Oct 06, 2015, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Quad copter Drifting on take off

Hello guys,

Adam here. I have a situation I could use some advise on.
I built a box o copter like the one flite test built a while back with a few differences. Main difference is using aluminum c channel instead of wood.

I am using aerodrive 1200 motors with gemfan 10x5 propellers. 25 amp q brain esc with kk2.1.5 board. I have a usbasp coming in the mail to update.
But here's the problem.

When I take off, the quad drifts forward or back and if I give it more throttle (left stock) she stays to twist or spin and drift all over. I have checked everything I could. From propeller direction to motor direction to idled controls in the receiver test.

Basically what I'm saying is the quad doesn't come up level and in position. Not even close. My suspicion is flex from the plastic toolbox. When I give left sick I can see the whole box flex and twist slightly. Could that cause this? Any and all advice is welcomed.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2015, 03:25 AM
Hi Adam! Have you re calibrated your KK2's ACC recently? Try to do it on a level surface before every flight. If the problem still persists, try editing the values in the 'Auto Level Settings' Menu. This is a good video to get your head around it:
KK2 Autolevel Tuning and Explanation (3 min 13 sec)

Give me a shout on your results!

Brad
Oct 07, 2015, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPanic840
Basically what I'm saying is the quad doesn't come up level and in position. Not even close. My suspicion is flex from the plastic toolbox. When I give left sick I can see the whole box flex and twist slightly. Could that cause this? Any and all advice is welcomed.
Yes, this would cause problems. The flight controller works because it knows the thrust direction of each motor/prop. If the frame is twisting the thrust directions change. The uncontrolled yawing you are seeing is a direct result of this. You probably should stiffen up the frame or build a new one.
Oct 07, 2015, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
Thank you guys for your speedy replies. I do not have my auto level leads hooked up on the kk2.1.5 board bc I wanted to try and learn how to hover manually, but I may have to give in on that.

I am going to try stiffening the frame tonight and see what happens. This is my first quadcopter to fly. And I built it. So stuff is twice as hard. But I like a good challenge.

Side question.
The leads to connect the kk2.1.5 board to the receiver is called what? Servo leads? But stupid question again. It's a female to female servo lead?

I am because I can't find them anywhere else and when I ordered them from hobby king, I was sent leads with different ends on each side. So I had to splice the wires and solder the same ends together to make what I needed.

Side question

Besides the kk2.1.5 board what are other user friendly flight controllers that aren't too expensive?

Quick Reply