Oct 08, 2015, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
Alert

The hazards at El Dorado park Long Beach Ca

The bloody evidence.

Looks like the electric prop jobs need to be banned at El Dorado, my friend Jim was flying a glider there yesterday and EVEN THOUGH he was standing in the so called pilots station which are terribly marked, a foam Parkzone P-51 hit him in the leg causing a trip to the Emergency room, lots of blood was lost, Jim is convinced and so am I that the power fliers and the P-51 pilot in particular may have been AIMING at him. A police report is being filed, the AMA is getting notified and a visit to a lawyer is scheduled. I say ban the power models at the park. I left just before the incident but I heard some very curious comments from the P-51 pilot as I was walking to my car to leave. El Do is a scary place for pedestrians and animals.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2015, 04:39 PM
Lou
Lou
Ouch! Yeah, file a police report and keep us informed on the out come.
Oct 08, 2015, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
This is just one of the many cases of a sailplane club field being taken over by power fliers, they actually banned all propeller driven aircraft here years ago but the SAILPLANE guys went to bat to allow electric gliders and this is what happens. I was walking around the field yesterday with my Mini Aussie Shepherd, if one of these idiots had hit my dog Im not going to say what I would have done.

I do bike riding almost every morning in this park and get to see the constant flight line violations these guys do, including bragging about flying off the water which is strictly forbidden, and in fact it was Bill Sorenson who talked about the water flying. So if they think the glider guys don't adhere strictly to the field rules, they are sadly mistaken. I will be watching them even closer as I cruise by on my road bike!
Oct 08, 2015, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
...A police report is being filed, the AMA is getting notified and a visit to a lawyer is scheduled. I say ban the power models at the park...
I'm not sure exactly who owns the park, but if it is the city or some other official body, don't be surprised when every type of models are banned.
Oct 08, 2015, 09:13 PM
MK
MK
+1. Politicians often don't separate the good and the bad and don't understand the various R/C factions. They often just go to the extreme and ban all R/C activities.

One can argue that damage can also be done when a 3 meter glider smacks someone in the head, especially if it's going at a clip.
Oct 08, 2015, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
MK, you can argue that, but show me the "bloody evidence"! you can't because it hasn't happened. I was shocked when I saw Jims lower leg today, the massive bruising doesn't come across in the photos. This was nothing more than recklessness.
Oct 08, 2015, 09:49 PM

What's up

Quote:
The bloody evidence.

Looks like the electric prop jobs need to be banned at El Dorado, my friend Jim was flying a glider there yesterday and EVEN THOUGH he was standing in the so called pilots station which are terribly marked, a foam Parkzone P-51 hit him in the leg causing a trip to the Emergency room, lots of blood was lost, Jim is convinced and so am I that the power fliers and the P-51 pilot in particular may have been AIMING at him. A police report is being filed, the AMA is getting notified and a visit to a lawyer is scheduled. I say ban the power models at the park. I left just before the incident but I heard some very curious comments from the P-51 pilot as I was walking to my car to leave. El Do is a scary place for pedestrians and animals.
Don't be a bunch of clowns and get the place shut down
Getting Cops and layers involved is bad for Hobby.
Should have worked it out between the two parties involved.
Oct 09, 2015, 01:06 AM
Fly R/C writer
Question: do either pilot or the victim have AMA membership. Most public parks require AMA as a requirement of flying from the park.

I got the impression that this was deliberate but hard to believe that a modeler would do this! It is very disturbing to find that this kind of stuff is going on. Have we really gone so far as to inflict bodily harm on another? I sincerely hope not.
Oct 09, 2015, 08:34 AM
MK
MK
Quote:
MK, you can argue that, but show me the "bloody evidence"! you can't because it hasn't happened. I was shocked when I saw Jims lower leg today, the massive bruising doesn't come across in the photos. This was nothing more than recklessness.
Politicians don't act on evidence sometimes. They go beyond evidence for the public's "safety" and their own re-election. I'm not ignoring Jim's pain or the recklessness of the action and I'm not saying that the politcos will definitely shut the place down. But there is always that possibility once you drag officials and lawyers into the discussion.

It's a double edged sword!
Oct 09, 2015, 09:24 AM
Detail Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwhite View Post
Don't be a bunch of clowns and get the place shut down
Getting Cops and layers involved is bad for Hobby.
Should have worked it out between the two parties involved.
This sounds a lot like a statement made by someone that knows there may have been guilt by the power flyer.
Is the clown the guy struck by the model that cries fowl, or the guy flying the model that struck him? Especially intentionally.
The solution is easy-
The pilot that hit the other pilot should be banned from Eldo for life. End of problem.
This whole thug mentality of "don't call the cops, man" is bs....
Don't MAKE SOMEONE call the cops. Be big boys and behave properly. Duh. It's not hard.
Oct 09, 2015, 09:55 AM
Although the electric crowd at Eldo has some characters for sure, I'm with Mr. Lee on this one...I want to believe that even they are not stupid enough to deliberately hit someone. The most visible problem there is the electric pilots look only where they ARE, not where they are GOING. That, combined with slower-moving (and often expensive) sailplanes is a bad combination.

Tom
Last edited by tewatson; Oct 09, 2015 at 10:44 AM.
Oct 09, 2015, 10:30 AM
I was there...Both are AMA members and volunteered their information.
I saw the first pass and to be honest could not say that they were good enough pilots to actually carry out any preconceived attack. I did not see the model that impacted Jim. I was putting things away in my car and heard Jim cry for help. I landed Jims glider while the guy was apologizing and telling me he lost control of his plane. I then disassembled the Aspire , taped up Jim's leg and drove him to the hospital. I am inclined to chalk this up to bad skills and leave it at that.
Nothing good will come from this thread or making a federal case out of it. I feel for Jim but believe there is enough doubt that only the guys that fly at ElDo will be the ultimate victims. LJ
Oct 09, 2015, 11:09 AM
I am just curious why a guy flying an Aspire was flying down there with all the electric guys. The first time I went to fly there I learned quickly that the area were the electric guys fly is unsafe. Every old man (sorry but true) there had his own set of rules you had to follow. I think I flew up there a total of 4 times and got 4 different lectures on where I should stand and what direction I should land, even if it was downwind. I was going to abandon flying there anymore, but upon leaving the last time I saw that some guys were flying dlgs at the other side of the field. I found the other side of the field to be much better for flying pure gliders, dlgs, and motor gliders. The guys were nicer, the rules seemed to be to use common sense and to respect each others personal space and airspace. Never had an incident or close call flying on that side of the field. Always felt safe and welcome, and for a new flyer in the hobby that was refreshing.
Oct 09, 2015, 01:02 PM
Thread OP
Larry makes an excellent point about an intentional hit, it's probably more due to a lack of skills. And I think I will close the thread as Larry is also correct that nothing good will come from it. It's up to the individuals directly involved to sort it out.

Quick Reply