Oct 07, 2015, 11:45 PM
Thread OP
Question

Anyone in Orange County CA willing to help me with my quad build?

I am overwhelmed with all the information out there and cannot seem to find the exact information about how to setup my quad with the parts I have.

I have fried two PDB's a handful of ESC's and a couple of motors trying to get this quad built. I have a new PDB, new non-opto ESC's and new motors and am ready to take another stab at it. I have been at this for a month and nothing so far has gotten off my table. I have found all sorts of videos and diagrams, but non of them use exactly the same parts I have.

My plan was to do a budget build to get my feet wet and crash a hundred times before I get into the higher end frames/motors/ESC's.

Here is what I have:

ZMR250 Frame
Taranis XD9 Plus
FrSky D4r-II
Overcraft v4 PDB
Dragonfly32 Pro w/ Cleanflight 1.9
4x Crazypony 12A BLHELI ESC's
4x DYS 1806-2300kv motors

I am trying to do a minimal wiring job for the FC to the Rx (PPM) and keep it as simple as possible until I get a better grasp of how everything works (I am a fast learner). I would like to have telemetry for battery voltage and RSSI on my Taranis.

If there is someone out there local to me that would be willing to spare some face to face time with me, I am willing to pay for your expertise. I don't want someone to do it all for me, just someone to sit with me explain a few things and share their knowledge and help get me in the air so I can work on my FPV and stick skills.

I have been flying quads for over a year, but so far they all have been RTF, so I am not new to the hobby. I have about 8 or 9 hoby grade drones and a Runner 250 (what a turd!). I am just ready for the racer quads and and want to get into freestyle flying.

If someone cannot help me one on one, maybe someone can point me to a local shop that can help me. The only shop around me (I know of) that really focuses on these kind of quads is RC Depot, but they are not the friendliest when it comes to stupid beginner questions.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Last edited by MaTT GRaNT; Oct 08, 2015 at 12:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2015, 12:25 AM
I am not in Orange County but if you're closer to San Diego I can lend a helping hand. I've just started this hobby about half a year ago but have build 2 ZMR and 4 tri under my belt....so hit me up if you can't find anyone close to you...
Oct 08, 2015, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
You are a bit far, but I am willing to travel if no one local steps up.

Bump for the morning crowd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem6
I am not in Orange County but if you're closer to San Diego I can lend a helping hand. I've just started this hobby about half a year ago but have build 2 ZMR and 4 tri under my belt....so hit me up if you can't find anyone close to you...
Oct 08, 2015, 06:57 PM
No problem, good luck...there is this shop that's located in Southern CA: http://uav-rc.com/about
Oct 08, 2015, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiKDMoNKY
I am overwhelmed with all the information out there and cannot seem to find the exact information about how to setup my quad with the parts I have.

I have fried two PDB's a handful of ESC's and a couple of motors trying to get this quad built. I have a new PDB, new non-opto ESC's and new motors and am ready to take another stab at it. I have been at this for a month and nothing so far has gotten off my table. I have found all sorts of videos and diagrams, but non of them use exactly the same parts I have.

My plan was to do a budget build to get my feet wet and crash a hundred times before I get into the higher end frames/motors/ESC's.

Here is what I have:

ZMR250 Frame
Taranis XD9 Plus
FrSky D4r-II
Overcraft v4 PDB

I am trying to do a minimal wiring job for the FC to the Rx (PPM) and keep it as simple as possible until I get a better grasp of how everything works (I am a fast learner). I would like to have telemetry for battery voltage and RSSI on my Taranis.

If there is someone out there local to me that would be willing to spare some face to face time with me, I am willing to pay for your expertise. I don't want someone to do it all for me, just someone to sit with me explain a few things and share their knowledge and help get me in the air so I can work on my FPV and stick skills.

I have been flying quads for over a year, but so far they all have been RTF, so I am not new to the hobby. I have about 8 or 9 hoby grade drones and a Runner 250 (what a turd!). I am just ready for the racer quads and and want to get into freestyle flying.

If someone cannot help me one on one, maybe someone can point me to a local shop that can help me. The only shop around me (I know of) that really focuses on these kind of quads is RC Depot, but they are not the friendliest when it comes to stupid beginner questions.

Try rcdepothobbies in Westminister they built an sell parts.
Oct 08, 2015, 10:14 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Or, really close to you, Ultimate hobbies http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/
They are not a multi rotor or drone shop, but one of the biggest RC hobby shops in So Cal until a year ago when they down sized.
There is a guy by the name of Jonathan, he is a big time heli guy, may be go there and he can either help or point to someone who is close by and able to help.
Oct 08, 2015, 11:11 PM
Sibonga, Cebu
you can also try Hobby People if you have one near by.
Oct 08, 2015, 11:27 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by humayraykinaon
you can also try Hobby People if you have one near by.
Fountain Valley has a big one, in fact it's their head quarter. Now that you reminded me.
Oct 08, 2015, 11:41 PM
Sibonga, Cebu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutrc
Fountain Valley has a big one, in fact it's their head quarter. Now that you reminded me.
I've never been to that one, must be nice to go in there. I go to the one here near by me (South/Bellflower), nice people they are always willing to help.
Oct 08, 2015, 11:56 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
I go to work either thru Orange ( via 57 then 91 then 55) or all the way
on 405, so I go there sometimes.

For those who don't know the area, these are perpetually congested So Cal freeways.
No, they are not PID numbers.
Oct 09, 2015, 12:19 AM
Sibonga, Cebu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutrc
I go to work either thru Orange ( via 57 then 91 then 55) or all the way
on 405, so I go there sometimes.

For those who don't know the area, these are perpetually congested So Cal freeways.
No, they are not PID numbers.
good thing I don't have to deal with congested freeway specially 91 the most lol. my drive to work take one freeway (405) worst traffic ever in the morning going north.

OP, I wish I could help you but I'm still learning with the whole quad thing and I have CC3D F/C with my Flysky i6 wired PPM.
Oct 23, 2015, 01:37 PM
Quote:

Here is what I have:

ZMR250 Frame
Taranis XD9 Plus
FrSky D4r-II
Overcraft v4 PDB

I'm in Orange County and fly with my friend all over the place. My first quad is a SRD250 and I've taking the electronics and installed on a QAV frame due to a more rigid frame. So, I'm familiar with the components of quads. I also have built 2 ZMR 180 quads (2204, 2300kv and 1306, 3100kv). One running CC3D/open pilot and Devo7. The other Naze32 acro/clean flight and D4r II. I use a Taranis XD9 Plus for 250 and 180. I fpv with Skyzone SKY02 duel diversity goggles.

I've been to the multiple shops that have been mentioned.

RCDepot-emphasizing on DJI and aerial photography drones. Friendly only if you have knowledge of quads , which is unfortunate.

Ultimate Hobbies- emphasis on cars,planes,boats. You use a Taranis and Frsky, they deal with Spectrum and Futaba mainly.

Other shops-similar to UH they stock mostly RTF and parts for them.

Hit me up. Although I'm fairly new , I also learn quick and I'm easy going
Oct 23, 2015, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
I forgot to update this thread...

I got most of the issues I was having figured out on my own and got my quad in the air. I still would like some help programming my Taranis to do a few more things than I have already figured out. Do you know anything about setting up custom switches to enable voice warnings/notifications on the Taranis?

It looks like you are local, where do you fly at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnez
I'm in Orange County and fly with my friend all over the place. My first quad is a SRD250 and I've taking the electronics and installed on a QAV frame due to a more rigid frame. So, I'm familiar with the components of quads. I also have built 2 ZMR 180 quads (2204, 2300kv and 1306, 3100kv). One running CC3D/open pilot and Devo7. The other Naze32 acro/clean flight and D4r II. I use a Taranis XD9 Plus for 250 and 180. I fpv with Skyzone SKY02 duel diversity goggles.

I've been to the multiple shops that have been mentioned.

RCDepot-emphasizing on DJI and aerial photography drones. Friendly only if you have knowledge of quads , which is unfortunate.

Ultimate Hobbies- emphasis on cars,planes,boats. You use a Taranis and Frsky, they deal with Spectrum and Futaba mainly.

Other shops-similar to UH they stock mostly RTF and parts for them.

Hit me up. Although I'm fairly new , I also learn quick and I'm easy going
Last edited by MaTT GRaNT; Oct 23, 2015 at 03:14 PM.
Oct 23, 2015, 05:04 PM
Quote:
I forgot to update this thread...

I got most of the issues I was having figured out on my own and got my quad in the air. I still would like some help programming my Taranis to do a few more things than I have already figured out. Do you know anything about setting up custom switches to enable voice warnings/notifications on the Taranis?

It looks like you are local, where do you fly at?
I have some functions programmed. For example RSSI,battery status,armed/disarmed on switches with audio alerts. Below is one youtube channel that is very helpful for your Taranis and many other quad related subjects.

(Playlist for Taranis)
Painless360
Introduction to the FrSky Taranis Radio/OpenTX: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eSTc3svqWx-pa1

I fly all over Orange,Garden Grove, Anaheim, but since most of the parks are populated and could be dangerous I don't fly my 250 much. I fly my 180 sometimes at Yorba Park and a park next Santiago Charter School. Let me know go fly sometime

Quick Reply