BluCub Profile FF J-3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 13, 2004, 12:35 AM
Crash Master
Build Log

BluCub Profile FF J-3

Obviously inspired by Thatovalguy's BirdDog, here's my contribution. I've been pecking away at this for a while, and made a few changes from the angles TOG was using, to make it fly a little more to my liking, with the excess power I seem to enjoy.

I re-scaled a plan I had done a year or so back, to similar wing dim's as TOG's BirdDog, since I think it's the perfect size airplane for the DCM-189 motor. I had a 24 & 30" J-3 that I had built with a full fuse for IPS, but I never liked the way they flew. I finally went to balsa, and designed my 20" PicoPiper, which flies quite well for such a little guy. I was in search of the perfect IPS plane back then...

Anyway, here's a couple pictures and the plans. Have fun with it!

Edit: Seems the public wanted more than just 'another J-3', so through Peer Pressure and other forces, the Porky Piper was born. scroll on down, and give it a shot...

Edit: Generation 2 is here!
Last edited by Gene Bond; Jun 19, 2006 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Adding BluCub2
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2004, 04:07 AM
What goes up must come down..
Gene.
What did you used for the coloring (finishing) here?
Jul 13, 2004, 07:46 AM
Crash Master
The Paint is just the regular (cheap) craft paint, thinned and foamed brushed (hey, it IS a foamie ). The Black is Sharpie. There's also some yellow tape covering some of the equipment...

Edit: Here's the 3D version Posted in #345 or so...
Last edited by Gene Bond; May 04, 2005 at 10:46 PM.
Jul 13, 2004, 08:25 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
What can ya'say??? It's a CUB....!!!! NICE!!!!!! and specially optimized for the DCM-189....Gotta'love it!!!
Jul 13, 2004, 08:32 AM
Crash Master
Now, I think I may 'Fatten' her up, or 'impregnate'?... Whadya say, a 'ChubbyCubbie' or 'PregnantPiper???? (TubbyCubbie is taken by Watt-Age's poor attempt, of which I can truly vouch) ( http://www.genebond.rchomepage.com/video/cubby-vid.avi )

Too many pictures floating around in my head...
Jul 13, 2004, 09:24 AM
Crash Master
Hmmmm.....
Jul 13, 2004, 09:39 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Now yer' talking!!! Aerocalories!!! Gotta' be a Floater!!!! COOL!!!...Real airfoil ,huh???
Jul 13, 2004, 04:53 PM
sensitive artsy type
How about "Great Expectations", "Mama Bear", "Baby Cub on Board"
Jul 13, 2004, 04:56 PM
Crash Master
Hey Glen, How's about an incentive?

Treetop has a great idea there.... Think your pen could whip something up for some original tail art? hint, hint
Jul 13, 2004, 11:45 PM
Crash Master
OK, If anyone want's to be the tester

Here's the Pregnant Piper... or Portly Piper?... or Jelly-Belly J-3?... or Chubby Cubby?... or...

Edit 7-25-2004, Fixed some more errors on drawings, new ones uploaded here
Last edited by Gene Bond; Jul 26, 2004 at 12:10 AM. Reason: New Drawings, Corrected some errors (again)
Jul 14, 2004, 12:52 AM

Tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
OK, If anyone want's to be the tester

Here's the Pregnant Piper... or Portly Piper?... or Jelly-Belly J-3?... or Chubby Cubby?... or...
I built one this afternoon by scanning your original post and blowing it up to the scale size. I flew it tonight, first with a GWS 100 and then with a GWS 300 c gear with a J250 inserted. Any guesses which I prefer.

It flew with the 100 but was really labored to gain height. Once I put the 250 in it, yikes!! I needed to turn down the controls quickly. Rudder was way to sensitive and elevator (did you notice how big the elevator is). I set my low rates at 40% for elevator and 50% for Rudder, it flew nice and gentle at that setting. If you go back to 100%, its quick on the sticks but its fun. If I build another one, I'll add more dihedral. I only have about 1 1/2" total, it turns fine but would be a little more stable with that increased.

Overall, a fun plane. I'll try to take a picture and post later.

thanks Gene for another fun plane.

Terry Alley
Jul 14, 2004, 06:54 AM
Crash Master
Way to go, speedy! Sounds exactly like what Glen and I found on the Fat Beech There's just something about small, gentle control throws and these Fatso's that seem to go together.

Yes, I'd think with the shorter span you'd need even a little more dihedral than the full span, to get the response. On the BlueCub, I used 2.5" per side. I'd guess you'd want this or even a hair more...

Thanks for the feedback! Glad it's fun
Jul 14, 2004, 07:04 AM
What goes up must come down..
Gene,
on these fatso's the pilot also needs a ladder to climb in! LOL! it clears the prop alright! gezzz a "Girafe" Cub!
Any pic's of it in the air to share with us?
Roger B.
Jul 14, 2004, 09:41 AM

Pics of the pregnant piper

Here are a couple of pictures of the piper. As you can see, not nearly as much dihedral as needed. I may cut the wing and add more in. All up weight less battery is 8.7 oz. I was flying with 1100 mah lithium ions from Goldmine which way another 2.5 oz.

Terry
Jul 14, 2004, 06:42 PM
Crash Master
Hey Terry, Looks like you did exactly as I did for the L/G mounting It seems to be the most solid I've tried. I used Spiderwire and CA to lash the bottom. Did you use a tie-wrap?

What are those cool wheels?

At lunch today, I was cruising the aisles at Lowes trying to find some good materials to make some BIG FAT WHEELS. If they'd had the pipe insulation in 1" or maybe 1-1/2", maybe.... I like these: http://www.foamfly.com/gallery/Wheels/aac If you could just get them