings, you will be able to temporarily disable "mastering" of a particular port. This will allow the PowerLab to exit ECM "slave" mode and allow the Windows CCS software to connect and control it.

I've tested the possibility of taking it a step further and having the BUMP Controller listen for any unexpected traffic on the 3-wire interface and, if present, automatically disable "mastering" of that port until the unexpected traffic stops. This would mean you wouldn't even need to go into BC settings and disable the port - it would be automatic. With more tweaking, I think I can make this work, but can't promise it - can only promise to try

NOTE: The BUMP Controller has an integrated micro USB port for connectivity, so FUIM is not required for connecting it to PC.
When we tested it at IRCHA, we did use a servo Y cable and it did NOT function with the Bump controller in place plugged into the Y with the FCIM also plugged into the other leg of the Y. This was WITHOUT plugging a PC in and running the CCS software. Removing the Y and plugging in the Bump Controller and it resumed working as expected. Testing the FCIM thru the Y harness and running the CCS as an additional test did show it to work but again NOT with the Bump controller in place.

So my concern is still communication with the charger for firmware updates without having to perform a cable dance.

I am sorry I cannot recall the individual's name at IRCHA that I tested this with but originally spoke to one gentleman and when I returned he was occupied so a second gentleman working the booth and I tested this as well as several other items (such as ability for the bump controller to read thru Lexan and at what distance it could still see the ID
Oct 15, 2015, 11:09 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Really, this is the proper way to do it and should be considered prior to production
No argument its the proper way to do it, but the additional software dev will take a few months and most customers we've spoke with want it *NOW* ... actually *YESTERDAY* ... so its not a feature that we considered as mandatory for first ship.

We will be continually adding new features as we move forward and firmware upgrades will be quick and easy. And the priority of feature development is driven by you, so speak up if you have a burning feature request.

Note that firmware upgrades can be done manually via Windows firmware upgrade utility (works just like PowerLab firmware upgrades via Windows CCS), but the really cool part is that firmware upgrades are *automatic* with the mobile apps ... you will get prompted to upgrade to the latest version of the mobile app, thenthe next time you Bluetooth connect to your BUMP Controller, it will push down the latest firmware automatically ... so you'll always get the latest features as soon as they're available.
Oct 15, 2015, 11:13 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
When we tested it at IRCHA, we did use a servo Y cable and it did NOT function with the Bump controller in place plugged into the Y with the FCIM also plugged into the other leg of the Y. This was WITHOUT plugging a PC in and running the CCS software. Removing the Y and plugging in the Bump Controller and it resumed working as expected. Testing the FCIM thru the Y harness and running the CCS as an additional test did show it to work but again NOT with the Bump controller in place.

So my concern is still communication with the charger for firmware updates without having to perform a cable dance.

I am sorry I cannot recall the individual's name at IRCHA that I tested this with but originally spoke to one gentleman and when I returned he was occupied so a second gentleman working the booth and I tested this as well as several other items (such as ability for the bump controller to read thru Lexan and at what distance it could still see the ID
There have been some significant changes made with the 3-wire communication software since IRCHA, so there could be differences there. As I said, it works great for me running the latest firmware. We will thoroughly test it as part of the beta program and make sure the supported setup/process is documented.
Oct 15, 2015, 11:13 AM
Registered User
Another question, as an aside, with the DPL8, will two Bump controllers be needed (one connected to each side since 2 FUIMs are required) or will one controller be able to communicate with both sides?

If two are necessary, how far apart will they have to be spaced so that while "bumping" battery 1 for the left charger, it does not program the right side charger? E.g. I am parallel charging 4 x 4S packs on the left charger and 3X 6s packs on the right. If I swipe the 4S pack on the left side is there a possibility that the right side controller may pick it up?
Oct 15, 2015, 11:17 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
No argument its the proper way to do it, but the additional software dev will take a few months and most customers we've spoke with want it *NOW* ... actually *YESTERDAY* ... so its not a feature that we considered as mandatory for first ship. Sorry I guess I come from the old school and would rather wait and have a complete product than to "hope" other features come out later. So while I would like it, I will wait for the second or third shipment that has all of the features

We will be continually adding new features as we move forward and firmware upgrades will be quick and easy. And the priority of feature development is driven by you, so speak up if you have a burning feature request.

Note that firmware upgrades can be done manually via Windows firmware upgrade utility (works just like PowerLab firmware upgrades via Windows CCS), but the really cool part is that firmware upgrades are *automatic* with the mobile apps ... you will get prompted to upgrade to the latest version of the mobile app, then the next time you Bluetooth connect to your BUMP Controller, it will push down the latest firmware automatically ... so you'll always get the latest features as soon as they're available.
But are these firmware upgrades for the Bump Controller or will it push the CHARGER firmware upgrades from the Bump to the charger. Again what I was told at IRCHA is charger updates will still have to be done via FUIM
Oct 15, 2015, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
There have been some significant changes made with the 3-wire communication software since IRCHA, so there could be differences there. As I said, it works great for me running the latest firmware. We will thoroughly test it as part of the beta program and make sure the supported setup/process is documented.
Can you detail the changes please or at least what may lead to the difference between the test we did then and current beta.