The BS1 Racer - RC Groups
Oct 05, 2015, 09:25 AM
Build Log

The BS1 Racer

I have decided to start a build thread on my newest project: The BS1 Racer, A 1/3 scale build of the Legendary BS1.

Why BS1? Well, I own one of the last flying BS1 aircraft, so it was an easy decision this time round to decide which model to build.

The BS1 Racer will be designed to compete in the 1/3 scale GPS triangle class, so it will be a high performance sailplane with very modern aerodynamics.

The Basic design and layout is completed and building has effectively started, watch this space for updates.

For today a few pictures of AC, my BS1 which I owned for more than 25 years
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2015, 12:29 PM
yyz
yyz
Looking forward to it!

A fellow member of the Glasflügel brotherhood ,

Mike
Oct 05, 2015, 02:34 PM
beautiful ship. Should be fun to watch this build.
Oct 06, 2015, 08:46 AM
Chris,
I love this plane and look forward to see your build.
Also very interested in aerodynamic issues of your build of a race version of the BS 1.
As I know you will produce the moulds with the use of an CNC-Router. Please show us pictures of this work too.
Oct 07, 2015, 06:01 AM

Tailplane

I have decided to NC machine patterns for all the flying surfaces (Wing, Tailplane , Fin). This is the only way to ensure an accurate geometry in the end.
The manufacture of the Tailplane pattern has started, it is the easiest part and only one pattern is required, because the airfoil is symmetrical.
We will pull two moulds of the same pattern, in which the tailplane will be laminated.
Oct 07, 2015, 10:09 AM
dare to thermal
Hello Chris, very intersting project! Can you tell us a bit about your aerodynamic concept to beat the AN-66?

/Bernd
Oct 08, 2015, 12:16 PM
yyz
yyz
Interesting how close the geometry of the BS 1 and AN-66 are. Maybe not so surprising since they're of the same vintage.

Chris,

Are you going with the all-flying tail or fixed stab and elevators? I noticed the Fineworx AN-66 ditched the spoilers in favor of landing flaps so the GPS triangle rules must be somewhat lenient in this regard.

Such a cool plane! Keep up the great work,

Mike

ps: Who wants to group build a Kestrel?
Oct 08, 2015, 12:30 PM
Mike,
there are two or three of the BS 1 that have changed the tail to a tail from the Kestrel (fixed stab). The BS 1 in the museum at the Wasserkuppe in Germany for example has the Kestrel stab.
Two of the BS 1 have also modified wings with 21m instead of the original 18m.
Chris has therefore some possibilities to optimize his GPS racer and being inside the rules.
Last edited by Christian Baron; Oct 16, 2015 at 02:16 PM.
Oct 14, 2015, 08:45 AM

Doing some research

The last week very little building happened because I had to do a sprint visit to Germany.
But there was enough time to visit the Glider Museum at the Wasserkuppe.

I also met up with Christian Baron, a BS1 fan and very knowledgeable person when it comes to Model Gliding. His speciality is composite structures, so we had a good time exchanging thoughts and ideas
Oct 21, 2015, 02:55 AM
The first version of the BS1 fuselage has been modelled on CAD
Oct 25, 2015, 11:42 PM

tailpane skins

The first set of tailplane skins have been laid up.
The elevator will be split and each elevator will be driven via one servo that is mounted inside the tailplane using a Linear drive system (LDS).

This is a safety feature that I have used on all my latest scale gliders, after I have seen one scale glider returning to mother earth after a servo failure on the elevator. The chances of both servos failing at the same time is very slim, and mostly you can land the glider on one elevator.
Oct 26, 2015, 05:03 PM

Good thinking Chris

Yip, I use two elevator servos too. It makes sense. It is probably the most important control on the airplane.

What is the lay up Chris? I can see what looks like green foam. Can you describe it for us?

Allan
Oct 27, 2015, 05:44 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Subscribed
will be following along, the BS-1 can be a better machine for GPS racing?
cheers
Mike
Last edited by mikegbogh; Dec 11, 2015 at 09:17 AM.
Oct 28, 2015, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK1
Yip, I use two elevator servos too. It makes sense. It is probably the most important control on the airplane.

What is the lay up Chris? I can see what looks like green foam. Can you describe it for us?

Allan
The green foam is a 1,5 mm thick Herex foam, easy to shape but still very tough, The layup is fairly conventional, using a 80 gsm spreadtow carbon as the outer layer
Oct 28, 2015, 01:02 PM
Gave up on gas
Chris, this looks like a very precise build. Your molds look very smooth, some fine work.

I can't tell from the photos. but it looks like you were using a 13mm ball end mill for rough milling operations Was your stab mold done with a single cutter operation? I curious as to how much much tool step-over you used.

Craig.