Sneak Peek at the NEW Revolectrix BUMP Controller - RC Groups
Oct 08, 2015, 05:23 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
New Product

Sneak Peek at the NEW Revolectrix BUMP Controller

INTRODUCTION:

Welcome to the new thread dedicated entirely to an open discussion about the new Revolectrix BUMP Controller. Not only is this thread about an exciting new product, it represents a new concept for battery maintenance. For those readers who may not be familiar with Revolectrix, Revolectrix is a brand that represents a partnership between the U.S.-company FMA, Inc. (also known as FMA Direct) and Leo Energy, LLC of Singapore. FMA, Inc. has a long track record of designing cutting-edge products for the worldwide R/C hobby market. Since 2007, our partnership with Leo Energy has enabled us to focus on what we do best; engineer innovative products, while Leo’s main focus has been to oversee manufacturing in Indonesia. Our products, branded Revolectrix, are offered for sale and supported worldwide to R/C hobby dealers as well as to direct retail consumers via two webstores; the “REVO Singapore” webstore and the “REVO USA” webstore. Leo Energy maintains the REVO Singapore store; shipping globally from Indonesia. FMA, Inc. maintains the REVO USA store; shipping products to North and South America from Maryland. Unlike many of our competitors, who leave testing to their unsuspecting customer base, FMA, Inc. has a long-standing tradition of thoroughly and diligently beta testing our new designs using teams composed of carefully-selected, qualified candidates, to ensure they work as advertised when they hit the streets. Collectively, the group chosen to beta test the new BUMP Controller represents decades of modeling experience and employment within the field of electronic instruments and testing. This unique thread is being started, and is fully-sanctioned and supported by FMA, Inc., but it will be monitored by the beta team. You are invited to ask technical questions or inquire about available features to your heart’s content. Answers will be supplied by team members who now have logged cumulatively, thousands of happy hours with the prototypes each has received. Over the past several months, their inputs have helped shape the user interface and feature-set of the BUMP Controller. From time-to-time, members of the engineering team, including myself, may step in to offer assistance in this regard; however, for the most part, this is their thread. ENJOY!

Meet the Beta Team:
Ed Johnson
Shannon Turner
John Romann
Tony Clement
Greg Campbell
Chris Spohr
Dale Hagan
Jack Doherty
Glen Crandall

But before you start asking questions, take a quick look at the current specifications and the feature set of this ground-breaking new battery management system:

OVERVIEW:

WHAT IS “BUMP” ?

BUMP is an exclusive new Revolectrix concept for Battery Management. The BUMP Controller utilizes Near Field Communication (NFC) Technology to communicate with any battery equipped with a BUMP Compliant Tag, or “BumpTag”. The BumpTags will be pre-installed and pre-configured on most Revolectrix batteries in the near future. BumpTags will also be available for sale separately, so a customer can configure them for use with any battery of his choosing using the BUMP Controller. Once a tag is programmed for any given battery, a simple “BUMP” of the battery on the BUMP Controller configures any Revolectrix PowerLab Battery Workstation to the ideal settings for performing all battery management tasks. The BUMP Controller can independently address up to 4 PowerLab units (or channels of the Dual PowerLab 8) – each PowerLab connected is able to operate completely independent of the others.

MAJOR FEATURES:

• Simple, intuitive color touchscreen user interface
• Complete charger setup with a simple "bump" of the battery ... just bump, connect, and press Start
• No need to configure or select presets although native PowerLab operation is still possible for non-BumpTag equipped batteries
• Optimizes charger settings for each individual battery, speeds up the charging setup process
• Reduces accidental mistakes that could lead to expensive (and potentially dangerous) battery damage
• Automatic calculation for parallel charging, even for different battery capacities and C-ratings
• Each BumpTag contains the full factory ratings of the battery (write-once), as well as user preferences and settings that can be changed at any time
• Each BumpTag contains a unique ID which enables automatic battery history and performance tracking – battery cycle history is automatically cached and uploaded to the mobile app whenever it connects via Bluetooth
• Works with all existing Revolectrix Cellpro PowerLab 6, PowerLab 8v2, and Dual PowerLab (8x2) Battery Workstations
• Connect up to 4 PowerLab Workstations to a single BumpController (any combination of PL models)
• Supported Chemistries: LiPo (including LiHV), LiFe, Li-Ion, NiMH, NiCd, and Pb
• Supported Operations: Accurate Charge, Normal Charge, Fastest Charge, Discharge, Storage Charge, Analyze Cycle
• Analyze Cycle allows battery performance characteristics (Fuel Table, actual capacity, IR, etc.) to be stored back to the BumpTag for accurate fuel level and cycle time estimates
• The Bump Controller can serve as a remotely-mounted user interface for the PowerLab Battery Workstations, allowing the chargers to be completely hidden inside a charging case or beneath charging tables/benches. This frees up valuable workspace for batteries, connectors, adapters, parallel adapters, etc.

HARDWARE CAPABILITIES:

• High-brightness, 2.8" QVGA TFT LCD with resistive touchscreen
• Integrated BUMP wireless interface for configuring and reading BumpTags on batteries
• Integrated Bluetooth 4.0/LE support for wireless real-time monitoring, control, and firmware upgrades (Android, Apple iOS, and Windows mobile devices)
• Integrated USB port for direct connection to Windows PC for firmware updates, as well as powering/charging mobile devices
• Four (4) 3-wire serial interfaces for connection to PowerLab Workstations (uses standard male-to-male servo connectors/extensions)
• Powerful 32-bit ARM Cortex-M3 main processor, plus dedicated co-processors for Bluetooth and NFC
• Wide (10v-52v) input voltage range matches PowerLab Workstations for simple power setup (use standard EC-5 Y-cables to power the Bump Controller and PowerLabs simultaneously)

ROADMAP SOFTWARE FEATURES:

• 4Q 2015 : Windows USB Firmware Update Utility
• 1Q 2016 : Android Charge Control Software (CCS) Client initial release – monitoring, control and firmware updates (Bluetooth LE)
• 1Q 2016 : Bump Controller support for native PowerLab presets (in addition to “BUMP” setup)
• 2Q 2016 : Android CCS Client – battery history, graphing, reporting
• 2Q 2016 : Bump Controller support for native PowerLab options and settings
• 3Q 2016 : Apple iOS Client software initial release (Bluetooth LE)
• 4Q 2016 : Windows Mobile CCS Client (Bluetooth LE)

ESTIMATED INITIAL AVAILABILITY:

4TH Quarter, 2015

DIMENSIONS: 5.3” L x 3.1” W x 1.2” H (including bezel above/around LCD)

Please note: all specifications and features listed above subject to change prior to delivery.

Retail price for the basic unit currently $149.95 on the REVO USA webstore and $144.95 on the REVO Singapore webstore

Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.
Revolectrix Partner
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2015, 06:49 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador

Faq

Videos

Video of parallel charging and single pack charging with Bump Controller and PL8 Duo.
By Ed Johnson
Bump parallel and single pack charging. (4 min 34 sec)

At IRCHA with Tim Marks https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=9&v=jEyWMQNLnN8
The "Bump Zone" http://www.revolectrix.com/videos.htm?videoid=47

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can I tell if my Android device will work with the Bump Controller?
A: The Bump Controller uses Bluetooth 4.0 with BLE. Having BT 4.0 does not guarantee the device supports BLE. You can use this app from the Google Playstore to check for the presence of BLE on your device.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lboy.btd&hl=en
Or go to the Google Play store and search for BLE Checker
-Answer courtesy of Chris Spohr

Q: My BT signal keeps disconnecting from the Bump Controller. What can I do to improve the BT reliability?
A: BT is a short range low power radio. The connection will be affected by a noisy environment particularly in the 2.4GHz range. On some Android devices, (particularly the Nexus 7), completely disabling the 2.4Ghz band resolves many BT issues. The Nexus 7 supports 5Ghz WiFi, so that band can be used for WiFi if your router supports it.

Q: Can you erase or clear the Bump Tag with a magnet?
A: No. The contents are stored in way that is not impacted by magnets. Thanks to Ed Johnson for testing this.

Q: Can the tags be reused, or moved from one pack to another pack?
A: No, for two reasons. The pack information (capacity, C rating, cell count etc) is stored in a section of the tag that can only be written once. Also removing the tags tends to damage the sensitive antenna inside the Bump tag.

Q: Can the bump tags be used with the Mikado VControl Battery ID Sensor
A: The NFC tags used by the Bump Controller can be read by the VControl battery sensor. However, the tags used by Mikado cannot be read by the Bump controller. The Bump controller stores detailed information in the tag and has higher requirement for the tag specifications.

Q: What NFC Tags are being used? Can I use any NFC tag with the Bump Controller?
A: The BC uses the Mifare Ultralight (Ultralight C) - NTAG213. You must use the tags from Revolectrix with the Bump Controller. The Bump Controller will not recognize other NFC tags, even if they appear to be the same model. This was done because there are clones of the NXP's NTAG Chipset. Reliability of the non-genuine clones is not up to the operating standards set by Revolectrix.

More Coming...
Last edited by Gregor99; Feb 10, 2016 at 10:21 PM.
Oct 08, 2015, 10:57 PM
When I tried to enter that URL into my Lenovo I kept making mistakes. A friend mentioned that TINYURL.com can shorten long URL's to a more manageable length.

For instance "https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicalboy.btd&hl=en"
became " http://tinyurl.com/qhx3dnn"

Glen
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Oct 08, 2015 at 11:03 PM.
Oct 09, 2015, 09:59 AM
3D Hack
Hello Everyone,

Chris Spohr checking in...

To the FMA team:

Thank you Tim, Jamie and Kelly at FMA for selecting me as a beta tester. And a big shout out goes to my fellow beta testers. I'm honored to be associated with such a fine group.

To soon-to-be BUMP controller owners:

Tim mentioned that the beta team consists of carefully-selected and qualified candidates but he didn't tell you this... all of the beta testers made a long term commitment to testing. That means we're not disappearing once the product launches. We'll still be working in the background testing the new features and functionality before they are released to you.

And now a few words about the BUMP Controller:

"Revolutionary" "Industry-changing" and "Wow" are the words that first came out of my mouth when I received my beta unit. Those words were followed by one the biggest smiles you will ever see. Quite simply, the BUMP controller is an amazing advancement in battery management. It is a game changer in my opinion.

When I bought my first PowerLab charger a few years ago, it was a huge leap forward for my personal charging needs. I didn't think I would need or desire anything more given the PowerLab feature set and capabilities (charge control software, presets, high charge rates and best balance circuit). The PowerLab charger was a game changer in terms of my personal charging needs. Life was good - very good. How could it possibly get better?

I am sure you already know the answer and you're correct... along comes the BUMP controller and BUMP tags.

BUMP controller + PowerLab Charger = Battery Management Bliss

If you have a Revo battery with a factory installed BUMP tag, simply BUMP the battery on the BUMP controller and the charge settings are done in about 2 seconds. Connect the battery to the charger and hit start on the BUMP controller. It's that fast and easy.

But what about the 50+ batteries I already own that do not have BUMP tags? Well the solution to that is nearly as fast and easy. Peel off a new BUMP tag and stick it on your battery. Then BUMP the battery on the BUMP controller and enter the batteries charge parameters. When prompted, BUMP the battery again to save the settings to the BUMP tag on that battery. Got more of the same battery? No need to re-enter the settings, just keep BUMPing new batteries until all of them are programmed. It only takes a few seconds per additional battery.

What about the user interface - is it easy to use?

In a single word, yes. That's the whole premise of the BUMP controller - to make battery management simple and easy. The BUMP controller has a very intuitive touch screen for setting up/displaying battery data and charger operations. When I received my beta unit, it was easy for me to just start using it by following the screen prompts and visual clues. There was no instruction sheet with the unit nor was one needed. My initial exposure to it left a very good first impression of usability. But was it good enough for prime time?

Not for this group of beta testers. They have turned Gold into Platinum. You can reasonably expect that same level of testing and tweaking from the beta team as the BUMP controller's road map features are rolled out.

That's all I've got say for the moment, so what say you?

Let the conversation begin...

Best,

Chris
Oct 11, 2015, 12:30 PM
Michael

Question About Operation, Please

Reading between the lines, is it correct to assume that, e.g., a DPL8 could be controlled totally via the BUMP's touchscreen?

I like the idea of burying (with cooling air, obviously) my DPL8 and PS in a case as I have now, but only the BUMP would be above the "cover" with two leads connecting the DPL8 to the BUMP interface and a single EC5 from the BUMP for power. I suspect that I might also need to bring out the power and balance leads from each half of the DPL8.

For my other batteries that might not have the special RF tag, it would seem that I could run a standard preset totally from the BUMP screen. That would be an excellent feature.

Do the power and balance leads from, e.g., an MPA board still connect directly to the DPL8? If yes, then that means two servo adapter leads, one BUMP EC5, two power leads and two balance leads would penetrate the cover.

I assume that a pre-order will be available on the website shortly; did not see anything as of this morning.

Thank you.

Michael
Oct 11, 2015, 12:59 PM
3D Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515
Reading between the lines, is it correct to assume that, e.g., a DPL8 could be controlled totally via the BUMP's touchscreen?

I like the idea of burying (with cooling air, obviously) my DPL8 and PS in a case as I have now, but only the BUMP would be above the "cover" with two leads connecting the DPL8 to the BUMP interface and a single EC5 from the BUMP for power. I suspect that I might also need to bring out the power and balance leads from each half of the DPL8.

For my other batteries that might not have the special RF tag, it would seem that I could run a standard preset totally from the BUMP screen. That would be an excellent feature.

Do the power and balance leads from, e.g., an MPA board still connect directly to the DPL8? If yes, then that means two servo adapter leads, one BUMP EC5, two power leads and two balance leads would penetrate the cover.

I assume that a pre-order will be available on the website shortly; did not see anything as of this morning.

Thank you.

Michael
Michael,

You are on the right track. The BUMP controller and the balance boards will sit on top of the deck and everything else below. The Bluetooth lets you also add a tablet for larger display of what's going on. It's also nice to be able to also sit 30 feet away and monitor charge operations.

I am putting two PL6's, power supplies, and two 92mmm fans under the deck with two balance boards on top similar to what you described.

Beta tester John already has done this with a Dual PL8 and BC designer Kelly has two PL8's under the deck on his. The BC has a power lead with EC5 (I used a y-cable off my power supplies) and connects to each charger via a male-male servo lead (one per charger channel). A dual PL8 needs two servo leads. The charge and balance cables still go directly to the chargers.

You will be able to by the BUMP tags separately to stick on your batteries. The BC also has a library of batteries that you previously setup.

Best,

Chris
Last edited by JC Spohr; Oct 12, 2015 at 09:20 AM.
Oct 12, 2015, 11:29 AM
Which one is aileron again?
Will this work with the Vbar control battery RFID tags?
Oct 12, 2015, 12:04 PM
The bump controller responds to the V-Control battery tags but since it is not an NFC tag it kicks back an error code.
On the other hand the Revolectrix NFC tag is recognized as an ID tag when scanned by the V-Control battery sensor and prompts you to enter battery data into the V-control.
The V-Control currently only recognized the Tags ID it does not utilize any of the battery info programmed into the tag by the bump controller.

Ed
Oct 12, 2015, 12:20 PM
Which one is aileron again?
So you could use the Revolectrix NFC tags instead of the Mikado ones and only have a single tag on your packs?
Oct 12, 2015, 12:36 PM
I have not tested it any further than having V-Control recognize the tag and prompt me for entering the battery data.
When I have a chance i will fully test it. But I don't see why it should not work as the V-Control tags are just ID tags and the batteries data (I believe) is stored within the battery app in the radio.
I will look into it further.
Oct 12, 2015, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a
So you could use the Revolectrix NFC tags instead of the Mikado ones and only have a single tag on your packs?
Yes, that is correct. We tested this first hand with the Mikado folks at IRCHA and it works as expected. Mikado uses nothing more than the unique ID of the tag, but the BumpTag is much more sophisticated, so BumpTag can replace Mikado tag, but not other way around.

We believe it's also possible for Mikado software to read the full specs of the battery from the BumpTag,but we haven't tested it yet. This could take it a step further and avoid the manual setup that users currently do to describe the battery. This would be Mikado software changes, not Revo, so we can't promise that will happen, but we will do what we can.
Oct 12, 2015, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Michael
Yes, the ability to access the presets already programmed into the PL, as well as the rest of the charger options/settings, will be added in a software release in early 2016. At first ship (late 2015), it will only do "bump" setup.
Oct 12, 2015, 11:16 PM
ancora imparo
Tim or Kelly.

I can't see it on either site.
Is the controller or tags actually available for pre-order yet?

Thanks

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks
Retail price for the basic unit currently $149.95 on the REVO USA webstore and $144.95 on the REVO Singapore webstore

Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.
Revolectrix Partner
Oct 13, 2015, 06:43 AM
Michael

+1

Very interested in preorder, but no joy on either site.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Tim or Kelly.

I can't see it on either site.
Is the controller or tags actually available for pre-order yet?

Thanks

John
Oct 13, 2015, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Very interested in preorder, but no joy on either site.

Michael
We anticipate having the products on the site for pre-order by the end of this month.