This thread is privately moderated by Edge767, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 05, 2015, 03:28 PM
AMA 52726
Thread OP
Discussion

First Time Out To The Field in a Month

I finally got a chance to go out to the local club yesterday, and I'm glad I did. Even though winds were 3-10 mph (gusting) from the North, those winds were predominantly down the runway and only sometimes at a crosswind from the North-East.

I took three planes this time: My Albatros, Spitfire, and the queen of the squadron, the P-47D. All three planes were flown twice for about 5 minutes each, and it was a great time with each of them.

The Spitfire seemed a bit twitchy on its first flight, having flown it after the P-47 which flies like it's on rails. I dialed in some expo on the transmitter and the second flight was far smoother and looked better.

The Albatros was a better flying plane than I remembered. I haven't flown it in over a year, and while I remembered that it required a lot more coordination to fly it than the WWII birds, what made the experience really nice was that I used 2200 mAh batteries in it installed far more aft than the usual 1300 mAh batteries that the plane calls for. Doing this puts the CG back just a little, but it really made the plane fly better, nicer, and landings/takeoffs were sweet. I will be taking this plane to the field with me more often. As always, it got the most looks and comments. People love seeing a red bi-plane.

The Jug was once again the show-stealer for me. This plane just flies so incredibly well. I like it so much, I have another one in the box just in case I crash this one up too badly. For me, it flies exceptionally well, and even when it's windy or gusty, it just behaves nicely. Always a pleasure to fly this plane.

All in all, it was a great day of flying. I wish I could have gone out again today, but work and such kept me indoors. Maybe tomorrow.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2015, 05:02 PM
They're just my toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767
I finally got a chance to go out to the local club yesterday, and I'm glad I did. Even though winds were 3-10 mph (gusting) from the North, those winds were predominantly down the runway and only sometimes at a crosswind from the North-East.

I took three planes this time: My Albatros, Spitfire, and the queen of the squadron, the P-47D. All three planes were flown twice for about 5 minutes each, and it was a great time with each of them.

The Spitfire seemed a bit twitchy on its first flight, having flown it after the P-47 which flies like it's on rails. I dialed in some expo on the transmitter and the second flight was far smoother and looked better.

The Albatros was a better flying plane than I remembered. I haven't flown it in over a year, and while I remembered that it required a lot more coordination to fly it than the WWII birds, what made the experience really nice was that I used 2200 mAh batteries in it installed far more aft than the usual 1300 mAh batteries that the plane calls for. Doing this puts the CG back just a little, but it really made the plane fly better, nicer, and landings/takeoffs were sweet. I will be taking this plane to the field with me more often. As always, it got the most looks and comments. People love seeing a red bi-plane.

The Jug was once again the show-stealer for me. This plane just flies so incredibly well. I like it so much, I have another one in the box just in case I crash this one up too badly. For me, it flies exceptionally well, and even when it's windy or gusty, it just behaves nicely. Always a pleasure to fly this plane.

All in all, it was a great day of flying. I wish I could have gone out again today, but work and such kept me indoors. Maybe tomorrow.
Nice! Hahah yea, I know what it feels like to be back at my flying field having not been there for a month. I also have that exact same spitfire! And I had twitching problems with its elevator. No amount of expo could fix it, so I replaced the servo entirely. Works a lot better now. Those planes look awesome, and I'm sure it was great to be back.

I'm more into 3D flying than warbirds though. My 78" Extreme Flight Extra 300 is uber powerful with its Falcon 20x9 carbon composite prop and its Desert Aircraft DA-35 engine, it can hover at half throttle, and can do every trick in the book. I love it. Do you like 3D?
Oct 08, 2015, 01:11 AM
AMA 52726
Thread OP
I like it, but I'm still pretty amateur when it comes to 3D. I can do some basic stuff like hovering and such, but I need to practice on a simulator to get some more coordination-heavy aerobatics down before I try them on my real planes. I don't have a big 3D plane yet, but it's something I plan on getting sometime within the next 6 months. I had a line on a great plane that would just need a receiver, but my buddy never got back to me about it, so I'm not sure the deal is going to go through anymore. No worries; there are lots of great deals out there. I just have to be patient.

I have a bunch of micros and UMX's that I'm getting ready to sell, though. I was into them for a little while so my son and I could fly in front of the house, but now that he's grown and out of the house, they just sit in their boxes. I decided I'd rather sell them to help fund the next "bigger" plane.

Quick Reply