Oct 08, 2015, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Question

DX5/Apprentice S - Add a tow release (how?)

I have a DX5 and an eflite apprentice S. I'm off to an areo tow event with my gliders this weekend (My gliders are all FrSky/Taranis) but I'd like to take my Apprentice and do some towing.

Question: Is there a way I can use the SAFE channel for the tow release instead of the SAFE system?

Any other ideas for adding a controllable tow release to the Apprentice? I guess I could disable SAFE and use the rudder channel but its not ideal, it turns better when co-ordinated!

mjcp
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2015, 02:37 AM
mjcp, that wouldn't be Middle Wallop would it? if so we will be flying off the grass outfield, no problem for the petrol powered tugs, but an Apprentice S might struggle.

The other option we've done when towing with light weight foamies (dynam Tiger Moth etc) is to attach the tow line to the tug with velcro so it will break away if it all goes pear shaped. We did this to tow up some Parkzone Ka8s and it worked well.
Oct 08, 2015, 02:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
mjcp, that wouldn't be Middle Wallop would it? if so we will be flying off the grass outfield, no problem for the petrol powered tugs, but an Apprentice S might struggle.

The other option we've done when towing with light weight foamies (dynam Tiger Moth etc) is to attach the tow line to the tug with velcro so it will break away if it all goes pear shaped. We did this to tow up some Parkzone Ka8s and it worked well.
Small world ;-) It is, and over on Scale soaring they feed back was "never have too many tugs"

I've got a couple of gliders coming so not critical that the Apprentice flies... just want to "give back" to the hobby!

Velcro sounds like and idea! Also reading up on a straight forward Rx swap for a FrSky one and ignore the SAFE stuff.

I'll be there on Sunday with a 4m DG and UMX ASK-21 (and Apprentice... maybe)

Towing a 2m glider:
E-flite Apprentice tows 2-meter glider (1 min 7 sec)

mjcp (Marc)
Oct 08, 2015, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcp
Small world ;-) It is, and over on Scale soaring they feed back was "never have too many tugs"

mjcp (Marc)
True, never too many tugs, but there won't be many gliders that the Apprentice would manage at the Middle Wallop meet. Looks like we'll be there on the Sunday so maybe see you there, I'll have my Topaze and HP18.
Oct 08, 2015, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
And apparently the Vulcan will do a fly-by:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...U.k3u8IUZTll6M

Quick Reply